Disney Too Expensive? | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Too Expensive?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 19, 2009
Southern US not Fl
Nearly 50% of Disney World enthusiasts say they postponed a trip due to the costs

I am not hating on them but trying to wring out every last cent is going to push folks to Universal and in front of me in line :)

I am an out of state passholder to Universal .
I never could get Disney Annual Passes(when they were available) to make sense money wise $1400.00 ea means 10 days in park just to break even over day tickets
I go to Universal 3-4 times a year for 4-5 days at a time For $440.00 a year (renewal price)
I do all those trips for what one 5 day trip to Disney would cost (Cabana Bay with Passholder discount)

I am waiting on Black Friday to see if Seaworld Discounts Annual Passes May get them if a deal is to be had .
A few years back they did buy one get second free .

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I mean the parks are packed, so thank god some think it is....lol

Honestly as a Disney fan I think its just funny I see people saying that Disney cost too much, that rides aren't maintained well and that many newer rides rely too much on screens and aren't that great......yet people keep going. So why the hell would Disney change?

I mean the parks are packed, so thank god some think it is....lol

Honestly as a Disney fan I think its just funny I see people saying that Disney cost too much, that rides aren't maintained well and that many newer rides rely too much on screens and aren't that great......yet people keep going. So why the hell would Disney change?
I think branding is too strong for any personal boycott against Disney to amount to anything at all. and frankly I think it's kind of silly to imply that you have to abstain from the parks as a whole to criticise the direction they're going in considering the scope of the Disney company. They have been both profitable and creatively driven before, I don't think it's obtuse to think that can still be the case, especially with an overall more profitable Disney Company than ever before.

Reactions: youhow2 and Mad Dog
People have ALWAYS said Disney (and any other theme park) is too expensive. It's just like going to a ball game, or the movies, or a theater, or a concert. Things cost more. But it's supposed to be a splurge not a daily thing or even a monthly or yearly thing. People have always saved up for vacations and spent more than they thought they would. It's part of a vacation.

Reactions: shiekra38
Disney is King of the Brands. That enables even bad mgt. decisions to succeed. Disney has little to fear for the next decade. The concern may be that their long term brand strength wanes due to their present short term decisions. Mgt.,
at all levels probably doesn't care if short term decisions will hurt Disney long term, since they won't be here then and meanwhile they're raking in the big bucks on bonuses and such.

Whats insane is after 9/11 Disney was in such a bad spot. Look at the movies coming out then and the theme parks were really dead but after Princess and the Frog and them finally making more general merch they have just taken over.
But people saying disneyland cost too much, maybe WDW but Disneyland? My Dad loved taking us there in the 90's because it was a great deal and even the early thousands they had many cool deals like buy one day at Disneyland and get DCA free and hotels back then cost like 1/2 the price they do now.

It wont change but I do wonder if Universal third park will affect Disney even if slightly because I know if im paying the insane amount to fly out to Florida I want to go to IOA and Epic Universe over pretty much everything Disney has...I do want to go back to Epcot but thats it

Deluxe hotels notwithstanding, Universal is just as expensive as Disney, and pound-for-pound it’s about on par with a Cedar Fair park when comparing in-park food and merch. And it’s not just theme parks…I spent $16 on a burrito in the vicinity of the parks the other day.

I think it’s a jump to think Universal is going to gain attendance because of prices…more people are going there because there’s genuine interest in the attractions there.

Deluxe hotels notwithstanding, Universal is just as expensive as Disney, and pound-for-pound it’s about on par with a Cedar Fair park when comparing in-park food and merch. And it’s not just theme parks…I spent $16 on a burrito in the vicinity of the parks the other day.

I think it’s a jump to think Universal is going to gain attendance because of prices…more people are going there because there’s genuine interest in the attractions there.
In the past I wouldn't agree, but in the last year Universal has upped their hotel prices dramatically, so now that big Universal advantage over Disney is almost no more. Most of the time you can't even get the Stay More Save More
hotel rates that Universal strongly advertises. And their Deluxe hotels are getting close to Disney levels. The Deluxe Hotel Express pass is the only Universal advantage. So, yes, I agree. Universal is almost neck and neck with Disney on pricing.

It's more expensive to eat quick service/snacks at Universal (and SeaWorld) compared to Disney. Disney has higher quality in the quick service game too. You can purchase 4-5 Food & Wine options for around $20... you can maybe get 2-3 menu items during Mardi Gras or HHN nowadays.

Disney is still ridiculously expensive for some of its table service options.

The hotels are starting to creep up to Disney prices (but definitely way worth the value).

Couple thoughts. One, this thread feels like a Magic thread. Two, it seems like pure supply/demand. The demand is very high, almost like a bubble. Disney, for better or worse, is smartly increasing the price to try and find that sweet spot on the supply/demand curve. If they are charging this much and demand is still higher than supply (eg. Park reservations, hotel bookings), they will raise their prices again. They don't need to discount rooms at this point to fill them.

So, I may not like it but it makes total business sense. It's just strange that, in a period of extreme inflation and tightening of belts, people are still flocking like mad to WDW. As has been discussed, the parks don't really have down periods anymore with the exception of early September. I suppose that discretionary income was in a much better spot or people are just racking up debt.

Couple thoughts. One, this thread feels like a Magic thread. Two, it seems like pure supply/demand. The demand is very high, almost like a bubble. Disney, for better or worse, is smartly increasing the price to try and find that sweet spot on the supply/demand curve. If they are charging this much and demand is still higher than supply (eg. Park reservations, hotel bookings), they will raise their prices again. They don't need to discount rooms at this point to fill them.

So, I may not like it but it makes total business sense. It's just strange that, in a period of extreme inflation and tightening of belts, people are still flocking like mad to WDW. As has been discussed, the parks don't really have down periods anymore with the exception of early September. I suppose that discretionary income was in a much better spot or people are just racking up debt.
It will be interesting what 2023, and a potential worldwide mild recession, brings to the table. Disney rarely discounts hotels much, and when they do it's very limited to a few rooms here and there, even in bad times.
I'm guessing they will maintain their pricing structure. Their brand is still that strong....But I'm guessing Universal may have to soften some of their now elevated hotel rates if a recession cuts into tourism, which will
probably occur. And by next year the post covid tourism rush effect will also probably slow. Business reports are already showing a decrease in tourist hotel rates nationwide. It just hasn't affected Orlando yet, but it probably
will sometime in 2023. Bottom line, I see Universal cutting rates closer to what they were before this vacation rush that essentially filled all their hotels. Universal is more vulnerable to supply and demand variations since
they don't have a brand nearly as strong as Disney. .....Just my opinion, and guess, though. Time will be telling............and...the reports on credit card debt are that's it's increasing rapidly. It had dropped significantly during the covid
lockdowns. Recent reports are that the numbers are reaching all time highs. So, that ends up hitting a wall after a while. No doubt tourism drops next year even with international travel restrictions loosened. UK & Brazil are
experiencing economic issues.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
It's almost like Disney raising their prices has driven people to Universal, who is raising their prices due to the new demand.
Not really how it works homie. You forecast demand, not react to it (at least when you’re a company that size of UO/Comcast).

Disney is using pricing more as a deterrent and crowd control than anything else

I know this because Bob-O has said it several times

Disney is simply not enjoyable when it's over crowded (and btw neither is Universal)

Universal is responding to overcrowding with a new park, Disney is responding by putting caps on things and intentionally plateauing its attendance

It's funny because I've seen a ton of think pieces on how Disney is going to "respond" to Epic Universe...I'm not sure they view Epic as a totally terrible thing tbh

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Disney will continue to attempt their model of crowd control while sprinkling in overpriced attractions every couple of years, and continuing to enhance the "guest experience" through things like Genie+

For everyone that gripes and complains about things being "too expensive" while typing it out on their iPhone, I have to ask the question, what's your solution to the issue? Lower prices? I'm not sure the consequences of that have been fully thought out by the #DisTwitter thought leaders.

All in all, if it keeps 50 percent of Disney enthusiasts out of the parks then it has all been worth it.

Disney is using pricing more as a deterrent and crowd control than anything else

I know this because Bob-O has said it several times

Disney is simply not enjoyable when it's over crowded (and btw neither is Universal)

Universal is responding to overcrowding with a new park, Disney is responding by putting caps on things and intentionally plateauing its attendance

It's funny because I've seen a ton of think pieces on how Disney is going to "respond" to Epic Universe...I'm not sure they view Epic as a totally terrible thing tbh

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Disney will continue to attempt their model of crowd control while sprinkling in overpriced attractions every couple of years, and continuing to enhance the "guest experience" through things like Genie+

For everyone that gripes and complains about things being "too expensive" while typing it out on their iPhone, I have to ask the question, what's your solution to the issue? Lower prices? I'm not sure the consequences of that have been fully thought out by the #DisTwitter thought leaders.

All in all, if it keeps 50 percent of Disney enthusiasts out of the parks then it has all been worth it.
Good points. Yes, Chapek has basically inferred, without using those words, that he couldn't care less about the hard core local AP fans that come to the park very often but don't spend much money.....I'm no Chapek fan but
I'm glad they're limiting attendance with reservations. I'm not generally a fan of that concept, but without that limit Disney gets way too crowded for comfort. I religiously follow the Touring Plan line times, and except for DHS, Disney
is in a better place than overcrowded Universal. I'm actually going to do a full vacation exclusively at WDW in the spring of 2023 for that reason. .....Anybody following my posts here, over the years, knows I've been one of Universal's
biggest boosters. But I've been taking a break from Universal until they, or a recession, solves their capacity issues, which have become a problem, except for the past few weeks.

• Love
Reactions: snayberry
Not really how it works homie. You forecast demand, not react to it (at least when you’re a company that size of UO/Comcast).

lol so if you have more demand than you forecasted you don't react to it?

We are in the middle of unprecedented times. No one nailed this forecast. Everyone predicted a belt tightening this summer, but it's still record numbers in the entertainment sector.

But on this topic specifically, if you don't think there are people who have been priced out of Disney that have turned to Universal, you are in denial bro.

The problem is Disney doesn't actually follow an actual dynamic pricing structure. They NEVER backtrack on room rack rates. The Marriott Key Largo reacts to post pandemic revenge travel by raising the $225/night room to $650/night knowing that after they burn through the pent up demand they will go back to around where it was pre-pandemic. Universal, too, will drop their rack rates. It will be interesting to see what Disney does.

The problem is Disney doesn't actually follow an actual dynamic pricing structure. They NEVER backtrack on room rack rates. The Marriott Key Largo reacts to post pandemic revenge travel by raising the $225/night room to $650/night knowing that after they burn through the pent up demand they will go back to around where it was pre-pandemic. Universal, too, will drop their rack rates. It will be interesting to see what Disney does.
Yes, I agree and expect Universal to drop their hotel rack rates if, as many expect, tourist demand drops next year. They took full advantage of a heavy demand for the hotels this year that basically filled almost all their hotels consistently.
And, you're right, Disney won't drop prices. That's not their way. Even when they advertise a discount, the number of rooms made available are so small it's tough to find one that qualifies. Right now they're trying to use their traditional
discounts as a way to get more Disney plus subscribers. It's the power of Brand.

Good points. Yes, Chapek has basically inferred, without using those words, that he couldn't care less about the hard core local AP fans that come to the park very often but don't spend much money.....I'm no Chapek fan but I'm glad they're limiting attendance with reservations.

I'm not generally a fan of that concept, but without that limit Disney gets way too crowded for comfort. I religiously follow the Touring Plan line times, and except for DHS, Disney
is in a better place than overcrowded Universal.

I'm actually going to do a full vacation exclusively at WDW in the spring of 2023 for that reason. .....Anybody following my posts here, over the years, knows I've been one of Universal's
biggest boosters. But I've been taking a break from Universal until they, or a recession, solves their capacity issues, which have become a problem, except for the past few weeks.
I'm actually becoming a bigger fan of Chapek the more he settles in.

APs are security to theme parks to ensure that a group will always show up. Disney doesn't need that as they...well..are Disney and have a ridiculously large fanbase that will "always show"

An annual pass system can actually become detrimental in Disney's case and I think Bob-O is smart to adjust it

I don't have numbers but I bet ya passholders are more likely to not pay for Genie+, bring a packed lunch, buy less in stores, and all the while clog up the midways and queues

Universal certainly has its busy days, their solution is high capacity attractions...those work to a certain point

Epic will be a blessing for UO in many ways

It's actually kind of interesting because an undercrowded park feels abandoned and an overcrowded park feels uncomfortable...Universal and Disney have to figure out the center point where they can still continue to profit..so...you know...they don't close and stuff