Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Too Expensive?

Those Express passes surely inflated the day's cost. Universal has gotten more expensive, primarily due to higher hotel costs that may not carry over a year from now, but this looks more like a poorly planned vacation than anything else.
Not much of a 'marketing expert' with that plan :lol:. I guess money is not an issue for this family.

Completely agree. We stayed at Royal Pacific to not have to buy Express and saved money for just the two of us. Staying at WDW and going to IoA/UNI with their Uni Express and two park tickets made my credit card smoke for a little while. Didn't have to purchase Express or the "park hopper" but CHOSE to. This is one thing that bugs me on various levels. We all make choices and the costs come with it. If I choose to stay at a WDW moderate or deluxe hotel, there is a cost associated versus staying offsite. I don't go griping, though. It is my choice and may not be the best choice but it's mine.

Going to WDW or Universal is going to be an expensive trip in many ways. The tickets, even base tickets, are expensive. Far more expensive than touring the Smithsonian or visiting a national park (both of which I fully enjoy). It will ultimately come down to when I decide that going isn't worth the expense.

I think the word "expensive" is getting confused with "value"

and THAT's where I have the big issue with Disney

Universal has rolled out several great attractions (in IOA at least) and continues to add value by fixing up its park, redoing needed areas, and of course, expanding

Disney is expanding but *painfully* slowly

This is where Universal feels more "affordable" and Disney doesn't

It gets harder and harder to justify higher prices for the same experiences...or worse

This is very much an Iger issue

Disney doesn’t need to necessarily respond to Epic in my opinion. Despite what the reports say they are still king in theme park game. In the Orlando market Universal definitely gives them a run for their money but I don’t think they are equally matched yet until the new park opens.

As a theme park fan, hate what they are doing. But from a realistic business operations point of view, they are doing the right thing. Even with EU coming online, its not like magically everyone onsite will move to a Universal hotel overnight.

I think Disney is more terrified of Endless Summer/Cabana than the parks themselves.

Oh they definitely will be watching how this this new expansion turns out for Universal. According to someone on the WDWMagic forums Disney has approved over $6 billion in Capex. So I guess over the next 5-10 years we will see if they are serious about these “blue sky” concepts.
Without context, that could be anywhere from a lot to basically nothing.

Globally, the Parks & Resorts capital "budget" is way, way, way higher than that.

As a theme park fan, hate what they are doing. But from a realistic business operations point of view, they are doing the right thing. Even with EU coming online, its not like magically everyone onsite will move to a Universal hotel overnight.

I think Disney is more terrified of Endless Summer/Cabana than the parks themselves.
If you think about it Disney has been investing billions into WDW the last couple of years. Now whether or not people liked what that entailed they did add to their capacity at two parks as Tron and Ratatouille did not “replace” anything. Guardians and the Play Pavilion can be considered as restoring “lost”capacity.

If you think about it Disney has been investing billions into WDW the last couple of years. Now whether or not people liked what that entailed they did add to their capacity at two parks as Tron and Ratatouille did not “replace” anything. Guardians and the Play Pavilion can be considered as restoring “lost”capacity.

Tron isn't adding much to a park that is severely under-invested in.

And they have been spending lots of money on things that don't necessarily impact your experience - larger park entrances, infrastructure upgrades, etc.

Tron isn't adding much to a park that is severely under-invested in.

And they have been spending lots of money on things that don't necessarily impact your experience - larger park entrances, infrastructure upgrades, etc.
I think infrastructure upgrades definitely help your experience regardless if it directly impacts you imo. The parks are old so it takes a lot to keep them going.

The depressing fact is that Disney isn't too expensive. They are selling out regularly. So obviously there is still a market at these prices and services. So, in reality, they could go higher until they find the breaking point. Does that price out a lot of people? Yes. But as long as they still have willing customers, so that's a working business strategy.

I just don't get how they don't get that expansion is in their best interest. Yes they can raise prices to find the breaking point, but increasing capacity at the parks and resorts pays for itself. You make more money off two people at $100 a head than one at $150.

At MK last night I realized that expansion isn't really feasible unless they intend on running 2 nighttime shows a night. Hub/Main Street was filled to the brim... what's the point of increasing park capacity if you can't really add that much more capacity for fireworks viewing.

At MK last night I realized that expansion isn't really feasible unless they intend on running 2 nighttime shows a night. Hub/Main Street was filled to the brim... what's the point of increasing park capacity if you can't really add that much more capacity for fireworks viewing.

Again, the expansions, any expansions, need to go into DHS and AK. Build those parks to have more capacity and that will solve a little of MK's overcrowded conditions. Or will increase the number of people attending.

Again, the expansions, any expansions, need to go into DHS and AK. Build those parks to have more capacity and that will solve a little of MK's overcrowded conditions. Or will increase the number of people attending.

Oh absolutely DHS and AK need additional expansions... but it won't alleviate MK's popularity. MK will still be the #1 park visited in Orlando and a "must-do" for all visitors. All the other parks are interchangeable.

I think some don’t realize expanding capacity at a Disney or Universal park is not the same as opening something new at Six Flags and Cedar Point.

Most regional parks have to constantly add stuff to keep people coming through the gates. Building a new land in HS or AK is not going to magically make the parks any less busy. Of course it will give visitors more to do but that’s it.

I think some don’t realize expanding capacity at a Disney or Universal park is not the same as opening something new at Six Flags and Cedar Point.

Most regional parks have to constantly add stuff to keep people coming through the gates. Building a new land in HS or AK is not going to magically make the parks any less busy. Of course it will give visitors more to do but that’s it.
Yes but a brand new park would spread out the crowds better.

Those Express passes surely inflated the day's cost. Universal has gotten more expensive, primarily due to higher hotel costs that may not carry over a year from now, but this looks more like a poorly planned vacation than anything else.
Not much of a 'marketing expert' with that plan :lol:. I guess money is not an issue for this family.
Also judging by the price of express it was not that busy a day, either that or they bought the after 4 express. There are days were express is $200 or more.

Look, Disney's always been expensive. Always. But I feel things are different NOW than they have been in the past:

1. They have shifted a lot of the crowd management they would handle onto guests. Aka - park reservations, genie+, etc.
  2. Lots of included stuff is now extra. Parking at resorts, Genie+, etc.
  3. The overall quality of offerings doesn't match the price point. I wouldn't give two poops if the Contemporary cost $900 a night if the resort deserved it. But it doesn't. This goes beyond Disney being "expensive" and instead being a rip-off. "Disney magic" used to be customer service and quality. Now it's "we have Star Wars, Frozen, and Marvel."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, our last trip to Disney is probably our last trip to Disney. For the money we spent for a week, we could have Cruised for a month, or stayed on the beach for a month, or did multiple week long vacations. Hell we could have done at least two weeks at Uni. Granted, we didn't do it as cheap as we could have. We did higher end high end hotel, ate at nice restaurants, etc. The hotels are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. And the service is not what it used to be. That was one of the bigger letdowns. Our last big disney trip years ago and our Disneyland trip, one of hte things we took away was how helpful staff was. How happy everyone seemed to be. This time, it just wasn't the same.

But people keep paying it, so.....

Yeah, our last trip to Disney is probably our last trip to Disney. For the money we spent for a week, we could have Cruised for a month, or stayed on the beach for a month, or did multiple week long vacations. Hell we could have done at least two weeks at Uni.

Echoing @belloq87 I’ve never understood this line of thinking. Theme parks are a one-of-a-kind experience that can’t really be compared to the alternatives you listed.

I can also think of a million vacations that are more expensive than Uni/Disney. You ever been to Wailea? Switzerland? Even Paris? Vacations are meant to be expensive.