Disney Too Expensive? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Too Expensive?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Echoing @belloq87 I’ve never understood this line of thinking. Theme parks are a one-of-a-kind experience that can’t really be compared to the alternatives you listed.

I can also think of a million vacations that are more expensive than Uni/Disney. You ever been to Wailea? Switzerland? Even Paris? Vacations are meant to be expensive.

A cruise is a one of a kind experience. An all exclusive is a one of a kind experience. Going hiking in the Grand Canyon in a one of a kind experience. Saying that they don't compare to a theme park is ignorant. Just because they aren't the same type of experience don't make them any less of a vacation. A vacation can be anything. A vacation can be tent camping in a National Park. It doesn't have to be expensive. You are basically saying only rich people should vacation.

A cruise is a one of a kind experience. An all exclusive is a one of a kind experience. Going hiking in the Grand Canyon in a one of a kind experience.

But that’s what I’m saying, you wouldn’t compare hiking in the Grand Canyon to sailing in Cabo…because they’re one of a kind experiences. The parks (the Orlando parks specifically) offer something unique and just because a cruise is cheaper doesn’t really mean anything because you wouldn’t compare any other dissimilar, unique experiences.

Anyway, before it gets ugly I’ll bow out of this conversation for good, but just want to put on the record…

You are basically saying only rich people should vacation.

…this is NOT what I’m basically saying, it’s not a belief I hold, and I apologize if a comment I made insinuated that or insulted anyone.

Reactions: Darko and belloq87
This whole argument just comes down to value. Some view the cost of a Disney vacation worth the value. Some view the cost as high against the value, so they’d rather use that cost, even as a partial payment, towards a different type of vacation. You’re all right - dependent on your worth of the value.

Last edited:
Soooo, it's looking like Disney is anticipating some attendance challenges in 2023. Some nice room discounts, and even a lot of availability (a rarity) for discounted rooms, just popped up. I got the email and immediately called to modify my April trip room reservations. A nice 25 % savings (even though Disney rooms are high to start with). They also have a dining credit available for summer for wdw hotel guests. ....Looks like those 2022 post covid stimulus crowds might just not stick around.....And, miracle of miracles, I only had to hold on the phone for a minute or two. :grin:....and, this promotion, unlike those in 2022, was open to everyone, not just Disney + subscribers and Vacation Club people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
Soooo, it's looking like Disney is anticipating some attendance challenges in 2023. Some nice room discounts, and even a lot of availability (a rarity) for discounted rooms, just popped up. I got the email and immediately called to modify my April trip room reservations. A nice 25 % savings (even though Disney rooms are high to start with). They also have a dining credit available for summer for wdw hotel guests. ....Looks like those 2022 post covid stimulus crowds might just not stick around.....And, miracle of miracles, I only had to hold on the phone for a minute or two. :grin:

We shall see. Recession fears are still sparking up and the post-Covid travel explosion has to be running out of tinder. It amazes me (even as one who still enjoys going to WDW) that the parks have the staying power. WDW has reached the point where it is really too expensive for us to stay there without changing our approach. I have slowly broached the idea of staying offsite but that hasn't been well received yet. I know people who travel there two or three times a year and I have no idea how they swing it.

Reactions: Freak and Mad Dog
We shall see. Recession fears are still sparking up and the post-Covid travel explosion has to be running out of tinder. It amazes me (even as one who still enjoys going to WDW) that the parks have the staying power. WDW has reached the point where it is really too expensive for us to stay there without changing our approach. I have slowly broached the idea of staying offsite but that hasn't been well received yet. I know people who travel there two or three times a year and I have no idea how they swing it.
We don't stay there very often anymore. This upcoming trip is mostly to make up for lost time and WDW is kind of fresh since it's been a while. Plus Universal wasn't a desireable option in the past year due to extreme overcrowding (worse than WDW) and their huge explosion in deluxe hotel rates. So, I'll wait till Universal comes back down to earth in 2023. Universal acted very Disneylike in 2022, taking undue advantage of the demand. A small recession should help a return to theme park normalcy.

We don't stay there very often anymore. This upcoming trip is mostly to make up for lost time and WDW is kind of fresh since it's been a while. Plus Universal wasn't a desireable option in the past year due to extreme overcrowding (worse than WDW) and their huge explosion in deluxe hotel rates. So, I'll wait till Universal comes back down to earth in 2023. Universal acted very Disneylike in 2022, taking undue advantage of the demand. A small recession should help a return to theme park normalcy.

We stayed at Royal Pacific last February for $300+ (cannot remember exactly but it was still less than $400/night) which is rougly the same as Disney's moderate resorts. However, we walked to IOA/UNI and had UNI Express Pass built into that cost (I know that I'm talking to people who know all this). So, I think that Universal is still less expensive than Disney but the difference is closing. I think that the discounting of rooms and the dining card thing shows that Disney is trying to stay ahead of an expected slowdown. Tron may give a bump but money is still money, especially if you don't have any. I think that Disney's bigger concern is that 1) The cost may not be justifiable for fewer and fewer amenities with increased costs and 2) Disney doesn't have anything on the docket to combat Epic.

Reactions: Mad Dog

I'm hoping Universal is actively trying to figure out its operations, seems as if they can always get away with things WDW will get hammered for. The overcrowding of IOA nowadays has shown just how vital entertainment is to the park experience... something without having to wait in a line for a 4-5 minute experience.

Ok, hear me out, the quick service prices seem to be way more aggressive than I remember (in a good way)

I'm pretty sure I paid more at SW and BGT than Disney

SeaWorld/Busch has the most expensive in-park dining options. $9.99 for Dippin Dots...

Universal is 2nd, and Disney is the cheapest quick service & counter service option. (and the best quality/service too)

Never understood how Disney can charge $4.50-$5.50 for most Food & Wine/Flower & Garden options, and Universal/SeaWorld somehow charge $10+ for their seasonal events. Universal still has that regional park operations mentality.

I'm hoping Universal is actively trying to figure out its operations, seems as if they can always get away with things WDW will get hammered for. The overcrowding of IOA nowadays has shown just how vital entertainment is to the park experience... something without having to wait in a line for a 4-5 minute experience.

SeaWorld/Busch has the most expensive in-park dining options. $9.99 for Dippin Dots...

Universal is 2nd, and Disney is the cheapest quick service & counter service option. (and the best quality/service too)

Never understood how Disney can charge $4.50-$5.50 for most Food & Wine/Flower & Garden options, and Universal/SeaWorld somehow charge $10+ for their seasonal events. Universal still has that regional park operations mentality.
Yes, SW very much tries to push you into their AP program, it's almost a necessity if you want some normal pricing, while Disney tries to get you to extend your stay

I feel Universal tows the line with both sometimes

I would say all three hide costs elsewhere, but at Disney, if you spent a lot, it felt like you *chose* that

This is a purely Epcot-centric opinion fyi

We stayed at Royal Pacific last February for $300+ (cannot remember exactly but it was still less than $400/night) which is rougly the same as Disney's moderate resorts. However, we walked to IOA/UNI and had UNI Express Pass built into that cost (I know that I'm talking to people who know all this). So, I think that Universal is still less expensive than Disney but the difference is closing. I think that the discounting of rooms and the dining card thing shows that Disney is trying to stay ahead of an expected slowdown. Tron may give a bump but money is still money, especially if you don't have any. I think that Disney's bigger concern is that 1) The cost may not be justifiable for fewer and fewer amenities with increased costs and 2) Disney doesn't have anything on the docket to combat Epic.

Premier hotels went from a fantastic value to a solid value, especially if you "need" the Express Passes. Compare this to Disney's Deluxe resorts which have abandoned the whole concept of value. That's kinda what the issue has always been, Disney might be more expensive but it wasn't too overpriced for what you got. Now that's all off.

Premier hotels went from a fantastic value to a solid value, especially if you "need" the Express Passes. Compare this to Disney's Deluxe resorts which have abandoned the whole concept of value. That's kinda what the issue has always been, Disney might be more expensive but it wasn't too overpriced for what you got. Now that's all off.

Completely agree. It's the difference between expense and value. Value-wise, UNI's hotels, particularly their Premier level, have a much higher value than Disney's hotels of similar cost. From an expense point of view, I was just saying that, while UNI is still less expensive, their prices have gone up a little (along with everything else) and are not that much less expensive.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Completely agree. It's the difference between expense and value. Value-wise, UNI's hotels, particularly their Premier level, have a much higher value than Disney's hotels of similar cost. From an expense point of view, I was just saying that, while UNI is still less expensive, their prices have gone up a little (along with everything else) and are not that much less expensive.

I agree, was just trying to steer the conversation back on topic. ;)

Maybe they are starting walk back costs
Beginning this evening, Jan. 10, overnight self-parking will once again be offered complimentary to guests staying at Disney Resort hotels at Walt Disney World.

Reactions: Bort
They gave back a small token to make people feel better. No other prices are being lowered or fees dropped.

They're in contract negotiations with the workers unions right now and it's going to be a sizable adjustment when it's all settled.

Reactions: JoeCamel
My poor baby Dinosaur... Leave her be, you monsters!! :afraid:

Generally though, I hope this is true and we see results very soon! I haven't been quiet about my desire for new WDW projects to look forward to.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming months, but it seems like this entire idea of reducing attendance and increasing guest spending per capita hasn't worked out. Magic Band was designed to improve the guest experience by reducing time in queues and spending more time eating/shopping, but they forgot that people go to a theme park to actually ride rides and see shows.

Hoping WDW goes through a capacity boom for all of its parks. (Epcot is the exception, decent capacity but lots of wasted capacity from Figment/Mission Space/Gran Fiesta/SSE)