Disney+ | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Netflix had a very disappointing quarter, subscriber wise. Wonder of Disney Plus is affecting it?
I think Netflix has sort of hit a cap on their US audience, tbh. They don't have much more to gain that can afford it. Add in the influx of streaming services like Disney+, Peacock, Hulu, HBO Max, Apple TV+, CBS All Access, etc.

I just don't think they have much more room to grow in the States at least. Disney+ is an economical option and Peacock has a free option. I won't sit here and act like HBO Max is a huge competitor though. Even though Max has some great content, it's $15/month, is struggling subscriber-wise (as far as simply HBO Max subs go - Warner count HBO subs as part of Max, which really is cheating bc they don't get the full Max library).

Could also just be people cutting back on spending in general.

That said, Disney's going all in on streaming so maybe there's something there
I think we should hear in a few weeks what the current subscriber count is. It was 60.5M at last count... but remember, the Verizon 1-year deals are coming up, so they may not be gaining subs in the coming months as much as simply trying to retain them with Mando, Soul and WandaVision.

Last edited:
I think Netflix has sort of hit a cap on their US audience, tbh. They don't have much more to gain that can afford it. Add in the influx of streaming services like Disney+, Peacock, Hulu, HBO Max, Apple TV+, CBS All Access, etc.

I just don't think they have much more room to grow in the States at least. Disney+ is an economical option and Peacock has a free option. I won't sit here and act like HBO Max is a huge competitor though. Even though Max has some great content, it's $15/month, is struggling subscriber-wise (as far as simply HBO Max subs go - Warner count HBO subs as part of Max, which really is cheating bc they don't get the full Max library).

I think we should hear in a few weeks what the current subscriber count is. It was 60.5M at last count... but remember, the Verizon 1-year deals are coming up, so they may not be gaining subs in the coming months as much as simply trying to retain them with Mando, Soul and WandaVision.
Good points. I'm not really the audience for streaming services so I don't have a good feel on Disney's effect, short of covid probably helping the inauguration of their streaming service. As someone who uses Disney plus, does
it seem like Disney's offerings, to this point of time, are strong enough to retain their early subscribers?

It will be interesting to see how many people keep Disney+ once it's no longer free with their Verizon account. I got the reminder from Verizon the other day that on November 16th they start charging me for Disney+, and I'm not sure it's worth the $6.95 they're charging. I have a feeling that's why Soul is being offered "free" to subscribers-- they really want to keep people on the hook for that dough!

Reactions: Coasted
It will be interesting to see how many people keep Disney+ once it's no longer free with their Verizon account. I got the reminder from Verizon the other day that on November 16th they start charging me for Disney+, and I'm not sure it's worth the $6.95 they're charging. I have a feeling that's why Soul is being offered "free" to subscribers-- they really want to keep people on the hook for that dough!
I think they'll see some dropoff, but for some nonactive users it will fade into the sea of other recurring payments they've forgotten about.

Reactions: RevFreako
I think they'll likely see some dropoff as @PerceptiveCoot said. Not everyone who got the plan may have been interested in getting Disney+ if it wasn't free, anyway. I think once we start getting a consistent flow of these Marvel shows though (and so much other Disney+ content is being filmed right now as well), they'll either come back as Disney+ subscribers or someone who hadn't subbed yet will take their place.

I think they'll likely see some dropoff as @PerceptiveCoot said. Not everyone who got the plan may have been interested in getting Disney+ if it wasn't free, anyway. I think once we start getting a consistent flow of these Marvel shows though (and so much other Disney+ content is being filmed right now as well), they'll either come back as Disney+ subscribers or someone who hadn't subbed yet will take their place.
I'd agree. Lots of people have been waiting on those Marvel shows, and it looks like Marvel is teeing up both Wandavision and F&WS to be essential components of the MCU's future.

It's definitely a good thing though that Mandalorian won't end its second season till after the free year ends.

Looks fine, sure it will make me laugh once or twice...but man if they got the Robot Chicken guys we'd have a classic on our hands

What I like with this season, is the seeming mixture of both.
Last season, we had 2, 2-3 episode arcs that had a overarching narrative and with this season, we're going back and covering the standalone episodes from Season 1 and referencing them, while continuing the main thread on finding a Jedi who can train The Child.

Do I like this episode? No. But I understand the why of this episode existing as long as Chapter 10 can continue the narrative thread, as I'm going to take a crack we'll see Sabine with how things are coinciding with the promo material. It'd establish a new Mandalorian for the live action circuit, and pave the way for the arrival of Ahsoka in Dave's Chapter 13.