Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DisneyForward Expansion Project

Am I the only one who didn’t notice Wakanda’s mountain range in the concept art? I think this is the first public acknowledgment Disney has plans for Black Panther attractions.
Look for the kitty.

CE96DFA3-D5A7-4509-AE8C-3B86C9076197.jpeg

It's inside DCA right after the alternate entrance. The dead giveaway is something that looks like this statue, with the panther's right leg outstretched in the same position.

Attachments

• 217C0360-28D0-443E-9004-FE7AF5B5CB21.jpeg
    217C0360-28D0-443E-9004-FE7AF5B5CB21.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 5
So if it's just a zoning issue, and they aren't seeking tax breaks or public funding, then what issues would they be running into besides noise complaints, which could likely be rectified with sound barriers and placing show building parallel to the suburban areas?

I want to come back to this. Disney has asked for zoning changes twice and never got them. This is clearly another attempt to change the zoning but built with more public goodwill (yay new rides!) behind it. Even Disney says they expect the full process to take two years before it's changed.

Again, we must not look at the concept art to get an idea of what they are doing. They are changing zoning to allow attraction development which could be for MANY different things such as more conservative approaches and more ambitious approaches than shown.

I want to come back to this. Disney has asked for zoning changes twice and never got them. This is clearly another attempt to change the zoning but built with more public goodwill (yay new rides!) behind it. Even Disney says they expect the full process to take two years before it's changed.

Again, we must not look at the concept art to get an idea of what they are doing. They are changing zoning to allow attraction development which could be for MANY different things such as more conservative approaches and more ambitious approaches than shown.

Yeah, we'll have to see what the city allows for after these talks are done. I do think that the existing zoning agreements should be updated and Disney knows exactly what they are doing dropping this after a year+ long closure. The pressure is all on the city and now every online publication is talking about this "expansion" only adding to that pressure. Obviously Anaheim took a hit last year and Disney is a majority of that.

Also of note though, The Honda Center and Angel Stadium are both planning on completely revamping the areas around their complexes in the coming years. The Honda Center announced their new plan which seems to be moving forward and Angel Stadium is in pretty early talks of doing something very similar. Just something interesting that is also happening in the city at the moment!

There's so much misinformation out there about this project. Not sure if it helps or hurt Disney either way.
No, one I've told about what they want thinks its a bad idea.

Most think its a good idea to make Disneyland finally a real resort

Can anyone tell me in this case why the city would say no? I get the parking lot last time which even I was against but this new plan seems to be a big win for the city

No, one I've told about what they want thinks its a bad idea.

Most think its a good idea to make Disneyland finally a real resort

Can anyone tell me in this case why the city would say no? I get the parking lot last time which even I was against but this new plan seems to be a big win for the city
The way the resort updates were pitched last time was an effort to create a “Disney Bubble” which kept visitors inside the resort by routing them around and above the local businesses. This helped create ill will with the locals which doomed support for the project. This new pitch does not have the same tone so it may be better received and supported

So all of this concept art means nothing........but hey.....look! It's Wakanda!.....lol.
Not uncommon for various reasons. Anyone remember the original concept art Universal released for Beijing? It is nothing like what they built.

kv-1.jpg

Can people even tell what’s in the Disneyland concept art? It looked like a bunch of mountains but all the same, I was purely speculating of possibilities.

Any expansion to DCA would get me to visit there for sure, so I hope this happens.

The way the resort updates were pitched last time was an effort to create a “Disney Bubble” which kept visitors inside the resort by routing them around and above the local businesses. This helped create ill will with the locals which doomed support for the project. This new pitch does not have the same tone so it may be better received and supported
Difference is fans are getting something out of this deal...3+ E Tickets and a few new lands with other fun rides/attractions. Last time it was just a parking lot which they do want to build another (which is a good idea) but throwing in some fun things with it is why most people want it...along with the easy tax dollars to be made and thousands of jobs that go on forever and construction jobs for the next ten years.
Plus if I was Disney I'd push that the most "parks" we have the more future construction and updates we can do

Not uncommon for various reasons. Anyone remember the original concept art Universal released for Beijing? It is nothing like what they built.

kv-1.jpg

True.....but comparing a brand new early Universal park concept in China to an expansion concept of an established Disney Park in Anaheim isn't exactly apples to apples. Disney literally threw out the names of possibilities. Of course not everything that we see or hear will be in this expansion if approved but some will be....and the layout will probably be very similar to the art. There seems to be a huge amount of anguish from many over this......not sure that I get that. WDW Resort has always been taken for granted.....it would still attract HUGE numbers of visitors even if they closed 50% of their rides. Disneyland on the other hand depends on locals....and they need to come up with creative ways to attract new visitors, increase number of days at resort, and increase spending.....this is the way to do it.

I got some marketing items about the project in the mail from Disneyland. I'd imagine local residents will be getting those to make them aware of the project. It even came with a card to fill out and send back if you support the idea haha.

I got some marketing items about the project in the mail from Disneyland. I'd imagine local residents will be getting those to make them aware of the project. It even came with a card to fill out and send back if you support the idea haha.
Pictures of this?

Just interested in seeing seeing how they are campaigning for this

Pictures of this?

Just interested in seeing seeing how they are campaigning for this

I don't have any at the moment since I'm not at home but it's essentially the website in paper form. The only other additional things that were included were a letter from Ken Potrock and a little card to send back if you approve of the idea.

Coming back to this, I have mentioned before that I was "eh" about this, but the more I think about the possibilities of what can go in that spot, the more unexcited I am about this.

Of the "potential concepts" that Disney has proposed, all of this sounds like bland, cut-and-paste, and feels like "what should've gone in Fantasyland but we want to keep Autopia and the FL Theater". I want to see something unique and semi-original. If China can get original rides, so should we.

They should save that spot for something different and interesting. I know this is semi-unrealistic, but I would really love to see a "Villain's Kingdom" land of some sort. DLR could use another good coaster and something different. Save Frozen for the Autopia track. DLR could use a little more thrill and something unique.

Coming back to this, I have mentioned before that I was "eh" about this, but the more I think about the possibilities of what can go in that spot, the more unexcited I am about this.

Of the "potential concepts" that Disney has proposed, all of this sounds like bland, cut-and-paste, and feels like "what should've gone in Fantasyland but we want to keep Autopia and the FL Theater". I want to see something unique and semi-original. If China can get original rides, so should we.

They should save that spot for something different and interesting. I know this is semi-unrealistic, but I would really love to see a "Villain's Kingdom" land of some sort. DLR could use another good coaster and something different. Save Frozen for the Autopia track. DLR could use a little more thrill and something unique.
I'd love Villains land but I'll bet a coke its safe stuff. Marvel, Star Wars, Animated Disney and Pixar.

I mean... doesn’t it make sense to (even if they were to do completely original stuff in that area) not announce anything original when no plans are set in stone? To be fair imagineering probably hasn’t done much more than general blue sky proposals for the area but by the time this would be approved, I’d imagine what disney would want to put there would look a whole lot different. They don’t want to show new creative to people to allow them to re zone some property. It would be a big loss for them, especially if it didn’t come to fruition (westcot, Disney’s America, port disney). It’s safer to just say “this is what we’ve been building around the world; if you let us use our entire property for the parks, you might get something like this in Anaheim as well!” I wouldn’t write off this expansion just because of what they showed as potential candidates to use the space. Some new franchise might be Disney’s little precious by the time construction on this expansion commences, if it ever does.

If it's theoretical, then why announce it this early. You're setting people up for dissapointment.

EDIT: Also why do this when so many other attempts to make Disneyland a global resort destination have fallen short, any especially when you still have important pre-existing areas to grow in like
A. The unused areas of Fantasyland
B. The area behind Pixar Pier
C. Hollywoodland
D. The rapidly aging Tomorrowland
A Hollywoodland revamp is actually dependent on the the Eastern Gateway happening so they can get that transportation hub behind it to expand in. It would not shock me if this is one of the first areas to be revamped in DL forward. Though I still wonder what the theme of the area would be when they get to address it. Maybe an area themed to Walt Disney Animation Studios proper with no Pixar?

Since the change of how the parks work now (genie plus and all that)

Ill be excited to see what they do but I doubt I’ll go much
Like it would just cost sooo much, I’m assuming to see all three parks and get on every attraction I’m interested in