Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Resort

Wow. So what’s their plan moving forward? One reason I moved to SoCal was to go to DLR all the time. Will there be another AP-like option?

Wow. So what’s their plan moving forward? One reason I moved to SoCal was to go to DLR all the time. Will there be another AP-like option?
I feel the same. In the article it’s mentioned they are planning “membership” options for guests with different tiers. I hope it’s not a convoluted mess to get into the park with a membership, and I hope this only lasts through their capped attendance, but this is really a blow to the so cal locals that call Disneyland home

This makes a lot of sense for when the parks reopen.

There’s going to be a lot of pent-up demand for Disneyland after over a year closed.It’s easier to manage reopening when you don’t have to worry about all of the APs. At the same time, AP holders (locals who make up the majority of guests) will be furious and vow vengeance if they’re not allowed in immediately.

There’s absolutely no way that Disneyland won’t have APs long-term.

Wow, that's risky. They had over a million paying customers that were APs alone and now that you take it away (and with prices being what they are now), they may have a much harder time rebuilding that AP base going forward. Although I believe it's been said that DLR has wanted to do this for some time. COVID just gives them cover for doing it.

If they offered a membership that has a set number of visits with no blackout dates I think it’s an okay idea, they need to offer discounts and free parking for all the Signature and Platinum passholders

Annual passes have been a nightmare for DLR for years, and if there was ever a time to rethink how they work, it’s now. There have been more than a few rumors of them implementing something that resembles a mixture of a DTC monthly subscription service and the Flex Pass. Basically, your “subscription” permits you X number of reservations per month. The highest tier would essentially be unlimited while the lowest tier would offer the least days per month, particularly in the summer. One or two mid-tiers in between. Would be a “use it or lose it” model, too. They’d still charge you even if you don’t make a reservation for the month. Just something I’ve heard.

Pre-Covid there was going to be tiered flex passes. Guessing it will be silver, gold, and platinum.
Personally, if they offered a cheap silver pass I wouldn't get it with what they've done to all those workers.

The letter sent to passholders suggested a new "membership" program, just like Six Flags and BGW have been doing. Calling it a membership I believe has tax implications for the company. I remember working for B. Dalton Bookseller (the old mall division of Barnes & Noble) and selling memberships somehow made it free from certain tax obligations on the income that other income incurs. They can then offer an array of memberships that correspond with the levels of passes, but can charge ongoing fees rather than having people renew each year. Most people who get memberships just put it on a credit card and let it keep going without thinking about it, even if they're not using it.

Annual passes have been a nightmare for DLR for years, and if there was ever a time to rethink how they work, it’s now. There have been more than a few rumors of them implementing something that resembles a mixture of a DTC monthly subscription service and the Flex Pass. Basically, your “subscription” permits you X number of reservations per month. The highest tier would essentially be unlimited while the lowest tier would offer the least days per month, particularly in the summer. One or two mid-tiers in between. Would be a “use it or lose it” model, too. They’d still charge you even if you don’t make a reservation for the month. Just something I’ve heard.
Yes. My guess is that your post is close to what will happen. They've been looking for ways to relieve those AP attendance crushes in the evenings. This will be their excuse to reinstitute an AP program that is more use restrictive, less generous than the present one.

Short term: there's basically no way the current system would have worked effectively with reduced capacities.

Long term: restructuring the program to reduce the value proposition of APs is critical for continuing to increase profits.

This is smart. Once the parks reopen, there's going to be a massive rush for a long time as all the hard core Disney fanatics pack the park. That's going to last them at least 6 months, at which point they can see where they're at.

If they do go to memberships, it'll be hilarious that they'll be copying Six Flags (the first amusement park to offer memberships that I know of)... I'll bet rabid Disney fans will just love that comparison

After a week of rather questionable choices from the company, this is news that honestly makes sense. It's no secret DL had it's fair share of issues with the sheer amount of AP'rs, so the parks being closed for a while is a good time to purge the old system and restructure.

I'm in the same boat that they'll probably bring in membership akin to a Flex Pass. Easier to keep track and control the crowds with reserved visits.

I am soooo happy.

There will not be a few months of the parks not full. I hope They never have AP's come back with All Days. I don't care if you are paying a million dollars, I want limits. bronze level gives you 8 days (most weekends blocked out), Silver (12 days a year more weekends freed up) and then Gold (20 days a year most weekends open but ones near Hoildays and Holidays are blocked)

That is all I want is the parks to not always be at 7/10...it is nice to have quiet days at the parks and think most AP's would come back with limits. Disneyland Ap's are addicts they will take whatever they can get

This like the third time I've said something and websites picked up on it. I should just start my own blog smh
I literally said this on the last page or so, too. It wasn’t really a secret. It was pretty well known that Disney was looking to do this, they just didn’t know how to justify it. COVID gives them the cover to do it.

I've always wished they had a pass that was good for 12 visits a year, no blackout days (or limited blackout days). It'd nearly be a win-win in that I get a value, while Disney gets some semblence of guest control by people not going 5 times a week for a year.

That said, I suspect it'd turn into a grand flex pass system as well... while it could be a pain to book high demand days, at least you'd know where you stood and Disney can better plan for projected crowd levels. Seems like the best compromise.

Has something like this ever been done for theme parks? Almost like private golf clubs with annual dues and green fees. Something like $500/year + $50/visit, $300/year + $75/visit, $100/year + $100/visit. They would make a lot of money upfront, like how Costco makes so much upfront on membership fees. This would get guests to spend at least $1000/year if they visit at least 10 times.

Has something like this ever been done for theme parks? Almost like private golf clubs with annual dues and green fees. Something like $500/year + $50/visit, $300/year + $75/visit, $100/year + $100/visit. They would make a lot of money upfront, like how Costco makes so much upfront on membership fees. This would get guests to spend at least $1000/year if they visit at least 10 times.

I think fans will still compare it to the old tier system so $100 per visit for 10 visits won’t be worth it. Really, the “regulars” are screwed under this system.

I was anticipating buying the $600 tier AP and going 4-6 times a year. One thing I was looking forward to was the ability to just go one evening randomly and take in the atmosphere. Now I’m going to want to get my money’s worth. So it might come down to an annual 3 day blow out visit staying onsite versus a pass that lets me visit 5 times a year.