Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

It is funny looking back at the hope in this thread in 2012 and talk of Imagineers cleaning up the "muddled mess of a park" and yet here we are and they've ploughed money in and it is actually maybe in a worse state? Don't get me wrong, I am very excited personally to see TSL and SW:GE but I grew up with both IPs. Disney is going to lose some serious grip when EU opens. I say that as someone from a family who has vactioned at disney since I was three years old. My family are shifting more days to Universal with each trip purely because of how hard Disney are now making the experience. Add in to that another park at Universal that is brand new? I honestly can't see any other way this goes. Disney will still retain the custom but I don't think the dedication will remain if they continue. I know a little off topic of DHS but it goes resort wide I feel.
I don't think it's in worse shape at all. It certainly needs a lot of help still, but it's 100% a much less muddled park, but the problem is what they did to the park feels like it was only half of what needs to be done. They still have Animation Courtyard, and imo literally anything and everything from Commissary Lane to Echo Lake to fix.

The Muppets area also feels like a waste of space. Expansion off of Sunset is needed. An RNRC retheme needs to happen sooner than later and honestly if you want to give Star Tours a retheme or demolish it for a better use of space, I won't fight that. The building where the frozen show needs to be demolished too imo. BatB needs to be replaced.

And finally, Indy deserves a ride. I love the show, but I don't see it that much and a high capacity E and maybe a C or D ticket for an Indy mini-land would be a much better use of space than that stage. Orrr, they could use the Echo Lake space to build out an Adventure themed land around different IPs Disney owns. Think Indiana Jones/Planet of the Apes/Pirates (Live Action) each getting a mini land sort of like Fantasy Springs at TDS.

Last edited:
I don't think it's in worse shape at all. It certainly needs a lot of help still, but it's 100% a much less muddled park, but the problem is what they did to the park feels like it was only half of what needs to be done. They still have Animation Courtyard, and imo literally anything and everything from Commissary Lane to Echo Lake to fix.

The Muppets area also feels like a waste of space. Expansion off of Sunset is needed. An RNRC retheme needs to happen sooner than later and honestly if you want to give Star Tours a retheme or demolish it for a better use of space, I won't fight that. The building where the frozen show needs to be demolished too imo. BatB needs to be replaced.

And finally, Indy deserves a ride. I love the show, but I don't see it that much and a high capacity E and maybe a C or D ticket for an Indy mini-land would be a much better use of space than that stage. Orrr, they could use the Echo Lake space to build out an Adventure themed land around different IPs Disney owns. Think Indiana Jones/Planet of the Apes/Shanghai Pirates each getting a mini land sort of like Fantasy Springs at TDS.

Totally get what you are saying. It is absolutely in a better place than it was but it is in an in-between state of where it was and where it needs to be and it currently, D23-pending, doesn't seem to have a vision for how they are going to get there. To add to that I genuinely do not think a lot of people will fully believe any plans they put in place because of the way the Epcot Overhaul is going with plans being promised and then changed and changed. Muppets could do with more real estate to truly dedicate to them but I would also understand losing the IP completely from the park. Do kids these days love the Muppets like they did in my childood? Not sure, genuinely. I'd love it if they did. Star Tours needs to go and so does Tatooine Traders, as well as Launch Bay. They're just stuck in no man's land and not making sense in the grand scheme.

Indy absolutely deserves more than what is currently there. It is a huge franchise so surely deserves more. Either that or give it to another property but Indy makes the most sense. RNRC needs to become something else but genuinely don't have any suggestions for it. There's lots of options but they all would require more real estate to make sense? I do like the Echo Lake space being made in to an adventure themed area very much!

Totally get what you are saying. It is absolutely in a better place than it was but it is in an in-between state of where it was and where it needs to be and it currently, D23-pending, doesn't seem to have a vision for how they are going to get there. To add to that I genuinely do not think a lot of people will fully believe any plans they put in place because of the way the Epcot Overhaul is going with plans being promised and then changed and changed. Muppets could do with more real estate to truly dedicate to them but I would also understand losing the IP completely from the park. Do kids these days love the Muppets like they did in my childood? Not sure, genuinely. I'd love it if they did. Star Tours needs to go and so does Tatooine Traders, as well as Launch Bay. They're just stuck in no man's land and not making sense in the grand scheme.

Indy absolutely deserves more than what is currently there. It is a huge franchise so surely deserves more. Either that or give it to another property but Indy makes the most sense. RNRC needs to become something else but genuinely don't have any suggestions for it. There's lots of options but they all would require more real estate to make sense? I do like the Echo Lake space being made in to an adventure themed area very much!
I'm totally with you that it's in an in-between stage, but in-between is better than an utter mess. We need that next step though.

Unfortunately, we haven't heard much of any rumors for D23 announcements. I kinda expect something for the Primeval Whirl plot since DAK is in desperate need for help and there's just a giant plot of land waiting for something to be built on it sitting there. The most i'm expecting from D23 right now is a Tron opening date, Fantasmic opening date, and a Splash Mountain closing date. Anything of true significance for WDW will be a surprise as there's currently zero rumors, even with DAK. I have to feel like they have at least one thing up their sleeves, but we'll see.

The "park" itself sucks - devoid of any real identity/theme. There are several sections of the park that feel cold (Animation Courtyard, ABC Commissary, Echo Lake) with zero to do and nothing of interest.

The park is in desperate need of a proper high-capacity nighttime show (if only they had one), modernized shows, and high-capacity attractions.

Visited last night, and the crowds easily command a 10 PM closure on most nights.

I'm totally with you that it's in an in-between stage, but in-between is better than an utter mess. We need that next step though.

Unfortunately, we haven't heard much of any rumors for D23 announcements. I kinda expect something for the Primeval Whirl plot since DAK is in desperate need for help and there's just a giant plot of land waiting for something to be built on it sitting there. The most i'm expecting from D23 right now is a Tron opening date, Fantasmic opening date, and a Splash Mountain closing date. Anything of true significance for WDW will be a surprise as there's currently zero rumors, even with DAK. I have to feel like they have at least one thing up their sleeves, but we'll see.

Definitely feels like it needs more but I can't see anything happening until we are in the 2030s, at least. This is with their also ever-increasing construction times (pandemic did have an impact but they can't keep dragging that line around now).

I am with you there also. I don't see anything coming beyond your list but the hope is always there for something more and even more so that they will deliver on what is originally promised but the decisions seem to go from bad to worse and be less and less guest-centric. I'm 50/50 on whether we we will see anything not already mentioned or that is to re-open and it is pure hope and wishes that make up the positive 50%.

I agree about Indy needing a larger/different presence and a themed ride and area would be awesome, but I would be just as devastated if they got rid of the Muppets show and courtyard.

Not exactly what happened here, but seems sudden:
hollywood-blvd-facade-repairs-09262022-2.jpg

Definitely feels like it needs more but I can't see anything happening until we are in the 2030s, at least. This is with their also ever-increasing construction times (pandemic did have an impact but they can't keep dragging that line around now).

I am with you there also. I don't see anything coming beyond your list but the hope is always there for something more and even more so that they will deliver on what is originally promised but the decisions seem to go from bad to worse and be less and less guest-centric. I'm 50/50 on whether we we will see anything not already mentioned or that is to re-open and it is pure hope and wishes that make up the positive 50%.
Considering Disney did a weird public bluesky session with the audience at D23, it seems like the top priorities for future expansion is Animal Kingdom (which needs it) and expanding Magic Kingdom behind Big Thunder. Unfortunately that leaves Hollywood Studios as the odd man out for expansion for the foreseeable future. Much like Epcot's "overhaul" its a step in the right direction but it needs more, but it looks like that's all its going to get for the next decade or so.
Insiders have claimed the Shanghai Pirates boat tech was proposed for this park (rumored to be for an Indy ride) but was competing against 2 other WDW parks, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I'm not sure if any park landed the ride system, but Hollywood Studios could have totally used an E-Ticket flume ride themed to Indy to anchor a land. This system could possibly be for the new Moana boat ride that's coming to Animal Kingdom, I'm not sure.

Considering Disney did a weird public bluesky session with the audience at D23, it seems like the top priorities for future expansion is Animal Kingdom (which needs it) and expanding Magic Kingdom behind Big Thunder. Unfortunately that leaves Hollywood Studios as the odd man out for expansion for the foreseeable future. Much like Epcot's "overhaul" its a step in the right direction but it needs more, but it looks like that's all its going to get for the next decade or so.
Insiders have claimed the Shanghai Pirates boat tech was proposed for this park (rumored to be for an Indy ride) but was competing against 2 other WDW parks, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I'm not sure if any park landed the ride system, but Hollywood Studios could have totally used an E-Ticket flume ride themed to Indy to anchor a land. This system could possibly be for the new Moana boat ride that's coming to Animal Kingdom, I'm not sure.
From what I understood when they teased the Coco, Encanto, and Villains land for MK, it sounded like they would settle on one of the three for a land. And villains got the best reception from the crowd. So if they did something behind Big Thunder villains it would be. Coco and Encanto would also be better fits for Epcot BTW. As for Hollywood Studios, maybe what will replace Hollywoodland at DCA could be cloned for DHS. One of the ideas I proposed for DCA to replace Hollywoodland would be a catch all area themed to classic Disney Animation Studios no Pixar. One of the attractions that would be cool to see would be one that would involve teaming up with the Disney Princesses to stop some sort of major bad guy.

If only but doubtful, sadly.

DHS could use some smaller additions to keep it fresh but Disney is just not in that frame of mind lately. It's E or nothing, which is unfortunate.

Looking back; it’s funny that the reason this park exists was because Eisner wanted to show off Universal. Both this and USF were meant to be “studio parks”. For both cases the studio theme was a failure and is pretty irrelevant now but while USF is a successful park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is just… okay and definitely the least interesting of all the Disney Parks in Florida.

Looking back; it’s funny that the reason this park exists was because Eisner wanted to show off Universal. Both this and USF were meant to be “studio parks”. For both cases the studio theme was a failure and is pretty irrelevant now but while USF is a successful park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is just… okay and definitely the least interesting of all the Disney Parks in Florida.

To call the studio theme a failure seems rather ridiculous. It served its purpose for both parks for many years until times changed.

In many ways the "studio parks" aim to turn the idea of "themed experience" inside out.

Where as Haunted Mansion appears to be a functioning Haunted Mansion (when really it's just a clever facade and a well hidden showbuilding)

In a studio park the showbuilding is the facade and the "haunted mansion" is tucked away inside

What was once an attempt to "hide" is now part of the experience, creating an experience where peering behind the curtain was no longer wrong, but part of the fun.

If you think about it, in Magic Kingdom, if you see a showbuilding or go behind a facade, you are typically being e-vacd or somewhere you aren't supposed to be

However, Catastrophe Canyon showed you a disaster scene in a canyon and then drove around and showed you the back of that canyon as nothing more than a nest of steel and concrete.

It was a unique concept at the time and definitely something audiences ate up, not necessarily a "failure"...it just had a short shelf life before it became garrish and cheap (in appearance)

IMO Hollywood Studio's big issue is it wasn't as fleshed out as Universal Studios was upon opening.

Even with the additions of TSL and SW, I still feel this way.