Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
[video=youtube;cDGlN6mluGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA[/video]

RIP Sid's. One park per day, huh? Interesting. Guess it wouldn't make much sense then to buy a parkhopper, unless you schedule all of your FP+ for one park for morning or evening, but doesn't the guest have to spread out their FP+ return times though?

Last edited:
That gave me a headache.

I don't think so. Under three get into the parks for free.

But they do ask me how many are in the party when we make a reservation. So right now I have my wife and I and our 2 and 3 year old but not our 6 month old. Neither have tickets because they are under age so will they not need a FP+ to get on the ride with us?

In regards to a RFID shortage there is a little truth to that. Several of the nations largest companies, vendors, and distributors are continuing to roll out and test RFID chip placement on product UPC's. Within 10 years most household products you buy whether it be clothes, groceries, or other household items will contain RFID chips either on the product or within the UPC barcode itself. This will allow a single person to inventory and entire shelf within seconds giving them info on placement, expiration dates, call backs, price changes, and so on. So what took a team of 8-12 a day to inventory a 40k unit stockroom can be done by one person in roughly 15 mins in theory. It will also eliminate most scanning at checkouts which will cut down on waits, time to restock, and even allow customers and employees an exact location within your store of what their looking for. Imagine an app that links up to RFID sensors in your future smartphone giving you a detailed list of what your low on at home (milk, ketchup, and so on) and updating your list real time. Of course many bug to be worked out but you see just a blip of what's possible.

My point being RFID is being used worldwide on many different levels so even as we speak RFID production facilities are being built and even retrofitted into current factories and locations. My only problem with all of this is I know why there doing this. It's an investment for future cost cutting measures on a massive scale. 2Billion dollars is a stupid amount of money to invest in most people's eyes including mine but if your able to cut 4-7% of overall payroll on one of the worlds largest work forces annually then you begin to see why TDO and numerous Fortune 500 companies are getting behind this. It's just he beginning and Disney just happens to be the first real world application.

Sorry for blabbing on but people should be aware the days of trimming down work forces are well underway and multi billion dollar companies like Disney are utilizing technology in so many new ways to "trim the fat" while data mining and so on. Many many things are being learned from this process and very few are good for the economy IMO.

Reactions: jtsalien
But they do ask me how many are in the party when we make a reservation. So right now I have my wife and I and our 2 and 3 year old but not our 6 month old. Neither have tickets because they are under age so will they not need a FP+ to get on the ride with us?

They don't need a FP now, so they won't need a FP+ either. When we ride Barnstormers My husband and I each get a FP and then we each go with her separately, so she rides twice. But never have they asked for her FP because she is too young to have a ticket and therefore wouldn't be able to get a FP. So the new system would work the same way. While your children would be added to your reservation, they would probably not be counted in the FP count and would not get a ticket and/or band since they don't require one.

On a side note, Disney is testing this with CM and their families. They are having people stay in the hotels and giving them passes to test out this system. They are even having them do the dinner reservation part of it. Not sure how big of a CM group was selected to have their family members test this out, but I know of one CM that was selected and she asked her sister.

I still am waiting to see how this system plays out before complaining or hating it. It sounds like they are working out same day FP requests, so until I see it impossible to get Toy Story or Space Mountain unless you try 60 days in advance I am going to reserve judgement. I am liking the magic bands and can't wait to get mine. Was commenting the other day when buying stuff at stands holding my child that I can't wait to be able to swipe my band across vs. fumbling to get stuff out of pockets, bags, etc. I also can't wait to know longer have to deal with paper FP and storing them somewhere. So we will see, but so far I haven't seen any huge negatives unless they don't handle same day FP requests properly.

I personally think the things HTF was talking about are pretty neat. I think RFID to trim workforce is something similar to when machines were invented for manufacturing. Or computers for things that use to be done manually. Because both of these cut down on the number of workers in that particular field. Now the interesting part, is both of these also created jobs. The jobs to create the equipment, engineer the equipment, and maintain the equipment on the manufacturing side. Computers created millions of jobs programming computers, manufacturing them, supporting them, etc. So while RFID technology will reduce the number of low paying jobs, there are some ways it may increase skilled workers. Now where this creates a problem with the economy is you are getting rid of lower paying jobs that don't require an education and replacing them with higher paying jobs that require an education. But at the same point new companies will be invented and most all companies require some lower paying jobs for things like being a receptionist or mail room, etc. Our world has changed like this over the last 100 years many times and the part that I don't like is it does kill the majority of middle class jobs, which is going to be a HUGE issue.

Last edited:
They don't need a FP now, so they won't need a FP+ either. When we ride Barnstormers My husband and I each get a FP and then we each go with her separately, so she rides twice. But never have they asked for her FP because she is too young to have a ticket and therefore wouldn't be able to get a FP. So the new system would work the same way. While your children would be added to your reservation, they would probably not be counted in the FP count and would not get a ticket and/or band since they don't require one.

Aweosme, thank you :thumbs:

So, how will this effect my visit if I walk up to a ticket window around 11am, buy a ticket and walk in? What kind of experience will I get for my $100?

You've got to be kidding me! If anyone ever sees me ever wearing a shirt that says "im with the band" and it has nothing to do with actual music, please feel free to punch me.

Im shocked there isnt one that says "one band to rule them all"

I think ANYONE wearing ANY MagicBand T-Shirt is fair game! Seriously a T-Shirt for your tickets or room key?

Disney really can make money on anything, can't they? lol

I like the eggs with Micky Mouse's silhouette printed on the side. Step 1, crack the egg and through away the shell. Step 2, realize you wasted money on Disney eggs. Step 3, serve eggs with no sign of being Disney related.

Here is a thought. What if lets say you area school aged kids on a field trip for the day headed to Disney. Chances are most probably aren't pass holders and they surely aren't staying onsite and how many elementary/middle school aged kids have smart phones and would be able to sign up for MM+ anyways. Do these kids get screwed out of any of these fastpass+ and have to sit in the standby lines and perhaps miss out on a bunch of stuff?

So, how will this effect my visit if I walk up to a ticket window around 11am, buy a ticket and walk in? What kind of experience will I get for my $100?

Um, you can tinkle in brand new magically theme TANGLED bathrooms! Isn't that worth $100?