Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So while waiting at GMR on Thursday, I heard this little gem.

Gst - "Where do I get Fastpass?"
CM - "This ride does not have Fastpass"
Gst - "That sign there says it does..."
CM - "Oh, no that's for Fastpass Plus!"

So while waiting at GMR on Thursday, I heard this little gem.

Gst - "Where do I get Fastpass?"
CM - "This ride does not have Fastpass"
Gst - "That sign there says it does..."
CM - "Oh, no that's for Fastpass Plus!"

That's the main reason I cancelled Disney this year & for at least the next two. It will be pure chaos. Universal twice a year vacation for the near term.

Welcome Next gen mugs :lol: Although soem of the All Stars have had these for a little bit now

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/07/rapid-fill-mugs-coming-to-walt-disney.html?m=1

"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

Something new is coming to all the Disney hotels here in the Walt Disney World Resort in the next few weeks:

A new refillable mug program — Rapid Fill — will roll out at resort locations with self-service beverage stations at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. The introduction of these new mugs will take place in a phased approach beginning in July with Disney’s All Star Resorts, where the program originally piloted in 2011. The new Rapid Fill mugs have a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip installed in the mug that allows it to be programmed for multiple days (with the option of adding additional days) all the way through Guests’ entire length of stay (even more than 14 days, but they have to be CONSECUTIVE). Mugs will allow Guests to refill beverages at any resort self-service beverage station. Guests also will be able to check their remaining days available on the fountain beverage dispenser’s LCD communication display. Rapid Fill mugs may be purchased and used at any resort self-service beverage island. Disney Dining Plan Guests will receive this mug as part of their package.

Here you are just some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) you may have about the "Rapid Fill" mugs:

- What's the difference between the current Resort Refillable mugs and the Rapid Fill mugs?
The Rapid Fill mugs offer Guests flexibility by allowing them to choose one, two, or three days of refills or for their entire length of stay. The RFID (radio frequency identification) chip installed in the mug alerts Guests as to how many days they have remaining on their mug. The program was tested in 2011 at Disney’s All Star Resorts and is similar to the technology currently used in mugs sold at Disney water parks.

- Can non-Walt Disney World Resort Guests purchase and use the mug?
Yes. Anyone can purchase and use the Rapid Fill mugs at any resort self-service beverage station.

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.

- If the mug is activated for first use at 5 p.m., will the one day count until 5 p.m. the next day?
No, the day will end at 11:59 p.m. that night. Each day is a calendar day (12:01 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.), not a 24-hour period. Whenever the mug is used for the first time, regardless of time of day, the mug will expire for that day at midnight.

- Can the current water park mug be used in resorts?
No. The current water park mug is only valid in water parks, with no resort add-on option. However, Guests soon will be able to add a water park option for their mug.

- Can Guests purchase a Resort Rapid Fill mug anywhere at Walt Disney World Resort?
Resort Rapid Fill mugs may only be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort hotels with self-service beverage stations.

- If a Guest prefers not to purchase the Rapid Fill mug, can they purchase a regular mug instead?
The Rapid Fill mugs will be the only refillable mugs available at this time. Guests may choose to purchase
nonrefillable paper cups for their drinks if they prefer.

- Can mugs be microwaved?
No, the mug cannot be microwaved.

- What is the price of the Rapid Fill mug?
The prices of the mugs vary based on Guest preference for number of days for refills, as follows:
$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)
So, what do you think? Are you looking forward to use these new mugs, or... not? Tell us what you think.

Not a fan of it being a calendar day rather than 24 hr period. To me, it's a different situation than the UOR Coke mugs since this is at resorts.

I'm most interested in the non-refillable paper cups statement. While we're not ones that scam the system by bringing previous years' mugs w/ us, we do buy the current paper cups and refill once or twice during our meal when we eat at the resorts. Do they mean the paper cups are non-refillable on repeated visits, or non-refillable, period. How would they enforce this if the paper cups don't have RFID chips?

I'm most interested in the non-refillable paper cups statement. While we're not ones that scam the system by bringing previous years' mugs w/ us, we do buy the current paper cups and refill once or twice during our meal when we eat at the resorts. Do they mean the paper cups are non-refillable on repeated visits, or non-refillable, period. How would they enforce this if the paper cups don't have RFID chips?

The paper cups will have RFID chips and you will be allowed 3 refills.

I say fair play to Disney on this one, the amount of times Ive seen people using old or even non Disney mugs is ridiculous. Granted soda is very cheap to produce but the sheer amount of people cheating the system has caused Disney to act in this way. The people who use the system properly will have no problem using this new mug whilst the soda thieves will be up in arms as they will now have to pay for their sodas.

I say fair play to Disney on this one, the amount of times Ive seen people using old or even non Disney mugs is ridiculous. Granted soda is very cheap to produce but the sheer amount of people cheating the system has caused Disney to act in this way. The people who use the system properly will have no problem using this new mug whilst the soda thieves will be up in arms as they will now have to pay for their sodas.

I may or may not have manipulated the system on a few separate occasions #sodagate

I don't understand why you can't reactivate an old mug. Isn't that not cost effective? Disney will have to make even more mugs. Not to mention, I could see frequent visitors complaining because now they have dozens of mugs - which they'll just end up throwing away - instead of just a few for the whole family. My family always liked the water parks' mugs and brought them back every year, buying the reactivation stickers for $6 or so.

Not only would allowing previous mugs be cost effective but you would think it would be more environmentally friendly. I mean I still have mugs from back when Port Orleans Riverside was called Dixie Landings so its not like us frequent visitor don't save some of these things.

So I know someone who has been involved in many of the tests for the nextgen system. Testing things like the mugs, dining plans, fast pass, magic bands, etc. I can say that this system has been giving Disney some major headaches. Things do not work, people are having simple issues like not being able to get into the park. The linking seems to be the biggest issue. Linking a family together. Either one person ends up with all the tickets on their band or the meals are spread out and shouldn't be. Overall it sounds like a major fail and heads are rolling. They have several more tests coming up, but so far the to major tests have not gone well at all. This is supposed to be rolling out to DVC in weeks, not months, so this is a huge issue.

So I know someone who has been involved in many of the tests for the nextgen system. Testing things like the mugs, dining plans, fast pass, magic bands, etc. I can say that this system has been giving Disney some major headaches. Things do not work, people are having simple issues like not being able to get into the park. The linking seems to be the biggest issue. Linking a family together. Either one person ends up with all the tickets on their band or the meals are spread out and shouldn't be. Overall it sounds like a major fail and heads are rolling. They have several more tests coming up, but so far the to major tests have not gone well at all. This is supposed to be rolling out to DVC in weeks, not months, so this is a huge issue.

I wish there was a little emotion icon with a guy laughing hysterically while pointing at a Mickey head, but in the meantime this is the best that I could do :pound: => :ears:

I'm not surprised at all really. People high up probably wanted the system out ASAP. And they either ignored the people below them or those people were just afraid to delay the process. I'm sure that people at Disney knew this wasn't ready.

^^^^ I agree. The things I am hearing tells me that if they push this and go-live, their customer service lines are going to be longer than space mountain lines. Because people have been held up for 30 minutes or more at the gate alone. Can you imagine a family trying to get in first thing in the morning to ride a specific ride being held up that long because the tickets are not assigned to the bands properly?