Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I will say that MDX is a pretty decent app, on its own. However, where it falls apart is doing what it was really designed to do, interfacing with the NGE backend that is causing the massive amounts of headaches for both Disney and the guests testing the system.

I will say that MDX is a pretty decent app, on its own. However, where it falls apart is doing what it was really designed to do, interfacing with the NGE backend that is causing the massive amounts of headaches for both Disney and the guests testing the system.

Yes, I have heard this is a disaster. Looks like the front end stuff is fine, but whoever programmed the back end system is the issue. The whole next gen tying everything together is the main issue. I know selecting even the fast passes has been an issue, especially making sure they get tied to the right bands. Because a whole family would be under one account, one e-mail address. But sometimes you can't select for the whole family or if you can, sometimes it is not being linked to all the bands in the family. That I believe has been the main issue causing all the headaches.

These bugs should of been fixed ages ago, before the system was even thought of being released. With Disney's partnership with Apple they should of known better. Well I guess apple doesn't have to worry about it as they never change things.

You would be surprised of how often this happens with projects like this. Especially if testing was outsourced too. 3rd party vendors are awful at testing.

To give you an example of some things that I have witnessed. So we outsource some coding at my company now and they are supposed to test their own code before sending it to the end users for testing. Now we never trusted this (because we have been burned by contractors before) and so we do our own testing before it gets sent to the end users. So we would go to test it and things like we can't open the page occur, or saving the page after a basic update cause an error, the page still works the same way it did before the enhancement (hence nothing was done), the page is not lined up or things are spelled incorrectly, etc. Now you would think this would all be caught during their testing, but nope. So if they outsourced the testing in addition to the programming and this is the first user testing, well.... this is what happens. Keep in mind while we saw testing before, it was not with all the systems running. The testing going on now, is entry to the park with the magicband, dining plans, dining reservations (which I have heard of reservations being lost with this new system), fast pass, etc. This is everything, not just a small piece that was tested before.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/fast-pass-plus/

FASTPASS+ – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
If I don’t reserve access to FastPass+ attractions in advance, will I be able to experience my favorite attractions at the theme parks?

A. All attractions still provide a standby queue—assuming...
Q.
Do I reserve access to FastPass+ attractions when I book my vacation?

A. It depends on when you book your vacation. If you are...
Q.
What is FastPass+ service?

A. FASTPASS service has always been a great way to save time...
Q.
How do I use my MagicBand or card when I have a FastPass+ arrival time at an attraction or entertainment experience?

A. It’s so easy that you’ll think it’s magic! When you...
Q.
I am FastPass+ eligible, but I did not reserve access to FastPass+ attractions in advance. When I arrive at the theme park, can I still get FASTPASS tickets?

A. No. If you are FastPass+ eligible and you entered the park...
Q.
Will FastPass+ service make the attraction standby lines longer?

A. We do not anticipate that the attraction standby queues will...
Q.
I’m interested in using FastPass+ service. When I visit the theme parks, can I be spontaneous or does FastPass+ service require me to follow a strict schedule?

A. Spontaneity is at the heart of many Walt Disney World Resort...
Q.
Why is so much advanced planning necessary with FastPass+ service? With so much to do at Walt Disney World Resort, how can I be expected to make these kinds of decisions so early?

A. MyMagic+ allows you to plan as much or as little as you wish...
Q.
Is FastPass+ service complimentary?

A. Yes. FastPass+ service is complimentary for FastPass+...
Q.
Can I use both FASTPASS service and FastPass+ service during one theme park visit?

A. No. While FASTPASS service and FastPass+ service are both...
Q.
I have children of different ages, and they like different attractions and entertainment. Does FastPass+ service allow my family to do different activities?

A. Yes. We want every member of your party to have a great Walt...
Q.
How many FastPass+ experiences am I allowed to reserve access to for each day and for my entire vacation?

A. The total number of FastPass+ experiences available to you...
Q.
If I miss my FASTPASS+ arrival window, do I lose my opportunity to experience the attraction?

A. We understand that there are many unexpected situations that...
Q.
Can I select more than one FASTPASS+ attraction?

A. Yes. You can reserve access to multiple FastPass+...
Q.
I’m concerned that my vacation will feel over-scheduled if I have to reserve access to FastPass+ attractions in advance. Will I have the flexibility to change my mind when I arrive at the theme park?

A. Yes. You can modify your selections online with your mobile...
Q.
I don’t know the layout of the theme parks very well. Will FastPass+ service make it difficult to get from one experience to the next on time?

A. Don’t worry—when we suggest arrival window times we...
Q.
Is FastPass+ service like a restaurant reservation? Do I have to show up at a specific time for an attraction?

A. No—it’s better! For extra convenience, you are assigned...

I got chosen to test out the bands. I usually go to disney once a year (compared on once a month for universal), and this is my first time staying on site (pop century), we're also flying and using the disney shuttle to/from the airport.

I didn't look into it too much. I picked out the band and got my name on it to have it mailed to me. I was excited to get fastpass reservations in advance. I noticed I could only do three per day and only at one park. I did more research and called disney. You cant even use it to replace a regular fastpass after the 3 are up. Say for example you picked Dinosaur, Everest, and Safari in the morning at AK to finish before lunch and head to another park. You're finished. No more express for you at all the rest of the day. I wont be using the band. I called and they said i can get a regular ticket and use the normal fastpass.

here is a picture i took of them on instagram http://instagram.com/p/cFFWghtUBE/

(also i apologize if i covered something already i wasn't about to read 40 pages)

I got chosen to test out the bands. I usually go to disney once a year (compared on once a month for universal), and this is my first time staying on site (pop century), we're also flying and using the disney shuttle to/from the airport.

I didn't look into it too much. I picked out the band and got my name on it to have it mailed to me. I was excited to get fastpass reservations in advance. I noticed I could only do three per day and only at one park. I did more research and called disney. You cant even use it to replace a regular fastpass after the 3 are up. Say for example you picked Dinosaur, Everest, and Safari in the morning at AK to finish before lunch and head to another park. You're finished. No more express for you at all the rest of the day. I wont be using the band. I called and they said i can get a regular ticket and use the normal fastpass.

here is a picture i took of them on instagram http://instagram.com/p/cFFWghtUBE/

(also i apologize if i covered something already i wasn't about to read 40 pages)

Yeah pretty much details that have been mentioned before but still thanks for posting and sharing and for taking a stand and sticking with the paper tickets. Im curious to know how many others have refused the testing like you did.

Yeah pretty much details that have been mentioned before but still thanks for posting and sharing and for taking a stand and sticking with the paper tickets. Im curious to know how many others have refused the testing like you did.

I doubt many. Everyone seems excited to test new (to them) technology. To everyone else its something exciting that not everyone else gets to use and they can reserve fastpass (even if only 3).

Good for you! :thumbs: It's nice to hear people are opting out of this crap. One can only hope that enough people tell them to go choke on their magic bands!

So are they trying to limit FastPass usage with this? Or is that only what you were limited to in the testing phase?

No. It will be limited going forward. Which honestly is not a bad thing. By limiting it you have a better chance of getting fast passes and it also may make the FP lines shorter and in return shorten the regular lines. Once implemented it gives everyone a fair shot at the same thing. However in testing it SUCKS because other people can get more FP and it doesn't have any of the benefits.

No. It will be limited going forward. Which honestly is not a bad thing. By limiting it you have a better chance of getting fast passes and it also may make the FP lines shorter and in return shorten the regular lines. Once implemented it gives everyone a fair shot at the same thing. However in testing it SUCKS because other people can get more FP and it doesn't have any of the benefits.

No, it's NOT better for ME. If my idea of a "magical" trip to MK is to ride Space Mountain 8 times with a FP then Disney shouldn't be telling me I can't. And you can't double dip on the FP+ either so I get one ride and sit in stand by lines the rest of the day. No thanks. No more money for the Mouse in our household.

No, it's NOT better for ME. If my idea of a "magical" trip to MK is to ride Space Mountain 8 times with a FP then Disney shouldn't be telling me I can't. And you can't double dip on the FP+ either so I get one ride and sit in stand by lines the rest of the day. No thanks. No more money for the Mouse in our household.

But you're not forced to have these, are you?

But you're not forced to have these, are you?

You will be eventually. Once Fastpass plus is fully implemented everyone will be required to use it and the old Fastpasses as you once knew are gone. No more paper ticket, all reserved and all on the RFID bracelet or ticket

- - - Updated - - -

Its going to suck one any last min afternoon stops at the Magic Kingdom. Yeah you can try and reserve a ride but you will have to fending for scraps at that point.

Its going to suck one any last min afternoon stops at the Magic Kingdom. Yeah you can try and reserve a ride but you will have to fending for scraps at that point.

I know I am in the minority here with the wait and see approach. But with them adding rides and shows (I know, stupid to add imagination, even more stupid now that they are closing it) and with the limit of three, could this end up spreading things out so much that there will be last minute adds AND will it reduce standby waits on certain rides (Buzz) because they should not have had such huge lines before if it wasn't for FP? Just wondering... and really, not defending Disney here, just trying to give a different view/perspective. Because we all know Disney will find a way to screw this up and they have with all the issues they have encountered with linking and stuff like that.

I know I am in the minority here with the wait and see approach. But with them adding rides and shows (I know, stupid to add imagination, even more stupid now that they are closing it) and with the limit of three, could this end up spreading things out so much that there will be last minute adds AND will it reduce standby waits on certain rides (Buzz) because they should not have had such huge lines before if it wasn't for FP? Just wondering... and really, not defending Disney here, just trying to give a different view/perspective. Because we all know Disney will find a way to screw this up and they have with all the issues they have encountered with linking and stuff like that.

You know, I really don't have an answer for that :lol: Im curious to see how this situation ends up once it is fully implemented. We tend to go during some of the "slower" times of the year, if there is such a thing anymore, and usually are there for rope drop and do most of what we want just by using the stand by line and didn't use fastpass all that much most of the time and rarely wait in any lines over 20-30 min and if they are over that we will skip it. With the girls being so young we don't normally make it past the afternoon at the parks and usually hangout at the hotel pool the rest of the day, minus me sneaking away at night for some night photography :lol: So really really curious to see how this will effect the way we do the parks right now.

I know I am in the minority here with the wait and see approach. But with them adding rides and shows (I know, stupid to add imagination, even more stupid now that they are closing it) and with the limit of three, could this end up spreading things out so much that there will be last minute adds AND will it reduce standby waits on certain rides (Buzz) because they should not have had such huge lines before if it wasn't for FP? Just wondering... and really, not defending Disney here, just trying to give a different view/perspective. Because we all know Disney will find out a way to screw this up and they have with all the issues they have encountered with linking and stuff like that.

That's am interesting theory. But the same people will still want to ride Space Mountain, Fastpass or not. So while the FP line may be significantly shorter, those people who can't get FP will now be in Standby. So the line may move quicker, but in reality be just as long or even longer.

That's am interesting theory. But the same people will still want to ride Space Mountain, Fastpass or not. So while the FP line may be significantly shorter, those people who can't get FP will now be in Standby. So the line may move quicker, but in reality be just as long or even longer.

See this is what I was afraid of, standby lines being longer than they are now.

Yes and no. People from out of town that only come every so many years, yes, they will still wait in standby. But someone like me? If I can't get a FP for the major rides, I don't ride them. I can catch them the next time. My friends and family that come down more than once a year, if they don't ride something, they don't care. They will be back again. So it could weed out those people and that might help capacity.

Also, if that argument were true, why did standby lines get longer when FP started? Because that has been a huge issue for a lot of people on here, so you would think less in FP would decrease the standby wait.