Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes and no. People from out of town that only come every so many years, yes, they will still wait in standby. But someone like me? If I can't get a FP for the major rides, I don't ride them. I can catch them the next time. My friends and family that come down more than once a year, if they don't ride something, they don't care. They will be back again. So it could weed out those people and that might help capacity.

Also, if that argument were true, why did standby lines get longer when FP started? Because that has been a huge issue for a lot of people on here, so you would think less in FP would decrease the standby wait.

I see what you're saying, but I thin those visitors are becoming less the norm with the way Disney is trending. It could have an effect, but not the major drop people hope for.

I would think that if FP was dropped completely, but it's still going to exist and be heavily used for Soarin and the like. So it's still going to cause congestion.

Correct, with the influx of Fastpass and also allowing people to use their FPs PAST their allotted times, thats what ended up making the Standby lines so much worse. In time, this will actually HELP standby lines be shorter since less people will be using FPs for each ride.

I just have this gut feeling that this is going to make the standby lines longer than what we are seeing now. I really hope to be proved wrong

I also hope you are proven wrong. I can see some rides like Pirates and HM being slightly longer since they never had FP, but I am hoping current rides with FP will see a slight decrease.

See what I don't get is, wasn't one of the selling points for the original fastpass to have people spend less time in line and more time in shops and restaurants to get more in park spending? There is nowway with just 3 fastpass + in one day will this help you stay out of line.

This will help lines because if you limit people to only 3 a day, and lets be honest, on your BEST days, how many of you have actually been able to get 3 actual fastpasses?

Now that I think about it, it should probably end up just being the same as it is now :p

This will help lines because if you limit people to only 3 a day, and lets be honest, on your BEST days, how many of you have actually been able to get 3 actual fastpasses?

Now that I think about it, it should probably end up just being the same as it is now :p

Depending on our time of year, we could easily get 8 or 9 with PH.

I also hope you are proven wrong. I can see some rides like Pirates and HM being slightly longer since they never had FP, but I am hoping current rides with FP will see a slight decrease.

Sorry this bugged me, since the Haunted Mansion did have fastpass. Fastpass did not work well here and significantly raised wait times, and because of this the fastpass machines were removed in what many people hoped would be a permanent move. The whole NextGen/magic band is the reason Disney added the extra graveyard queue because they already know how much this is going to affect the Mansion's wait time.

Sorry this bugged me, since the Haunted Mansion did have fastpass. Fastpass did not work well here and significantly raised wait times, and because of this the fastpass machines were removed in what many people hoped would be a permanent move. The whole NextGen/magic band is the reason Disney added the extra graveyard queue because they already know how much this is going to affect the Mansion's wait time.

Those sneaky buggers :lol:

And here they are trying to pass of the interactive queue as something fun to play with in line all while they knew what was going on down stream with the Nex Gen stuff

I saw this coming a mile away. The first time I went through it I knew it had to be to add FP at a later date. It was stupid how you didn't have to go through it and skip part of the line. I knew they had plans for the future.

A review from DIS:
A few of us from The DIS team had the opportunity to test out Walt Disney World’s new MyMagic+ system, including MagicBands and FastPass+ this week during the first rollout of guest testing. Starting on August 2nd, certain resorts including Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, and The Contemporary were chosen to offer the MyMagic+ experience to guests. With our reservation at Pop Century for the first day of the test, we were selected to take part.

To learn more about the MyMagic+ program, be sure to check out our previous posts about MagicBands, the accessories available for them, and FastPass+. We will have full coverage and review of our experience here on The DIS Blog and The DIS Unplugged podcast. We’ll also have continuous updates as the program moves beyond testing and will be available to all guests.

Pre-Planning

First, we learned that to fully take advantage of the MyMagic+ system, some pre-trip planning is definitely encouraged. First of all, it’s very important to have your Disney online account up-to-date and accessible on My Disney Experience, either through their website www.mydisneyexperience.com or one of their apps on mobile devices. My Disney Experience is really the central hub for guests to keep track of all of their vacation plans – resort reservations, park admission, dining reservations, FastPass+ reservations, payment options, and even PhotoPass information.

Before our stay, we tried to make sure that our accounts were up-to-date by by linking our resort stay to our accounts, adding our park admission to our accounts, and ensuring that everyone on the reservation were listed as a Friend or Family on our accounts. This allowed us to make plans together, which is critical in utilizing the FastPass+ system. In order to use FastPass+, your My Disney Experience account must have both a resort reservation and valid park admission linked to it. Because a couple of us had done the work beforehand, it really helped the set-up process and allowed for us to get going more quickly. On the other hand, a couple guests on our reservation weren’t able to do this ahead of time so we also were able to see the process of getting it set up on the spot at check-in.

Check-In

The check-in process at Pop Century went smoothly, however since we did have a few changes to make to the reservation we ended up spending a while at the desk to get squared away. Pete, who was the original guest on the reservation, had a MagicBand waiting for him at the desk that had his name printed on it. Then there were two of us that were added to the reservation the day before check-in and then one of us that was added to the reservation on the spot. The Cast Member checking us in encoded MagicBands for the three of us at the desk and connected them to our My Disney Experience accounts. If all four of us were on the reservation in the beginning, we would have each had a MagicBand waiting for us at check-in with our names on them.

Like I said earlier, two of us were able to have the reservation and park admission connected to our My Disney Experience accounts before check-in. We had to spend a pretty long time at the resort’s MyMagic+ help desk getting the others’ accounts all synced up so we could participate in FastPass+. If the park admission was accepted on the account, it seemed like the reservation was not, and the other way around. However, the Cast Members were able to fix the issues and finally got both the tickets and room reservation on the accounts. After this we were all set! Everything was linked on our MagicBands and we could use it in place of our room keys to open the door to our room, as well as our admission, payment in the park.

MagicBands

While this was our first time actually using the MagicBands in the parks and at the resort, we’ve reported on them before and described them in detail in a previous post.

Important:
The biggest misconception with the MagicBands is that guests are required to wear and use them. It’s extremely important for people to understand that this is only an optional perk for guests to use while on vacation. You will not miss out on any of the perks if you choose to use your Key To The World card instead of the band. The MagicBands are just a very simple way to access your account with less hassle than pulling out your room key each time.

We were able to purchase some of the accessories for the bands at the gift shop at Pop Century and then actually pay for them using our MagicBand since we had it linked to our credit card on our room reservation. We went with a few of the MagicBandits and the MagicCovers. You can read more about the accessories available in our previous post.

After check-in, we headed straight to Epcot and used our MagicBands to enter the park at the turnstiles just like you would with a current RFID-enabled ticket or Annual Pass.

FastPass+

I think that the new FastPass+ system is arguably the biggest advantage of the MyMagic+ program. Like I mentioned, currently a guest must have a resort reservation and valid park admission linked to their My Disney Experience account to participate in the FastPass+. Once a guest has that information linked, the website or app allows you to schedule three FastPass+ selections for one park per day. This might change in the future, but at least for the testing phase and early stages of MyMagic+, this is how it will work.

Since we chose to go to Epcot, I scheduled FastPass+ reservations for Soarin’, Test Track, and then Illuminations. The app allowed me to choose those three attractions/shows, then list them in the priority I wanted. After continuing, My Disney Experience gives you four time options titled A,B,C, and D, which are typically morning, afternoon, evening, and night, although they can vary. I chose afternoon/evening and then was given the option to adjust times if I needed to. I decided to adjust the time of our Test Track reservation by moving it up an hour to make room for a dinner reservation.

When it came time to use our FastPass+ reservations, the process could not have been smoother. We proceeded to the designated FastPass/FastPass+ line for Soarin and held up each of our MagicBands to the scanners at the entrance. The Mickey icon on the scanner glowed a bright green just like the park turnstile and the Cast Member looked at a monitor close by and thanked us by our first names. I have a feeling that that small customized detail is just a taste of what’s to come as far as the MyMagic+ technology.

We then proceeded through the FastPass queue and when we reached the Cast Member that collects the paper FastPasses, we simply showed him our MagicBands and he let us continue. There are a second set of scanners that can be used for confirmation, but for some reason these were not being used at Soarin’. We did have to scan our bands a second time for our reservation at Test Track.

Our experience at Test Track was a little different in the fact that we were able to use our MagicBands for more than just redeeming our FastPass+ reservation. With the new car design interactivity, we were able to build our car and store it with our MagicBands rather than use the plain white cards typically given out. This made the experience just a little more simpler and was a pretty cool way to use the technology.

When it came time to use our FastPass+ reservation for Illuminations, we had to ask a Cast Member where exactly to go because the app did not specifically say. We found the area near the Port of Entry shop at the beginning of World Showcase. There were two Cast Members that had an iPod equipped with a scanner on the back of it to read the MagicBands. This was one of just a couple places that there was an issue reading our bands. The Cast Member asked if we had reservations for this location or the one over in Germany. The app did not specify so we just showed him our app and he added us to his iPod and let us through to the viewing area. He explained that in the future there will be two different viewing locations and guests can specify where they want to go when making the FastPass+ reservation.

Dining

During our day we had experience with both quick service and table service dining and paying with the MagicBands. The quick service location at Pop Century had no problem at all accepting the band – most quick service locations though have been equipped with the touch-to-pay scanners for several months. The meal was charged right to the room. This would work similarly if a guest had the Dining Plan. You could scan your MagicBand to redeem any of your existing plan credits.

While in Epcot we had a really interesting experience at Tutto Italia, one of the table service restaurants in the Italy Pavilion. When we asked to pay with our MagicBand, the server brought over the same type of iPod that the Cast Member at the Illuminations viewing location had. Unfortunately the scanner on the back of her device did not pick up the band so we were not able to use it. However, the iPod also had a credit card/room card slider on it so we were able to pay with our Key To The World Card and get the same result as paying with the band. I really liked this change for paying at table service restaurants and I hope it’s something they adopt property-wide, especially if they accept credit cards.

Overall, our experience testing out MyMagic+, MagicBands, and FastPass+ went amazingly well, especially when as this was the first day of guest testing. I can only imagine that as testing continues and the full program rolls out for everyone, MyMagic+ will continue to improve and run even smoother. As more information is released and more people experience the system, we will be sure to bring you the latest. Make sure to follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheDIS and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/the.dis! We will also be giving our full review and thoughts on The DIS Unplugged so make sure to check that out at www.disunplugged.com and subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/wdwinfo!

- See more at: http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/08/03/mymagic-review-magicbands-fastpass/#sthash.oMzw8SIK.dpuf

I just have this gut feeling that this is going to make the standby lines longer than what we are seeing now. I really hope to be proved wrong

There are two ways of doing this.

Current FP system has a merge point where a Fastpass guest would get a 1-10 minute wait. The FP+ system, so far, has had a time reservation for a spot in the hourly capacity. Think of it as reserving a table vs ADRs. If Disney chooses to keep what they've done with FP+ so far, it'll reduce capacity and increase waits, they have to have a spot for you and will not let in others until you lose your spot. If they transition to the typical FP system, it'll shorten the waits and probably cap FP usage by guests.

The gist of MyMagic+ is to have guests plan ahead of time so Disney can optimize cast member usage and reduce costs. Disney also thinks having guests plan their trip to guarantee certain experiences is worth as much as new attractions. Except what sounds good to a focus group or a stacked poll doesn't translate to reality. Guests don't want to play 3 months out. Guests want new attractions. That's the gist and problems of MM+.

If a review of Mymagic bands has to be that incredibly long and filled with "ifs" then something is wrong. I think getting a job with the NSA would be less complicated than this kind of Disney vacation. Creeps me out.

Vacations are for rest & relaxation. Who needs all that planning stress, timetables to attend , and lack of spontaneous movement ? Sounds more like work than work!

Vacations are for rest & relaxation. Who needs all that planning stress, timetables to attend , and lack of spontaneous movement ? Sounds more like work than work!

It was work even before this if you played the ADR game :lol: From a photographer stand point, I wouldn't mibd making a reservation for Illustrations if it means getting a prime spot and not have to camp out for a while.

It was work even before this if you played the ADR game :lol: From a photographer stand point, I wouldn't mibd making a reservation for Illustrations if it means getting a prime spot and not have to camp out for a while.
We did the ADR a few times and it was totally a pain in the ... When we're at WDW we very rarely eat at advance reservation places because of that. Generally we'll just do counter service at WDW. We do all of our sit down restaurants at Uni since its so much easier & convenient especially with on site hotel priority seating at nearly every restaurant. Therefore, we spent much less on food at WDW, which is a direct result of their ridiculous emphasis on ADR, even for restaurants with open tables. Who are these guys running WDW, these kinds of things & Next Gen are just bad business.

We did the ADR a few times and it was totally a pain in the ... When we're at WDW we very rarely eat at advance reservation places because of that. Generally we'll just do counter service at WDW. We do all of our sit down restaurants at Uni since its so much easier & convenient especially with on site hotel priority seating at nearly every restaurant. Therefore, we spent much less on food at WDW, which is a direct result of their ridiculous emphasis on ADR, even for restaurants with open tables. Who are these guys running WDW, these kinds of things & Next Gen are just bad business.

Same with us, we rarely do ADRs. Its hard for us to judge how the day will go with little kids so its really hard to plan things like that sometimes. The only time we do though is for Via Napoli and the occasion character breakfast which we average about 1 a year

So three FastPasses... but can you still get more with your regular ticket?

Same with us, we rarely do ADRs. Its hard for us to judge how the day will go with little kids so its really hard to plan things like that sometimes. The only time we do though is for Via Napoli and the occasion character breakfast which we average about 1 a year

It is funny, I eat at sit down places all the time. I have gotten walk up reservations at Garden Grill, Japan, Mexico, and others. I have also made in park same day reservations or same day in the morning reservations. Even once almost did Canada this way, but in the end decided against it. I have also made 8:30 PM reservations for Germany and walked up at 7 PM and asked if they could take me now. I have done this 3 times and twice they could take me. The 3rd time was in the middle of spring break, so I don't blame them for not being able to do it then. If you learn to play the system, it really is not as bad as most people say. They don't let empty tables sit. If they have cancellations or an open table they know they don't have a reservation for, they will take you. I was in line for the one on main street, the people in front of me got in w/o a reservation, but that was their last non-reservation table and therefore we could not get in. Heck with my son we needed handicap seating and it needed to be large enough for a double stroller and even with that restriction we still managed to get walk up seating to many places.

A secret for those hard to get places. Most of them require 24 or 48 hour cancellation notice. So go into the Disney online reservation 24 or 48 hours in advance and you would be AMAZED at the reservations you can get last minute for those locals who don't know when they will be going to the parks until closer to the day. For those places that don't require that far in advance cancellation, you can normally get morning of reservations, in park reservations, or even walk in.

There are two ways of doing this.

Current FP system has a merge point where a Fastpass guest would get a 1-10 minute wait. The FP+ system, so far, has had a time reservation for a spot in the hourly capacity. Think of it as reserving a table vs ADRs. If Disney chooses to keep what they've done with FP+ so far, it'll reduce capacity and increase waits, they have to have a spot for you and will not let in others until you lose your spot. If they transition to the typical FP system, it'll shorten the waits and probably cap FP usage by guests.

I am really confused by your statement that it will reduce capacity? Capacity in general? Capacity in FP line? Because the merge points have not changed between FP and FP+. FP+ people get into the same line as FP people get into and instead of handing over a ticket, they scan their bracelet. The only difference is for rides where there was no current FP line, they now have a FP line and only FP+ and GA cards get into those lines. So the capacity of the ride has not changed. I believe they have removed some FP tickets with the testing of FP+ going on, so I don't think they are taking more guests from the FP lines. Being at the parks a lot I have not seen this. Waits in the FP line only changed when they stopped allowing people to use FPs outside of their hour timeslot. Waits in the FP line reduced, but I didn't see any impact to the regular guest line waits.

- - - Updated - - -

So three FastPasses... but can you still get more with your regular ticket?

No. Because if you are in the test group you cannot get normal FP. Because when this goes live for good for everyone, FP will be eliminated all together and you will only have FP+. This of course is probably a year away at the rate Disney is going and the issues they have run into.

No. Because if you are in the test group you cannot get normal FP. Because when this goes live for good for everyone, FP will be eliminated all together and you will only have FP+. This of course is probably a year away at the rate Disney is going and the issues they have run into.

Right now the testers are being allowed to double dip the FP. They are prescheduling their FP+ and then also using their room keys to get FP-. Gee, who wouldn't give great feedback on a system like that?