Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, thanks to TDO and those cute little wristbands out there, looks like I lose out on Star Wars, Monstropolis, and lots of other pluses out here in Anaheim. Figures, DLR gets it's act together turns out some record profits... and gets hit with layoffs and budget cuts because TDO spends billions on not getting GPS right.

At airport in Atlanta boarding for flight back home here in Orlando and this girl in front of us maybe 5-7 year old kept asking "Mommy when am i going to get my magic band" in my mind i was laughing

At airport in Atlanta boarding for flight back home here in Orlando and this girl in front of us maybe 5-7 year old kept asking "Mommy when am i going to get my magic band" in my mind i was laughing

I guess we had it all wrong this whole time. Kids don't care it doesn't work, they just want one. Once it becomes a status symbol between schoolmates there is no stopping it :rofl:

This suck if you aren't staying onsite. So now instead of the running of the bulls to the rides it will be a running of the bulls to these kiosks. Also sucks as an AP holder they wont allow me to make advanced ressies, I would be happy if they cut the time to like a week out or something to avoid having to use those kiosks. And no point in downloading the app

From http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

Say goodbye to paper Fastpass tickets at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Robert Niles
By Robert Niles
Published: January 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Walt Disney World cast members are reporting that the Magic Kingdom next week will begin eliminating its paper Fastpass tickets. Visitors not staying at one of the Walt Disney World resort hotels will need to make their same-day ride reservations at one of the Fastpass+ kiosks in the park.
Instead of getting a paper ticket with a return time, as they would from one of the old Fastpass machines, visitors now will be assigned a return time that will be directly associated with their park admission ticket. To get into the ride or show at their appointed time, visitors will tap their park admission tickets at the Fastpass+ return stanchion, where resort guests tap their MagicBands.

Tap to enter at the Magic Kingdom
Tapping an admission ticket to a new Magic Kingdom "MyMagic+" entrance stanchion.
Cast members are reporting that visitors will be able to use the Fastpass+ kiosks to select and modify their reservations times, which is a big change from the existing Fastpass system, which spit out a take-it-or-leave it return time and then blocked you from getting any other Fastpass reservation for up to two hours. Now, you'll be able to select your three return times at the beginning of the day. You'll also no longer need to worry about losing those paper Fastpass tickets.

Visitors not staying on-site at Disney will not be able to make reservations in advance, and will not be allowed to make or modify reservations using the My Disney Experience mobile app. It's the kiosks on the day of your visit or nothing for attraction reservations. Of course, with "day" visitors getting the ability to make multiple reservations first thing in the morning, it's likely that attraction reservations will "sell out" earlier in the day than they did under the old Fastpass system.

Disney's been testing this new way of handing attraction reservations in Animal Kingdom for several weeks. With the Magic Kingdom coming online next week, we recommend making a visit to a Fastpass+ kiosk your first stop in those parks in the morning. Pick the three available attractions you most want to do, then go enjoy the rest of the park, knowing that you're guaranteed in at those rides or shows with a shorter wait. (Disney is expected to eliminate the paper Fastpass tickets at Epcot and Hollywood Studios within the next couple of months.)

Visitors will now have more options for reservations than under the old Fastpass system, which was limited only to the most popular rides. To use the new system most effectively, you should try to select rides that have the longest mid-day waits, either due to high popularity or low capacity (or both). There's no sense in using a Fastpass+ reservation on a ride or show that's a walk-on or under 20-minute wait at mid-day. Those are the attractions you should be visiting in the middle of the day when you aren't using your Fastpass+ reservations.

The most useful Fastpass+ reservations might be places in the no-wait, reserved seating areas for parades and fireworks shows, but it's not clear if any of those will be available to visitors who aren't staying at a Disney hotel. Those reservations have been available only on an intermittent basis to resort guests up until now, and get snapped up quickly when they do. It's hard to believe that many would be available to "day" guests, but, who knows?

Ride reservations are ultimately a big math problem, as Disney weighs the percentages of each ride's hourly capacity to devote to advance reservations, same-day reservations, and walk-up visitors. Disney's tweaked those percentages in the past and it's likely that the company will continue to do so as it continues its transition to Fastpass+ and the MyMagic+ system.

Have you used Fastpass+, either as a resort guest, or a day visitor in the Animal Kingdom? Please tell us about your experience, in the comments.

Imagine re-designing an attraction with the "NextGen Initiative" in mind. Probably one of my favorite times working in this industry, considering the feelings behind FP+ haha. It certainly seems to be more intrusive than anything at this point, especially considering how standby queue times have been affected by it.

Time to break out the tin foil hats again :lol:

7269d1358544018-tin-foil-hat.jpg

What really makes me irritated now is if this same day crap is true. I mean, you know how many idiots I get stuck behind at an ATM or checking out and using a debit card and using the little key pad, you would think they are launching a nuclear missile or something and make a trip to the ATM an all day adventure. ANd dont even get me started at some of the ones ive been behind at a redbox :mad: Now imagine being stuck behind those same people trying to figure out this mess at those kiosks

At all of the kiosks I have seen, they have CM's stationed next to them to help out with 4-6 kiosks in a cluster. Not sure how this helps them control costs, but hopefully not as annoying as it could be.

Has anyone seen these kiosks they mentioned in the article? Im wondering where they are located and how many they have.
They are spread throughout the parks in with the legacy FP Kiosks. DAK has about 6 locations, MK has a lot spread throughout, DHS had one a TOT, ST2.0 among other places and Epcot has rows of them lined up in the breezeways going to FW West or East (probably the most convenient setup), Soarin, TT, MS, etc.

From what i'm aware of, FP+ Kiosks will be put in all areas where there is a Legacy FP Kiosk currently and hasn't already been changed over to a FP+ Kiosk.

Here's some examples of the kiosks...

Storybook Circus:
56a14f6b-5a56-45ad-a4a9-99a2581ff97e_zpscda954d8.jpg

Guest Relations (management kiosk):
img_4684.jpg

Old Stitch FP Location:
b061cd51-6837-4338-aa7d-9e2d1ed9c557_zpsf19fc5cb.jpg

Voyage of the Little Mermaid:
up15_8.updategallery.JPG

We live in Tampa and every year we get annual passes to a theme park. We alternate year to year between Universal and Disney. Last year we did Universal and this year we're at Disney until the end of May. I am kicking myself for switching back to Disney. They do almost nothing for AP holders. I found that Universal treated their AP holders much better. Better discounts better experiences, etc. When my Disney passes expire not only will I be going back to Universal but I'm investing in the premium passes!

I'm sure this is no surprise but Hollywood Studios and Epcot will no longer have paper fastpasses. Hollywood Studios will lose them on Jan. 21 and Epcot will lose them on Jan. 23.

How did the transition go at Magic Kingdom? Are they completely paperless now?

The are, it's still a cluster F. Still long lines of people trying to make ride reservations at the Fast Pass+ and being really confused by the whole thing.

Oh my Lord. The comments.. I know we're crazy opinionated here on the forums but I thought Facebook might be a little more... I don't know.. passive about the whole thing?