Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah I have been away from Orlando for almost two months and I see them way more now that I am back than I saw them before I left. Saw someone wearing them on a rope necklace instead of their wrist. Seen them on adults and kids, so people are using them.

But there are still MAJOR issues with the system. One person was stuck at the gate for 45 minutes because their band wouldn't work, they got switched to a card and it took over an hour for someone to check into a hotel. BUT talking to the GP they don't seem to mind the glitches. Now I haven't talked to the GP that had delays since those were employee tests, but other glitches that the GP have had don't seem to be bothering anyone. Even people that are new to Disney Plan.

Again, I think when this is fully implemented and the glitches worked out (my estimate is 8 months for this) and they finally are able to remove the FP machines, I think this will be a huge hit for the GP. That is the impression I get from most people who go to Disney on a regular basis.

But there real question is, in the long run will it increase guest spending enough to ever recoup their over $2B investment?

I've seen this $2B number thrown around quite a bit on here, yet has there been any kind of verification via regulatory filings or independent reporting that this Is the true investment for NextGen? I know "insiders" have touted this price tag, but honestly since NectGen has so many detractors, I just don't put too much stock in that kind of inflation, even with the inevitable ballooning budget IT projects like these generate.

Looking back at the Financial Statements since 2010, Capital allocation for parks and hotels has increased pretty significantly year-over-year. However, based on the other big-ticket construction projects going on during NextGen's development, I don't really see the $2B for NextGen. Low-to-mid 1's, sure. $2's a stretch in my book.

That being said, I am still in a wait-and-see approach to judging the long-term success of NextGen. I don't see it necessarily generating enough marginal revenue to offset the project cost, but I also don't think that's even the main goal here: maximizing profitability is. As such, there's the labor cost portion of this project that's not getting much play but will help Disney go more efficiently allocate labor.

The initial project costs was $1.8B. And that was before they hit all the problems with the system (hardware and software problems). 2 of the knowledgable insiders have claimed it to be over $2.5B, which when considering the issues and extended testing doesn't seem to be unrealistic.

That said, I know that major portions of what the system was intended to do have been dropped, so I don't believe that it will end up having the ROI that was promised when it was initially pitched to Iger.

On top of that, I don't personally believe that in the long run, it will be the "industry game changer" that Iger has been touting investors. Which is the ability to micromanage people's vacations to the Nth degree. There has already been a backlash by regulars that go to have a fun somewhat relaxing vacation. And the system itself is too complicated for first timers to understand considering they don't even understand the need for ADRs. They don't know which attractions really need FPs and choosing blindly is going to give them FP+s for rides they most likely would have skipped.

The only people that I see this really appealing to are going to be "Disney Lifestylers" and that really is a small percentage of guests.

Last edited:
I prefer Universal but having used the magic bands and FP+ earlier this week I now understand the appeal. So long as we had our bands on us, we literally needed nothing else- room key, annual pass, charging to the credit card on file and FP+ all on the fully waterproof band.

We didn't bother with regular FP at all this trip between the 3 reserved rides daily and extra magic hours (MK was open until 1am on Monday) which allowed us to avoid any wait longer than 10 minutes all trip. We probably charged at least 50% of our purchases at Food and Wine with the band. It's almost too easy. Hence my belief that the system will increase guest spending, but not significantly so as hoped. Guests still need a reason to come back and I can't be the only one growing awfully tired of the same lame rides at WDW.

So in summary, MM+ will be a win long term for Disney but probably not until they build those damn E-tickets already!

^Soooo...... What's the point of the system then?

To prove that the CEO is doing something expensive and important. It is hogwash, bad judgement, tomfoolery, smoke and mirrors. This guy thinks Starbucks is so important to the Disney parks that he has a tree moved for them. I almost wish Eisner were back. (idon'tmeanthatidon'tmeanthatidon'tmeanthat)

Disney has become so so big that they cannot afford to hire a visionary. Only a college grad need apply, which is pathetic. They need to hire a college dropout.

Just a heads up, FP at major attractions like Soarin', Test Track, and Toy Story are starting to run out of paper FP as well as FP+ reservations by 10am (in some cases just minutes after opening) or earlier with MagicBands being available at most of the Disney resorts.

Just talked to a friend, and they said it was a combination of a (surprise, surprise) problem with the FP+ system plus heavier than expected crowds, but that they're still pushing a high number of FP slots to FP+ only (multiple people are saying 85% FP+, 15% FP). Translation: I wouldn't be surprised if the new norm is for major attraction paper FPs to be gone by 11am now, at the latest, even on slow days. It also seems that FP+ availability changes based upon how you're accessing the system. The app is showing one result, the website another, and sometimes the in-park kiosks have been giving a 3rd result for FP+ availability. Some people are finding FP+ availability for even TSMM across the entire day, some are seeing only a few time slots, again depending on how they're accessing the system. So your best bet is to link up your RFID ticket and pray. Boy, what a wonderful system! :bang:

I should also add that this is only a problem at the two parks with known attraction deficiency issues, EPCOT and DHS. MK is having no issue at all (surprisingly enough, though again, more attractions helps spread the load), and DAK...well, yeah, there's not much there for FP to begin with. :lol:

Last edited:
Just talked to a friend, and they said it was a combination of a (surprise, surprise) problem with the FP+ system plus heavier than expected crowds, but that they're still pushing a high number of FP slots to FP+ only (multiple people are saying 85% FP+, 15% FP). Translation: I wouldn't be surprised if the new norm is for major attraction paper FPs to be gone by 11am now, at the latest, even on slow days. It also seems that FP+ availability changes based upon how you're accessing the system. The app is showing one result, the website another, and sometimes the in-park kiosks have been giving a 3rd result for FP+ availability. Some people are finding FP+ availability for even TSMM across the entire day, some are seeing only a few time slots, again depending on how they're accessing the system. So your best bet is to link up your RFID ticket and pray. Boy, what a wonderful system! :bang:

What a cluster f. How have the stand by lines been while this is going on?

There goes any fun and spontaneity of going to Disney World.

Absolutely out the window and it sucks

- - - Updated - - -

The major attractions have been the same with regards to standby lines. Rides like Pirates and Mansion, on the other hand, now regularly see minimum waits of 25+.

I dont think I have waited more then 10 min the last half dozen times I have ridden Pirates but that was also before FP+ and also during quieter times of the year. Now that wont be happening with this new system. They add FP+ to 3 Caballeros?

This it's still testing and very much in the teething stage, it's rough on the people who are there now but I think we should at l least give it a chance. They will tweak numbers and learn from mistakes and hopefully in time it will be a good system.

I recently used it and found it, on the whole, to be a very useful tool. Sure I found problems but I spoke to magic band cast and was happy with the replies I got, seems that in time a lot more passes will be available per guest and the booking window will be far less than the current 60 day window, AP holders will also be catered for.

Guest services will no doubt be the longest Que on park over the next few weeks, yes there will be disgruntled guests but those guests will be providing valuable data which will help improve the system.

I'm not trying to bang a drum for Disney just saying we should give them a chance to smooth out this new tech. As we know they have spent a fair few $$$s on it so I'm confident they will be going all in on this and who knows in time we may all be singing it's praises'

*Ducks for cover*

Last edited:
This it's still testing and very much in the teething stage, it's rough on the people who are there now but I think we should at l least give it a chance. They will tweak numbers and learn from mistakes and hopefully in time it will be a good system.

I recently used it and found it, on the whole, to be a very useful tool. Sure I found problems but I spoke to magic band cast and was happy with the replies I got, seems that in time a lot more passes will be available per guest and the booking window will be far less than the current 60 day window, AP holders will also be catered for.

Guest services will no doubt be the longest Que on park over the next few weeks, yes there will be disgruntled guests but those guests will be providing valuable data which will help improve the system.

I'm not trying to bang a drum for Disney just saying we should give them a chance to smooth out this new tech. As we know they have spent a fair few $$$s on it so I'm confident they will be going all in on this and who knows in time we may all be singing it's praises'

*Ducks for cover*

:ban:

Jk buddy :lol:

Last edited:
There goes any fun and spontaneity of going to Disney World.

This. And also, what goes for us who have neither APs nor vacation packages? For example, my mom was talking to me about how she wanted to go to EPCOT soon before F&W ends, and this would be one of very few, if any, Disney visits in a year for us. This mess just discourages me tremendously, as it will put us at a big disadvantage for when we want to go on the rides...

I just went to the MDE website to see how the fastpass+ looked for today, and there were Toy Story fastpasses available for different times for the rest of the day (and it's now almost 3pm), so I dunno maybe it's the weekends that are selling out? I know last month when I actually stayed at Pop Century and used the Magic Bands and fastpass+ I didn't have any problem getting any time pretty much. Maybe it's a different story this month though. And even if you do reserve one of the times they give you, you can still go back in to select a different time, and basically all available times for the day are laid out for you to pick at that point.

I'm going to the Mouse in 3 weeks and staying onsite. I was asked if I wanted to participate in testing the Magic Bands and I accepted. So far, I'm kind of liking them. I've got my hotel reservation linked to it, my ticket, my dining reservations, and my Fast Pass +.

I'm pretty impressed with how fast I received the Magic Bands. I customized them and then a day later they were on my door step waiting for me.

The only thing that could use some work is the whole interface of the My Disney Experience website. It's pretty confusing when it comes to linking people in your party together. My girlfriend and I have our reservation at Coronado Springs and we have 6 other people coming with us who are staying in an additional 3 rooms there as well. Getting everyone on the system and getting everything linked up has been rather tedious to say the least.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not spending countless amounts of time in line at Guest Services. :pray: