Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, they haven't even told pass holders how to get fast passes yet, so how in the world are they going to remove machines before doing that? Plus last I heard it was still in testing, but then again it seems everyone who has planned a vacation has been put into the program, so maybe testing is done. But they never tested regular ticket holders or annual pass holders.

Not everybody. I'm heading down end of October. Staying at Bay Lake Tower. Linked my tickets. Still have no options for FP+ or those Magic Bands.

They're really doing a horrible job of letting guests know what's going on with the tests, and that its no longer a "limited" test. A lot of guests aren't finding out until a week or two before their trip that they've been "invited" (in reality, everyone checking in at resorts it has been "rolled out" to is a test subject now, whether or not they know before they check in), or they figure it out before they get the letter/email by playing around on the websites or app, and so miss opportunities to try and take full advantage of the new system(s). Also, as Thor has said above, another issue is not being able to use the system(s) because they haven't been "officially enrolled" in the test in the system. They're rushing it and in the process making what was already a buggy nightmare worse.

When I went to pick up my tickets for the Night of Joy event this past weekend the guest relations computer said that my tickets were linked to my AP account. I had only purchased a 1 night ticket but was trying to upgrade to a 2 night ticket. Since even the guest relations CMs had no clue why my tickets were already linked to an existing ticket, they refunded the whole purchase so I could upgrade. It took nearly 45 minutes and 3 different CMs just to process a simple upgrade because of the NextGen systems.

Im in on the test as I think AKL is part of it and I have a reservation there. I had no corrospondence to let me know this, I was just on the site checking some reservation details and stumbled across the fact that I could book a magic band and apply FP+ reservations to my booking.

Im in on the test as I think AKL is part of it and I have a reservation there. I had no corrospondence to let me know this, I was just on the site checking some reservation details and stumbled across the fact that I could book a magic band and apply FP+ reservations to my booking.

Perfect example on how Disney isnt keeping guests informed. Let us know what times you end up getting, curious to see if anything decent is left at this point

So not only have they not informed APHs, but regular guests have no clue what is going on. Can't see machines pulled in a month and they have to either pull them before Thanksgiving or wait until next year. Pulling them in the middle of busy holiday season would be a huge mistake. Wouldn't give team members a slow period to learn to deal with issues.

So not only have they not informed APHs, but regular guests have no clue what is going on. Can't see machines pulled in a month and they have to either pull them before Thanksgiving or wait until next year. Pulling them in the middle of busy holiday season would be a huge mistake. Wouldn't give team members a slow period to learn to deal with issues.

I have AP and DVC and never heard a thing from them :doh:

Perfect example on how Disney isnt keeping guests informed. Let us know what times you end up getting, curious to see if anything decent is left at this point

I only booked a few but got what I wanted, changed times on some of them and more or less anytime of day was available. All my FP+ bookings are within a 3hr window after making the amendments.

Not an APH, but I am DVC. I called to see what was going on, and was told that Bay Lake Tower will be added into the "test" the end of this month. That I should wait for the email and not book anything before. This is being done so half assed, it's sad.

Not an APH, but I am DVC. I called to see what was going on, and was told that Bay Lake Tower will be added into the "test" the end of this month. That I should wait for the email and not book anything before. This is being done so half assed, it's sad.

At issue here is that it's a test. Your complaining as though it is the final product. At this point regular fast pass is still available to you, so you really wouldn't be harmed at all if you chose not to participate in the test.

The resort you are staying in is not yet part of the test.... so it's not really a shock that you haven't been informed (Even if they plan to roll it out to that resort by the end of this month, it's a test and things can change. So it doesn't mean they will).

At issue here is that it's a test. Your complaining as though it is the final product. At this point regular fast pass is still available to you, so you really wouldn't be harmed at all if you chose not to participate in the test.

The resort you are staying in is not yet part of the test.... so it's not really a shock that you haven't been informed (Even if they plan to roll it out to that resort by the end of this month, it's a test and things can change. So it doesn't mean they will).

I think his point is that there is no way they can pull machines if they are still adding resorts to the testing process. I agree, testing can change at any point, but if they pull FP machines, they are done with testing and it should all be live for several at least a month to make sure communication has been done properly to all guests.

I think his point is that there is no way they can pull machines if they are still adding resorts to the testing process. I agree, testing can change at any point, but if they pull FP machines, they are done with testing and it should all be live for several at least a month to make sure communication has been done properly to all guests.

I was reading it a different way. He complains that he e-mailed and was told to wait for his e-mail that he is part of the test, and that it's half assed. In turn I contend that since his hotel is not yet part of the test, then obviously they wouldn't have sent him the e-mail, as until it is officially added the idea to add it could be killed at any time.

So I stayed at Art of Animation resort this past weekend and got to try out the MagicBands. I have to say... I was really apprehensive about it at first but I absolutely loved it. Being able to select FastPasses for 3 attractions at a park from your hotel room on your phone is a GODSEND. The only drawback is I might gain weight from not having to walk all the way to the attraction to get a FastPass and then eat **** for two hours until it's time to ride and walk over to the other attraction for a FastPass, etc. This is especially useful at parks like DHS and Epcot that only have about 3 real signature rides.

I love love loved it. I don't know what Disney will really get out of it for the money they spent but since we didn't spend anything extra on it, it was absolutely worth it. Also, just to be clear, we made the reservations same day for that park so not as much "advanced planning" as we worried.

So I stayed at Art of Animation resort this past weekend and got to try out the MagicBands. I have to say... I was really apprehensive about it at first but I absolutely loved it. Being able to select FastPasses for 3 attractions at a park from your hotel room on your phone is a GODSEND. The only drawback is I might gain weight from not having to walk all the way to the attraction to get a FastPass and then eat **** for two hours until it's time to ride and walk over to the other attraction for a FastPass, etc. This is especially useful at parks like DHS and Epcot that only have about 3 real signature rides.

I love love loved it. I don't know what Disney will really get out of it for the money they spent but since we didn't spend anything extra on it, it was absolutely worth it. Also, just to be clear, we made the reservations same day for that park so not as much "advanced planning" as we worried.

I think the advanced planning is not a problem right now because it hasn't been rolled out everywhere yet. Once it does, we'll see what happens.

Also, even though I got to use it, I still have a ton of questions about it. Is this Magic Band basically useless now or do I still use it next time I go? I have a seasonal AP. Also, does it work even if I don't stay on-site?

BTW, testing is still going on with employees. So there are still bugs they are working out internally before having guests deal with it. So I don't see FP going away any time soon if testing on FP+ is still going on.

Am I the only person who has always thought, and still does think, that this is really really cool?

I think there are parts of it that are cool, and the marketing side of me loves the possibilities it holds for that side of the business, even though the other side of me is very reluctant about it. However, as an overall package and system implementation...it leaves a lot to be desired, is a poster child for IT over-spending (although largely the fault of every dept. piling line items into the thing), and is the antithesis for how I want to spend my free time relaxing.

A few things I have learnt from using the band's and asking questions whilst here.

All resorts to be using the band's by middle of Oct.

You will only be able to book FP+ at 10 days out.

You will get more than 3 FP+ options maybe as high as 9.

A percentage of FP+ will be held back for booking on the day, this is to accommodate AP holders. The percentage is being worked out during testing.

I found the system to work quite well, I managed to book 3 FP+ whilst in MK SM, BTMRR and PofC all within a 2 hour window. I also booked a few from home which worked well and I was easily able to change my FP+ as my plans changed.

I was also able to double up with regular fast passes although these will soon be history.

On occasion the app runs frustratingly slow, must be the sheer amount off people accessing it.

All in all my experience has been mainly positive, granted it's not peek season but it is still in its infancy but I can genuinely see potential. Will be interesting to see how it has evolved on my next trip.

I only used the band a few times instead I opted to use the back up card. I kept this in my phone case, between the case and phone, I could tap my way into parks, enter rides at my booking times and pay for goods and food by tapping my phone on the entry points. Cast were amazed as had never seen it, I had great fun Telling them it was part of the new app lol,

Last edited:
^^^^ See this is why I wanted to wait for it to be implemented before freaking out. Based on a lot of what you found out, my wishes (holding a % back for day of) may be true. We will see as this goes from testing to actually going live. Which it looks like while they are moving forward with going live, they still don't have the system flushed out and they are still doing testing.