Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just saw it last night. It's very much like a shock rock concert and is really elevated by Raimi's direction and Elfman's score. The two lead performances from Cumberbatch and Olsen were phenomenal, the entire movie centers around them and the choices they make. You definitely need to know what happens in WandaVision to get a firm grip on Wanda's motivations in the movie, as there's only some minimal exposition explaining why she's acting the way she is. I was scared this movie would rely too heavily on the multiverse as a gimmick but it was surprisingly grounded in the characters and their relationships. Also, kinda weird but this is like the perfect Mother's Day movie.

So Wanda was absolutely savage. Her relentless pursuit of America and Strange is the driving force behind the movie and boy is she scary. Emerging from the mirror dimension like a J-horror sprit, possessing her variant's body, disposing of the Illuminati, chasing Strange through the Illuminati base. Elizabeth Olsen deserves all her flowers for this movie, because while she's doing all that she's still very much a character I felt for. The first scene of her dream walking is so hypnotic and music video adjacent, especially with the score. I love that the climax of the movie isn't driven by a big fight, but by showing Wanda what a monster she's become to the one thing she's trying to get back to. She also gets some of the best lines in the movie:

"I blew a hole through the head of the man I love and it meant nothing."

"You created your children with magic, they're not real."
"That's how all mothers create their children."

"Run."

"Is their mother still alive? Then they'll have someone to raise them."

Cumberbatch really got the most mileage out of the multiverse concept, playing several versions of himself. His battle with Supreme Strange was so whackadoo and just so off the wall. Using music as magic felt like something straight out of the comics. Undead Strange using the souls of the damned as a cloak was also just so gnarly and feels like something you'd see on a heavy metal album art. I like that his journey is very introspective, all about learning to not put himself first like so many of his alternate universe counterparts were apt to do. His relationship with America was very sweet and I like that this movie doesn't rely on the "sassy/precocious young hero" thing superhero media is so apt to do. There was just an earnest affection between them that I'm really fond of.

The Illuminati were very fun, didn't overstay their welcome, and gave us the most exciting action scene in the movie. Didn't expect their deaths to be so gruesome, especially for Black Bolt and Reed. Oh yeah, Krasinski as Reed, I don't feel strongly either way but my theater had a HUGE reaction to him showing up. Patrick Stewart really nailed Professor X in the little screen time he was given. I love that he chooses to help Strange because of his unshakable faith in the goodness of humanity. I also loved his mind meld with Wanda, very stage theater-esque and bohemian. Professor X got to watch WandaVision before he died so I can take a little solace in that.

I also see a lot of complaints online about the Book of Vishanti being a "useless plot point." I disagree, it's another magical macguffin in a universe full of them. The point of the the book is that Strange doesn't need to keep using his unlimited powers, he has to cede to them. But even he can't help himself and ends up using the Darkhold to get to Wanda.

Finally, that post credit scene is so exciting. Theron looks incredible, very glam rock AND comics accurate and is a peer to Cumberbatch so I'm excited to see what they'll end up doing together.

Reactions: LieutLaww
Just saw it last night. It's very much like a shock rock concert and is really elevated by Raimi's direction and Elfman's score. The two lead performances from Cumberbatch and Olsen were phenomenal, the entire movie centers around them and the choices they make. You definitely need to know what happens in WandaVision to get a firm grip on Wanda's motivations in the movie, as there's only some minimal exposition explaining why she's acting the way she is. I was scared this movie would rely too heavily on the multiverse as a gimmick but it was surprisingly grounded in the characters and their relationships. Also, kinda weird but this is like the perfect Mother's Day movie.

So Wanda was absolutely savage. Her relentless pursuit of America and Strange is the driving force behind the movie and boy is she scary. Emerging from the mirror dimension like a J-horror sprit, possessing her variant's body, disposing of the Illuminati, chasing Strange through the Illuminati base. Elizabeth Olsen deserves all her flowers for this movie, because while she's doing all that she's still very much a character I felt for. The first scene of her dream walking is so hypnotic and music video adjacent, especially with the score. I love that the climax of the movie isn't driven by a big fight, but by showing Wanda what a monster she's become to the one thing she's trying to get back to. She also gets some of the best lines in the movie:

"I blew a hole through the head of the man I love and it meant nothing."

"You created your children with magic, they're not real."
"That's how all mothers create their children."

"Run."

"Is their mother still alive? Then they'll have someone to raise them."

Cumberbatch really got the most mileage out of the multiverse concept, playing several versions of himself. His battle with Supreme Strange was so whackadoo and just so off the wall. Using music as magic felt like something straight out of the comics. Undead Strange using the souls of the damned as a cloak was also just so gnarly and feels like something you'd see on a heavy metal album art. I like that his journey is very introspective, all about learning to not put himself first like so many of his alternate universe counterparts were apt to do. His relationship with America was very sweet and I like that this movie doesn't rely on the "sassy/precocious young hero" thing superhero media is so apt to do. There was just an earnest affection between them that I'm really fond of.

The Illuminati were very fun, didn't overstay their welcome, and gave us the most exciting action scene in the movie. Didn't expect their deaths to be so gruesome, especially for Black Bolt and Reed. Oh yeah, Krasinski as Reed, I don't feel strongly either way but my theater had a HUGE reaction to him showing up. Patrick Stewart really nailed Professor X in the little screen time he was given. I love that he chooses to help Strange because of his unshakable faith in the goodness of humanity. I also loved his mind meld with Wanda, very stage theater-esque and bohemian. Professor X got to watch WandaVision before he died so I can take a little solace in that.

I also see a lot of complaints online about the Book of Vishanti being a "useless plot point." I disagree, it's another magical macguffin in a universe full of them. The point of the the book is that Strange doesn't need to keep using his unlimited powers, he has to cede to them. But even he can't help himself and ends up using the Darkhold to get to Wanda.

Finally, that post credit scene is so exciting. Theron looks incredible, very glam rock AND comics accurate and is a peer to Cumberbatch so I'm excited to see what they'll end up doing together.
See, I agree to a point about the multiverse not being used as a crutch. I’m just worried that at some point this is gonna slip away from their grasp and get really messy if they aren’t careful.

Long term, I think the multiverse is going to have big ripple effects, and all of this will come back and be really cool in Secret Wars or something, but in this movie, it kinda felt like there was little to no major repercussions except for Strange being corrupted now bc of the Darkhold and they were able to escape all that mess and wrap up the movie fairly quickly with no major character deaths and Wanda is just sort of good again? It felt like at minimum Wong should’ve died at multiple times throughout.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostsarejerks
See, I agree to a point about the multiverse not being used as a crutch.

Long term, I think the multiverse is going to have big ripple effects, and all of this will come to bite them, but in this movie, it kinda felt like there was little to no major repercussions except for Strange being corrupted now bc of the Darkhold and they were able to escape all that mess and wrap up the movie fairly quickly with no major character deaths and Wanda is just sort of good again? It felt like at minimum Wong should’ve died at multiple times throughout.

I mean, yeah it's kind of a byproduct of Marvel as a franchise. Can't shake up the status quo too much because they have more movies to make. I like Benedict Wong too much I'd actually be upset if they killed him.

Reactions: Nick
I mean, yeah it's kind of a byproduct of Marvel as a franchise. Can't shake up the status quo too much because they have more movies to make. I like Benedict Wong too much I'd actually be upset if they killed him.
Changing the subject but just some questions that I guess i'm more or less asking opinion on: Do you think you would have understood this movie if you hadn't seen WV? Would you like to see Krasinski take over directorial duties for the Fantastic Four film if he is indeed our Reed Richards? And where would you rank this among MCU films? For me it's probably on the back half of my top 10, but given that there is 28 movies now, that's not all that bad, especially with the movies it has to compete with above it.

Changing the subject but just some questions that I guess i'm more or less asking opinion on: Do you think you would have understood this movie if you hadn't seen WV? Would you like to see Krasinski take over directorial duties for the Fantastic Four film if he is indeed our Reed Richards? And where would you rank this among MCU films? For me it's probably on the back half of my top 10, but given that there is 28 movies now, that's not all that bad, especially with the movies it has to compete with above it.
I think WandaVision is essential for understanding Wanda's character arc, but if you only watched this movie then I think it does a good job explaining how corrupting the Darkhold is and why she's so villainous. I don't know, I guess his directorial style is still developing so I wouldn't be opposed but I think I'd prefer someone with more experience take on the job. It's definitely in my top 10, better than the first for sure.

Reactions: Nick
Just got back from watching it, enjoyed it didn't expect it to be so dark.
It's a very Sam Raimi movie. If you're a Raimi fan in particular, I think you'll love absolutely love this movie. There's some nods to his filmography that are great, too.

I will say, my favorite multiverse movie of the year is still Everything Everywhere All At Once, so take that for what you guys will.

I like how dark it was, I liked how they didn't tell jokes at serious parts, I like the horror and level of violence, I think because of the title I thought we would see more universes but that being saidI Like the character growth Strange goes through in this

I don't get why some were so upset about not enough cameo's.....I feel like Reed and professor X were enough and we got 3 more characters....so dont get what people needed.

I think AC was good, she didn't get to do much but think she was good and think a show about her...or her teaming up with Miss Marvel would be cool. Glad Wong got so much screen time and Surprised Scarlet Witch was the villain, just didn't think they would go that dark with her but glad they did

Solid like 8.5ish movie and honestly since Black Widow think the MCU movies have been great or better...so hoping Thor and BP2 are at the same level or better.

Reactions: n i c k

My guess is it was just a nod to fans. NWH established that different versions of a character can be played by different actors.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nick
Not bad overall, but damn this movie had so much Raimi style cinematography it was like watching Evil Dead in the Marvel universe. (Okay Marvel now that multiverse is a possibility give me Army Of Darkness x Marvel Zombies movie now!)

Wanda was such a fantastic villain in this! Love how horrifying they made her with some of the shots they used for her scenes.

It was nice seeing Krasinski as Reed Richards (Hoping Emily Blunt is Susan Storm in the F4 movie) but I’m REALLY bitter on how he and along with Black Bolt died so easily without a fight (And holy crap, Black Bolt death is by FAR the most BRUTAL MCU death, Im amazed that Disney let Raimi get away with it).

It was great seeing Professor X again (This is like the 3rd time he’s died already, c’mon Marvel cut him some slack), although I wonder if it’s possible McAvoy will return as Charles in the MCU with Fassbender as Magneto.

Overall it’s not bad. I loved the serious and horror tone it had and would love to see more Marvel movies like this. Although I won’t lie, I do prefer NWH over this as the cameos felt important to Holland’s Spider-Man. That doesn’t mean I don’t want Raimi to come back for more Marvel movies!
I’d like to see Raimi direct more supernatural Marvel films if possible!

Not bad overall, but damn this movie had so much Raimi style cinematography it was like watching Evil Dead in the Marvel universe. (Okay Marvel now that multiverse is a possibility give me Army Of Darkness x Marvel Zombies movie now!)

Wanda was such a fantastic villain in this! Love how horrifying they made her with some of the shots they used for her scenes.

It was nice seeing Krasinski as Reed Richards (Hoping Emily Blunt is Susan Storm in the F4 movie) but I’m REALLY bitter on how he and along with Black Bolt died so easily without a fight (And holy crap, Black Bolt death is by FAR the most BRUTAL MCU death, Im amazed that Disney let Raimi get away with it).

It was great seeing Professor X again (This is like the 3rd time he’s died already, c’mon Marvel cut him some slack), although I wonder if it’s possible McAvoy will return as Charles in the MCU with Fassbender as Magneto.

Overall it’s not bad. I loved the serious and horror tone it had and would love to see more Marvel movies like this. Although I won’t lie, I do prefer NWH over this as the cameos felt important to Holland’s Spider-Man. That doesn’t mean I don’t want Raimi to come back for more Marvel movies!
I doubt he will make them the MCU's version (or at least the 616 version) of the characters because once you start to canonize into the 616 timeline the same actors in the same roles that were portrayed in the X-Men Universe of films for many years, it is basically telling the audience that that entire universe is canon with 616 and we know that they all aren't coming back, partly because Feige just wouldn't want some of those actors, but mostly because those movies got messy to say the least.

Bringing in alternate Universe versions of them as cameos is probably the most we'll see.

My GF point this out to me as it was happening.....the boys were taken down real quick so the girls could have their moment
Which honestly I love Cap, so Captain Carter getting a longer fight was fun......but like Reed is the smartest guy in the universe. He should have had a belt on that stopped her magic from working or something (they said they know of the evil book in their universe so im sure he studied it. But it is what it is...to me this feels like a teaser to see how much people want him as Reed....which yes....yes we do make it happen Disney or fans I think wont be happy.

I liked it. Definitely the most visually creative MCU film, IMO. There are definitely a lot of issues, especially the pace and some story choices, but otherwise had a good, fun time.

My biggest issue with the MCU so far is there is no clear direction as to what we're heading towards. With Iron Man, we knew we were getting to the Avengers Team-Up, and after Avengers, we knew the endgame (no pun intended) was Thanos. We've had 5 films and 5 shows, and we're still kinda clueless as to where the MCU is going. It seems likely that there will be an incursion that could set up Secret Wars, which I expect Ant-Man 3 to open up that door but it just kinda seems like they're running in place as of right now.

I liked it. Definitely the most visually creative MCU film, IMO. There are definitely a lot of issues, especially the pace and some story choices, but otherwise had a good, fun time.

My biggest issue with the MCU so far is there is no clear direction as to what we're heading towards. With Iron Man, we knew we were getting to the Avengers Team-Up, and after Avengers, we knew the endgame (no pun intended) was Thanos. We've had 5 films and 5 shows, and we're still kinda clueless as to where the MCU is going. It seems likely that there will be an incursion that could set up Secret Wars, which I expect Ant-Man 3 to open up that door but it just kinda seems like they're running in place as of right now.
I kinda agree but as long as the films are good....do we have to have a big narrative?

I feel like this phase is to explore/intoduce the Multi verse, set up new characters and evolve current people from phases before it. Wanda, Dr Strange, Spiderman are all in a very different place and almost different people in someways from infinity war which im very happy with. Thor looks to be about him finding himself and BP will be about how that place has to change after the death of another king

Reactions: n i c k and GA-MBIT
I kinda agree but as long as the films are good....do we have to have a big narrative?

I feel like this phase is to explore/intoduce the Multi verse, set up new characters and evolve current people from phases before it. Wanda, Dr Strange, Spiderman are all in a very different place and almost different people in someways from infinity war which im very happy with. Thor looks to be about him finding himself and BP will be about how that place has to change after the death of another king

I mean, yes? That's the point of MCU. Individual stories that tie into the larger picture.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I mean, yes? That's the point of MCU. Individual stories that tie into the larger picture.
Looks at everyone loving Moon Knights episode about the character and has nothing...nothing to do with the MCU

Think its evolving, and I want more stories that are good...if Thor 4 doesn't connect to the major story but as an amazing villain (which they keep hyping up) and a great story then wonderful. I rather this then the rumors of Mando apearing in Obi Wan....and kinda ruining part of the boba fett show (not saying the Mando episode isn't good...but come on its boba show focus on him)
Too much focus on the story can have very negative affects as well. As a villain once said....balance

But I'm just giving you a heads up.....I don't think until next year anything is about the major story...its about exploring the characters and worlds more.