Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Does Space Mountain make anyone else feel melancholic?

Sep 25, 2016
This is sort of an odd question, but I figured I'd ask it anyway. For quite some time I've been a big fan of the ride space mountain, but it almost feels sort of sombre/introspective.

There's quite a few things that come to mind between the ambient music, the blue/orange mood lighting, pitch black environment, vintage videos, etc

Also one other factor is sort of the nostalgic aspects of it.

Anyway, would be curious to hear if you guys feel the same way about it or if any other rides make you feel that way maybe.

Funny enough, I think about this often. For me, it’s the tunnel music. I don’t know what it is about it, but it makes me feel funky. Have no clue why. The entire rides soundtrack is that way: electronic and spacey (get it). I can’t think of any other ride that does it.

Space Mountain and a few others gives me a melancholic feel. Lot of variables. For starters, I am often at the parks by myself and the usual long wait makes me introspective. It makes me very observant of my surroundings. There's a sense of emptiness and mystery without a clear narrative, which leads to a bit of a dream-like feel in the queue. This is supported by the aging and pretty neat practical effects of space. How the stars out the window warp as you walk past them or the pepper's ghost effect of see-through planets. It's just kind of hard to read.
I don't know honestly, glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

Space Mountain and a few others gives me a melancholic feel. Lot of variables. For starters, I am often at the parks by myself and the usual long wait makes me introspective. It makes me very observant of my surroundings. There's a sense of emptiness and mystery without a clear narrative, which leads to a bit of a dream-like feel in the queue. This is supported by the aging and pretty neat practical effects of space. How the stars out the window warp as you walk past them or the pepper's ghost effect of see-through planets. It's just kind of hard to read.
I don't know honestly, glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
Very interesting because I have thought about why I feel that way, and that it’s probably weird, and then I see this thread ahaha. We can call it “The Space Mountain Effect”. Might be time for a YouTube video!

Space Mountain has that feeling because of 2001: A Space Odyssey's massive influence on the Sci-Fi genre from 1969 until the late '70s when Lucas and Scott added to the isolationism with action and horror respectively. Although, 2001 is still the king of space movies.
Still need to watch 2001. It’s on my quarantine list behind Parasite and the F&F franchise.

It's not melancholy for me, it's more nostalga and calmness. It feels very 'of it's time'

That and it has always felt really refreshing to me to come into the cold air conditioned queue, it has a similar effect to the queue for IAJA at Disneyland, it takes so long to get to the actual ride that it really feels like you have left the park and gone somewhere else!

Having ridden Space Mountain: From the Earth to the Moon at Disneyland Paris, I can say that is a totally different feeling experience. It's a positive exploration story, and IMO one of the greatest rides Disney has ever created.

Thank you for your replies everyone, it's interesting reading through them all! :thumbsup:

I can’t think of any other ride that does it.
I'd say although different E.T. gives me some similar feelings, as goofy as it is. Would potentially throw Transit Authority in there too.

There's a sense of emptiness and mystery without a clear narrative, which leads to a bit of a dream-like feel in the queue.
Very interesting point, I like this a lot. I also heavily relate to what you were talking about in reference to being introspective while on your own in the park, I like to kinda absorb the scenery and just take it all in.

It's not melancholy for me, it's more nostalga and calmness. It feels very 'of it's time'
I think these emotions while not the same can co-exist with the feelings I'm talking about actually. In general I think nostalgia is very bittersweet, because it's sort of looking back at something that was great, but it's past. As far as the calmness goes, I think that sort of pairs with the introspection.

I can see where you're coming from.

Space Mountain has that feeling because of 2001: A Space Odyssey's massive influence on the Sci-Fi genre from 1969 until the late '70s when Lucas and Scott added to the isolationism with action and horror respectively. Although, 2001 is still the king of space movies.
I can understand this a lot. Although from the 80's, Tron and Blade Runner give me a lot of feelings I'd relate to Space Mountain (albeit, them being less Space themed).

Thank you for your replies everyone, it's interesting reading through them all! :thumbsup:

I'd say although different E.T. gives me some similar feelings, as goofy as it is. Would potentially throw Transit Authority in there too.

Very interesting point, I like this a lot. I also heavily relate to what you were talking about in reference to being introspective while on your own in the park, I like to kinda absorb the scenery and just take it all in.

I think these emotions while not the same can co-exist with the feelings I'm talking about actually. In general I think nostalgia is very bittersweet, because it's sort of looking back at something that was great, but it's past. As far as the calmness goes, I think that sort of pairs with the introspection.

I can see where you're coming from.

I can understand this a lot. Although from the 80's, Tron and Blade Runner give me a lot of feelings I'd relate to Space Mountain (albeit, them being less Space themed).
It's interesting you mention Blade Runner. Ridley Scott had just finished making Alien when he made Blade Runner. Two of the best sci-fi movies ever. He can really capture the emotional feeling that comes with dark isolationism.

There is a radio show on the weekends on NPR that always makes me think of Space Mountain. It's called Hearts Of Space. Most NPR stations have it on around 10pm on Sat. and Sun.

Last edited:

Been thinking about this for the last 24 hours and I think you really nailed it, in addition to the pointing out that the ride has no real narrative or hand-holding. (Even Disneyland's has a bit more context and a more industrial, brutalist interior design in queue & load.)

I guess it really is a physical embodiment of a feeling/outlook towards space that was existent around that time. I’m just glad other people feel the same. I wish there was more of this sort of spacey feel to Tomorrowland.