Dollywood! | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Dollywood!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haha. I might check it out when I'm there next month. How did you find the wait times/prices/food, Jake?

Haha. I might check it out when I'm there next month. How did you find the wait times/prices/food, Jake?
I didn't spend much money in the park but I found it in line with what you would pay at Universal. There refillable cup however is the most over priced one I've ever heard of because "It's good for the season". Not that Uni's aren't either...

I didn't spend much money in the park but I found it in line with what you would pay at Universal. There refillable cup however is the most over priced one I've ever heard of because "It's good for the season". Not that Uni's aren't either...

So at Dollywood a refilable cup has an expiration date? Insane.

I never waited more than 20 minutes for anything except that simulator that gave me a headache and I ride all the rides twice. Blazed threw all of them in the morning and then went back to ride them all again in the evening.

I never waited more than 20 minutes for anything except that simulator that gave me a headache and I ride all the rides twice. Blazed threw all of them in the morning and then went back to ride them all again in the evening.

Jake what did you think of Adventure Mountain? And whats this I hear of BF water feature being no more.

Jake what did you think of Adventure Mountain? And whats this I hear of BF water feature being no more.

I'm not Jake, but I can comment on both of those. Sadly, the pool of water has been removed for Blazing Fury. I don't know if it's temporary, but it wasn't there either when I went in late May. As for Adventure Mountain, I love it! My only complaint would be the harness being a little tight on my, uh, package . . . but everything else was fine. It's a lot of fun and definitely not just for kids. Honestly, I saw more adults doing it than kids.

I'm not Jake, but I can comment on both of those. Sadly, the pool of water has been removed for Blazing Fury. I don't know if it's temporary, but it wasn't there either when I went in late May. As for Adventure Mountain, I love it! My only complaint would be the harness being a little tight on my, uh, package . . . but everything else was fine. It's a lot of fun and definitely not just for kids. Honestly, I saw more adults doing it than kids.

Thanks for the reply, that's to bad about Blazing Fury. As for Adventure Mountain I have heard it was a lot of fun from several people but the last time I was there it was under construction. Were heading back to Dollywood in late April early May depending on the new coaster and can't wait.

From tntornadox at ThemeParkReview:

The PR Machine has kicked in for the new attraction, the following linked spots have begun airing on Knoxville's Star 102.1 (hits station) that is also responsible for the soundtrack for Boomsday. (Where 2012 will be formally announced)

Spot Link 1

Or for those of you too lazy to click it:
"On September 4th... Boomsday... the way you think about Dollywood will change... forever."

This is in addition to a spot that began running a few days ago:
Spot Link 2

Or....:
"On Boomsday... fireworks remind us the sky is the limit. And Dollywood will announce... that it is not."

I didn't get to experience Adventure Mountain. Unfortunately being with family instead of friends kind of put a hampering on what I could experience and what I couldn't. I would have loved to atleast go on Sidewinder and I know I would have loved Adventure Mountain but alas I couldn't experience it.

I went to Dollywood on 7/7 and 7/8 and had a blast! Got to take advantage of their great online ticket deal which if you enter the park after 3pm on the first day, then you get a 2nd day free. On top of that it includes a free meal at your choice of 3 restaurants.

The park overall is excellent. I even dare say I like it better than all the Orlando parks.

Lines were almost nonexistent; never waited more than 10 minutes for anything. The queues aren't even set up to hold much at all. Barnstormer's line was out the queue into the walkway and it was 10 minutes. I also really like how on some rides the line splits into two lanes: one for parties of "1 or 2" and another for parties of "3 or larger."

All the staff were great. They were all very friendly and seemed to enjoy what they do. They all had a "down home" friendliness to them as opposed to what I call the "brainwashed Disney employee" friendliness. Ride operations couldn't be better. They were great about calling for single riders to fill every seat and I liked how they would grab your loose articles from you instead of having everyone cross the train to use the bins. The employees weren't afraid to call out people on being dumb either which I enjoyed.

Food was very very good for a theme park. Definitely the best food of any park. Ate at the Ham and Beans place as well as Aunt Granny's buffet. The cinnamon bread at the mill is also something you can't miss!

I give this park the award for strangest parking lot layout. It just seemed all over the place. Tram service was very efficient so it didn't matter how far you were as a tram was always nearby.
I wanted to mention a funny situation I ran into at the end of our first day. There were 3 in my party (My sister, girlfriend, and I) and only 2 seats left on the tram we were trying to board. Naturally we turn to get back and wait for the next tram, but an employee walks up and says "why don't you just have her (my girlfriend) sit on your lap?" Being so used to the overprotective nature of the Orlando parks it surprised us to hear that. That would never fly on the trams here where they even go so far as to have doors to keep people from jumping out :lol:

Now onto the rides I rode.

Thunderhead:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. This ride packs a punch. Lots of airtime with an out of control feeling. Rode in the back and towards the middle. The back definitely whips you around, but I got more airtime sitting towards the middle.

Mystery Mine:
Lots of fun. I really liked the indoor section, and the drops as well as the final inversions were great! Two negatives to this ride for me were that the first outdoor section is pretty rough and the restraints got way too tight on my manhood.

Blazing Fury:
Such a fun and cheesy ride. Definitely a classic. The dark ride portion will make you laugh and the drops at the end pack a surprising punch. Also, the bridge falling effect is really good for being so old.

Tennessee Tornado:
Surprisingly smooth for an old Arrow. It's short, but a great ride. It is built into the terrain very well. The first loop feels funky.

Barnstormer:
A great time for all. I'm a big fan of the Screamin' Swings.

Mountain Slidewinder:
Basically a big waterslide ridden on a toboggan. A pretty wild ride. You really get up high on the turns. Got to see footer work for the new ride on the way up.

Daredevil Falls:
A nicely themed flume ride.

All in all we had a great time. You can get a good look at the track for the new coaster from the train and it definitely looks B&M.

Last edited:
^Glad you liked it. I just spent a couple days up there. I was too much of a wimp to take my camera on Thunderhead, but I did manage to get one decent picture of the track pieces from the train. I'll upload it and a picture from the Slidewinder queue.

Photo Update

I borrowed my sister's ~fancy~ camera only to find out that it has a massive scratch on the lens. . . . AWESOME. . . . But any ways, I had a good trip to Dollywood as usual. I went to Splash Country for the first time in about 8 years, and they've expanded it quite a bit. It still needs a few more attractions, because it got packed fast. I didn't take my camera to Splash Country, but here's some pictures of Dollywood and the new track pieces:

The love of my life
IMG_0692.JPG

Adventure Mountain!
IMG_0652.JPG

I believe it's the largest of its kind at any theme park.
IMG_0653.JPG

It also has a decent theme. (But I curse those damn geysers for soaking me!)
IMG_0654.JPG

COURAGE.
IMG_0675.JPG

I just really enjoy swing rides. And Barnstormer has a nice theme as well. So just deal with my obsession over it.
IMG_0631.JPG

Does this not look like it would fit in at HHN? This is the thing that will show up at the end of your bed at night with a knife. . . .
IMG_0693.JPG

This cocky SOB would not stop pestering me for food. I swear he ate more of my lunch than I did.
IMG_0641.JPG

As I said earlier, I didn't take my camera on Thunderhead, despite it having the best view of the track pieces. But I did ride the train.
IMG_0661.JPG

It's actually a steam engine. And it actually pollutes the air. And it actually will cause nasty black flakes to land on your eyes. But still, it's tradition to ride the 5 mile trip each time we go.
IMG_0701.JPG

And there be the supports . . .
IMG_0706.JPG

. . . and there be the track.
IMG_0711.JPG

If you want to zoom in you can just copy/paste the image url into another tab.

Last edited:
So Dollywood has a page up for their 2012 coaster. They actually made the mistake of letting Facebookers guess what they think it will be. Naturally, there are quite a few "guesses" that are very specific lol. Especially mine.

--- Update ---

Also, it's all but confirmed to be themed after the flight of an eagle. "Wild Eagle" is being thrown around as the title. It would make sense, seeing as how they have the eagle sanctuary.