DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (Opening June 14, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't get it. Springfield is basically a redone food hall with a simple flat and it is hailed in high regard but this area looks to be a more thematically fleshed out, coherent kids area make over with a refreshed interactive water play area and whatever they are doing in the ball pit and some feel it is not enough? I honestly think a flat wouldn't have made much of an impact if it were included in this refresh as they are really doing a lot already from how it is looking. Kids like to play and kids like water and this refreshed land is enhancing both of those elements. What more could you ask for? (I am being rhetorical don't answer lol)

This is a good point...

If I had to guess, I'd say the way the theme park fandom approaches new additions/expansions/rethemes has changed dramatically since the days of the Springfield rollout. But I'd also say that Springfield made something of nothing: It took the most notoriously bland concrete expanse (and crappy restaurant) in the park and turned it all into an attractive destination. KidZone, dated as it was, did offer some pleasant theming that hits the nostalgia buttons for the folks who frequent this board and other fan communities. Several massive expansions to the park have planned to use the KidZone space, only to be pulled at the last minute (hence the KidZone curse moniker). I think some of the disappointment therefore stems from the knowledge that we *could* have gotten something as elaborate as Super Nintendo World but are instead getting a lateral retheme and tune-up.

Overall I obviously agree with the crux of what you’re saying, but I do think a flat ride or two should have been added. The parks in Orlando seem basically allergic to them outside of a token one or two in each park. They’re reliable diversions for people, and always nice to have.

As for why Springfield is often thought of as good while this is getting whinged over, it all comes down to the demographics each land serves
A more charitable and accurate assessment would be that the element of Simpsons that is widely praised is the theming of a narrow strip of very constrained territory along the lake. It did a lot with very little room. The praise for the Simpsons area generally DOES NOT extend to the ride itself, which most folks would like to see replaced.

KidZone has long been the largest and most desirable expansion pad in the park. Development of the area has been anticipated for over a decade, with good reason.

Just another perspective…

Not every family has kids 2 years apart. One of my good friends has a sister 10 years younger than them. Not saying this is every family out there, but the word “family” has a wiiddeeeeee meaning and should be noted in this thread.

Reactions: Casper Gutman
"Not for me" is a fine reason - just as long that it's understood this is a personal issue and not a Universal one. I think some are conflating the two.
Can I ask a question in the most earnest way possible…why does this matter? I mean maybe there’s a media perspective to this I don’t understand (back in my day we only monitored TripAdvisor and Twitter) which is why I’m curious for the emphasis on highlighting that an opinionated post by a personal account on a fan discussion board is not a criticism of Universal’s business decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpatulaShack
Can I ask a question in the most earnest way possible…why does this matter? I mean maybe there’s a media perspective to this I don’t understand (back in my day we only monitored TripAdvisor and Twitter) which is why I’m curious for the emphasis on highlighting that an opinionated post by a personal account on a fan discussion board is not a criticism of Universal’s business decisions.

I mean, why get wrapped in the minutiae of it all if it's just gonna add to the "back-and-forth" that's making it "harder and harder" for you "to jump into these threads."

• Haha
Reactions: OrlandoGuy
This is a good point...

If I had to guess, I'd say the way the theme park fandom approaches new additions/expansions/rethemes has changed dramatically since the days of the Springfield rollout. But I'd also say that Springfield made something of nothing: It took the most notoriously bland concrete expanse (and crappy restaurant) in the park and turned it all into an attractive destination. KidZone, dated as it was, did offer some pleasant theming that hits the nostalgia buttons for the folks who frequent this board and other fan communities. Several massive expansions to the park have planned to use the KidZone space, only to be pulled at the last minute (hence the KidZone curse moniker). I think some of the disappointment therefore stems from the knowledge that we *could* have gotten something as elaborate as Super Nintendo World but are instead getting a lateral retheme and tune-up.
This is the entire issue summed up. Well said!

Also, a note on the area's relevance - while Trolls and Kung Fu Panda are going concerns (although I wouldn't wager a great deal on Trolls 3 box office), a child who was 3 years old when the last Shrek movie came out is old enough to drive now.

To me that reads as Universal believes that Shrek has passed into it’s “evergreen” era.
Which is odd, because the Shrek films, more then any other major Dreamworks IP, were very much of a product of a particular cultural moment and haven't aged very well. It will be very interesting to see what a modern, relaunched Shrek looks like, if that ever gets off the ground.

Or they could just keep making Puss in Boots movies, since the last one was far and away the best thing Dreamworks (or Illuminations) has ever done.

Last edited:
Which is odd, because the Shrek films, more then any other major Dreamworks IP, was very much of a product of a particular cultural moment and haven't aged very well. It will be very interesting to see what a modern, relaunched Shrek looks like, if that ever gets off the ground.

Or they could just keep making Puss in Boots movies, since the last one was far and away the best thing Dreamworks (or Illuminations) has ever done.
From Alicia’s rumors, it does sound like there will be more Puss in Boots characters in the land. I think they’re definitely proud of it.

I think some of the disappointment therefore stems from the knowledge that we *could* have gotten something as elaborate as Super Nintendo World but are instead getting a lateral retheme and tune-up.
I that is the issue, and a very self inflicted one. People are holding on to the coulda, woulda of what may have been. Like it or not, the best decision was to move SNW to the new park that was being developed so it could be more of an organic build vs shoehorned like hollywood. But fortunately it is a very small percent of park goers that feel this way and an even smaller percent (parents with toddlers/kids) who kidzone caters to who are going to say "but this coulda been SNW". I feel if there was no knowledge that SNW was planned for the spot then people would feel differently.

By the way, new information and concepts for a very early Epic Universe show Super Nintendo World as ALWAYS a part of the new theme park, even back in 2016, a year before it was being planned for KidZone.

KidZone ended up being the backup plan when a lawsuit was preventing the newly purchased land for theme park use. As soon as the case was dismissed they moved SNW back to the new park.

We remember it the way we experienced it, but now looking back with better knowledge of the timeline, it’s KidZone for the location of the Nintendo pitch concept, before a partnership was announced. Then new theme park for the final SNW plan. KidZone as a last minute backup plan when they were worried the new park wasnt going to work out as planned. And then back to new theme park when approved.

By the way, new information and concepts for a very early Epic Universe show Super Nintendo World as ALWAYS a part of the new theme park, even back in 2016, a year before it was being planned for KidZone.

KidZone ended up being the backup plan when a lawsuit was preventing the newly purchased land for theme park use. As soon as the case was dismissed they moved SNW back to the new park.

We remember it the way we experienced it, but now looking back with better knowledge of the timeline, it’s KidZone for the location of the Nintendo pitch concept, before a partnership was announced. Then new theme park for the final SNW plan. KidZone as a last minute backup plan when they were worried the new park wasnt going to work out as planned. And then back to new theme park when approved.
That doesn't mean one can't still prefer one of these plans over the other!

But moving beyond that, this interesting information. Do you know if there was a different layout planned for that initial SNW at EU? Because I'd been under the assumption that what Japan's gotten and what EU is currently getting were lightly modified versions of the KidZone layout.

Or was it just a general "We'd like Nintendo in our new park" directive, and the major design work happened when it was intended for KidZone?

Probably questions better-suited for some other thread!

That timeline sure clears up a lot....and makes complete sense....Thanks for the new info.
Happy So Excited GIF

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Nico
but it is a needed addition.
What's the addition?

Have I told you I love you?
The insight these boards have sometimes.

Reactions: alias8703
Man. This thread was a fun rollercoaster today. That debate has been simmering across the boards for months. There were a lot of good points, and it’s always helpful to get a better sense of where everyone’s coming from. Plus its cool to learn more about the origin of the rumor we’re discussing.

Hoping there are others who feel better about things after today’s convo. Tension’s never fun on the boards, but from time to time it’s helpful to talk through it.

Don't get me wrong, I love ET. It's my favorite dark ride in the park currently. But I'm also a huge Nintendo guy. I wouldn't mind ET leaving if something Nintendo related replaced it.
Well I guess it’s a good think they’re not building Nintendo anywhere that would require placement for expansion haha