Dune (2021) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Dune (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I absolutely love Denis Villeneuve - there hasn’t been a movie he’s made that I disliked (maybe Enemy, but even that had some solid moments).

But….even with the stellar cast, I just can’t get excited for this. It just feels like a more artistic version of John Carter.

I realize that’s shortchanging the source material, but I don’t know why I can’t get pumped for the movie.
I'm on the opposite site of the spectrum as I love the trailer and am so hyped for this movie. I love the Dune books and from what I see Denis is the person who can make this into an amazing movie. The locations, sets, costumes, casts and music all breath the masterpiece the book is. I am going to see this September 16th for sure in cinema.

Past Friday I watched Dune in IMAX 3D and I was blown away.
The story surprised me at points as it doesn't follow the book at all times. The acting is amazing and there is no weak performance. Cinematography, costumes, sets, locations, art direction and the music are all leaps ahead of what I have ever experienced in a theater as they meld together perfectly. They all are there to forward the story in a way I have never seen nor felt. In that regard it's something new and knowing people and their hesitance for change I'm sure this isn't for everyone (what is?) but it's honest and made with passion and the end result is more than it's individual parts. Above all it honors the book and it's story and vision and it's hard to find it nowadays especially in big budget movies where it is a product for consumers. If you have the chance, go watch a piece of modern cinema history in theaters, I know a lot of countries still have to but it is worth it.

Past Friday I watched Dune in IMAX 3D and I was blown away.
The story surprised me at points as it doesn't follow the book at all times. The acting is amazing and there is no weak performance. Cinematography, costumes, sets, locations, art direction and the music are all leaps ahead of what I have ever experienced in a theater as they meld together perfectly. They all are there to forward the story in a way I have never seen nor felt. In that regard it's something new and knowing people and their hesitance for change I'm sure this isn't for everyone (what is?) but it's honest and made with passion and the end result is more than it's individual parts. Above all it honors the book and it's story and vision and it's hard to find it nowadays especially in big budget movies where it is a product for consumers. If you have the chance, go watch a piece of modern cinema history in theaters, I know a lot of countries still have to but it is worth it.

Thanks for the no spoiler review!
I've heard some say it doesnt have as satisfying an end as hoped as it's clearly setup for a part 2, did you think the same?

They split it up into 2 movies as there is too much to cover in just 1, but they were not allowed to film parts 1 and 2 back to back.

Thanks for the no spoiler review!
I've heard some say it doesnt have as satisfying an end as hoped as it's clearly setup for a part 2, did you think the same?
I was wondering that myself before I went to see the movie as I knew it was "only" half the book. When The title screen rolled I thought to myself that I felt satisfied watching this movie, even if the next one wouldn't come along. I knew the story, and I got surprises there, but I was there for the journey, for how Denis Villeneuve's vision would be and that was above and beyond what I expected.

I'll go back to watch the movie again this afternoon to relive the experience (something I never do) and I will buy the 4K blu-ray the moment it is released and I pre-ordered The Art and Soul of Dune book. That's how much I care for it and in the end it doesn't mater to me if the second one is made (although I would be over the moon if it does). I got a look into this world on a scale I never could have imagined when I read the books so when I now re-read the books I got that this version to envision it by.

Reactions: Jamesh22
So, full transparency: I watched Dune on HBOMax. I don't have IMAX at my town, it's a few hours ahead in LV/Henderson.

But damnit do I want to find some way to go to Henderson to go see Dune in IMAX. It was an experience that I heavily now wish I could've seen on the largest screen I possibly could've. It's that good. Give Dennis all the money.

So, full transparency: I watched Dune on HBOMax. I don't have IMAX at my town, it's a few hours ahead in LV/Henderson.

But damnit do I want to find some way to go to Henderson to go see Dune in IMAX. It was an experience that I heavily now wish I could've seen on the largest screen I possibly could've. It's that good. Give Dennis all the money.

I saw it a couple of weeks back in a normal theater and it wasn't that great in my opinion. This week I saw it IMAX and liked it much more. The first time I saw it was early in the morning and IMAX was at night. I'm sure the time difference made an impact, but I would definitely reccomend this in IMAX. The whole thing wasn't shot for that format, but various scenes throughout the entire movie take advantage of it. Even if you walk out hating Dune, you can't deny that it's gorgeous.

I just got diagnosed with Sciatica so not sure I can sit in the theatre this weekend, but this is the movie that’ll get me back in the theatres. Our local one is back open and dead as could be it seems, so, I’m very into going now.

I haven’t seen or read any Dune before, I’m going on as blind as you could, which I know is a unique perspective possibly. No imax but that’s okay with me.

Reactions: belloq87 and tielo
Saw it yesterday in a theater and loved it, but not sure if it will find the size of audience it needs/deserves.

Really hope the deal made to allow this to stream on HBOM involved a sequel getting greenlit, not finishing the story would be a travesty.

I just got diagnosed with Sciatica so not sure I can sit in the theatre this weekend, but this is the movie that’ll get me back in the theatres. Our local one is back open and dead as could be it seems, so, I’m very into going now.

I haven’t seen or read any Dune before, I’m going on as blind as you could, which I know is a unique perspective possibly. No imax but that’s okay with me.

I went in blind too! I didn't read the books, or watch Lynch's movie; and I came out of this highly satisfied.

Echoing with @Jamesh22, if Part Two doesn't get made; I will be dissappointed.

I went in expecting a Denis Villeneuve movie and came out with a Denis Villeneuve movie; dense, visually stunning, with beautiful sound design.

It definitely felt like the first part of a five to six hour movie, but I think that it will play a lot better after Part 2, personally.

Overall, I loved it and will be re-watching it this weekend.

Fan of Lynch's effort, I wasn't expecting much. I like Dennis and he is an incredible director but the hype didn't register with me. After seeing it I was stunned on how much I enjoyed it. I know this is a Imax experience but I quite liked it from the comfort of my home.

Reactions: tielo and Grabnar
I think the film looks great, but think for sure this series seems like it should be a TV series, that ending is not an ending to a film

This is a long series and easily should have been a TV show but it looked, sounded and acted well.

I've seen it on my huge tv and first in cinema on Imax and for sure the scale is partially lost on the small screen. I'm glad it's also in cinema's and wasn't a tv show as that scale was nowhere to be experienced. I hear that part 2 is a sure bet although nothing official.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Just got back from watching it at my local cinema, Visually stunning and a lot more faithful to the book than the 1984 version. I really enjoyed this version and I hope they get to make Part 2, with the takeover of WB by Discovery in 2022 hopefully the new boss will greenlight it asap.