E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it depends on the smells, I remember hearing stories about how UoE had it's decaying smell turned off due to people worrying about allergic reactions when it was just fake. I could see people smell pine and freak out.

Reactions: anihilnation
Maybe to be kind to people with asthma or other long diseases?
Perfumes or most "scented" respirable particles (particles that are so small they get into the longs and into your bloodstream) are likely to trigger an instant asthma attack in me. Often that effect wanes off after an hour or so but it could lead to worse. Depending on the kind of particles they can, in the long term, result in cancer.

Scents indeed can trigger asthma attacks, though you can't expect Universal to have to eliminate them. After I had Covid I developed bad asthma and allergies (luckily it is all controlled now) ; anyway, going to HHN last year I was worried about possible asthma attacks due to scents and so just made sure I had my rescue inhaler with me, luckily I never needed it. Personally for me, my worst trigger remains bleach, even a faint smell of bleach gives me almost instant chest tightness.

I think it depends on the smells, I remember hearing stories about how UoE had it's decaying smell turned off due to people worrying about allergic reactions when it was just fake. I could see people smell pine and freak out.

Certain smells can trigger asthma-like symptoms due to the neurological reasons, a lot of olfactory processing is done in the Insula which also connects to emotional centers in the brain, this is why we can speak of a disgusting smell. It is really quite fascinating.

Did they also not alter the smoke in Transformers because of people complaining?

As for HHN, I have also heard people complain of skin irritation the next day, which makes sense since most scents are based upon essential oils, which can cause some skin irritation.

Scents indeed can trigger asthma attacks, though you can't expect Universal to have to eliminate them. After I had Covid I developed bad asthma and allergies (luckily it is all controlled now) ; anyway, going to HHN last year I was worried about possible asthma attacks due to scents and so just made sure I had my rescue inhaler with me, luckily I never needed it. Personally for me, my worst trigger remains bleach, even a faint smell of bleach gives me almost instant chest tightness.

Certain smells can trigger asthma-like symptoms due to the neurological reasons, a lot of olfactory processing is done in the Insula which also connects to emotional centers in the brain, this is why we can speak of a disgusting smell. It is really quite fascinating.

Did they also not alter the smoke in Transformers because of people complaining?

As for HHN, I have also heard people complain of skin irritation the next day, which makes sense since most scents are based upon essential oils, which can cause some skin irritation.
I never suggested I was expecting Universal to eliminate scents. I'm already glad smoking in restaurants, queue's and in a lot of public areas is forbidden (it took the Netherlands longer to get smart and even queue's aren't smoke free yet unfortunately) but one can only hope that general health would win it from chemical smelly stuff that is a health hazard and is worse than smelling crap.
Theater smoke, used in some attractions is a tricky one. Most of them don't trigger me. The smoke that drops to the floor for instance is fine, smoke that needs to linger is worse but it never resulted in an attack for me. Again, don't expect Universal to stop it but alternatives that aren't hazards are available and one could hope...

I never suggested I was expecting Universal to eliminate scents. I'm already glad smoking in restaurants, queue's and in a lot of public areas is forbidden (it took the Netherlands longer to get smart and even queue's aren't smoke free yet unfortunately) but one can only hope that general health would win it from chemical smelly stuff that is a health hazard and is worse than smelling crap.
Theater smoke, used in some attractions is a tricky one. Most of them don't trigger me. The smoke that drops to the floor for instance is fine, smoke that needs to linger is worse but it never resulted in an attack for me. Again, don't expect Universal to stop it but alternatives that aren't hazards are available and one could hope...

You are Dutch? I am from Belgium (West-Flanders), though been living in Orlando for a little over 20 years now. Hospitals here don't even allow you to smoke outside, I just wish the central bus station would become completely smoke free. Cigarette smoke doesn't trigger asthma, I just hate the smell (maybe especially since I smoked when younger), the smell of incense often bothers me, so my daughter always closes her door when she burns it. I am very glad my asthma and allergies are now controlled, definitely makes it easier to appreciate things.

Reactions: tielo
I went on E.T. last week and it still smelled like the E.T. ride smell to me? The water/trees/nostalgia scent was there as far as I can tell.

Also, to answer the original question: Forever. E.T. Adventure must never be replaced. [Clinging on hard here lol]

Since, Steven Speilberg is keeping ET safe from getting gutted and replaced by something else, It won’t happen for very long time until he is at the endpoint of his lifetime regardless how much you love it or hate it. The guy is a third quarter of a century, and he could continue to keep that ride safe if he makes it to another twenty-five years, depending on his health conditions.

Since, Steven Speilberg is keeping ET safe from getting gutted and replaced by something else, It won’t happen for very long time until he is at the endpoint of his lifetime regardless how much you love it or hate it. The guy is a third quarter of a century, and he could continue to keep that ride safe if he makes it to another twenty-five years, depending on his health conditions.

I think linking Spielberg's life expectancy to that of a theme park ride is in exceptionally poor taste, no matter how you slice it.

I’m not saying anything tasteless, I’m just determining how long ET could last at the park, and I actually don’t have any problems with Spielberg protecting the ride at all, since the movie is still a classic. If it were to be replace now, it would an IP that wouldn’t reach a thirty year milestone and onward, so this gives Universal plenty of time for a worthy successor years from now, but I do understand it won’t last forever either, since not all attractions are sacred.

I’m not saying anything tasteless, I’m just determining how long ET could last at the park, and I actually don’t have any problems with Spielberg protecting the ride at all, since the movie is still a classic. If it were to be replace now, it would an IP that wouldn’t reach a thirty year milestone and onward, so this gives Universal plenty of time for a worthy successor years from now, but I do understand it won’t last forever either, since not all attractions are sacred.

The problem isn't whether or not you agree Spielberg should be protecting the ride (if he is, which has never actually been confirmed). You all but speculated on how long someone may live in relation to whether a ride will remain open. While I'm sure you aren't speaking maliciously, I encourage you to consider how some might find that crude, at best. Please drop it, and let's move on.

Personally I never buy that whole ET can't be closed because of Spielberg narrative. When they finally have something big to replace kidzone, then I imagine ET would go with it.
That depends on exactly how big the replacement would be. Given the park’s current newfound love for ET all over social media and on merchandise, I actually don’t see them being overly willing to remove it unless the replacement for Kidzone would be MASSIVE and deemed worth it. I see the park keeping a replacement within the Barney/fievel/woody/curious George footprint as much as possible. I can see them pulling a midway mania and rerouting the queue and entrance, however. If all of Kidzone is taken up by a new show building or land, that would leave the current entrance inaccessible. If that were the case, I’d see them just building ET a new entrance and making it a Hollywood attraction. As of late, the park seems to really be embracing ET

That depends on exactly how big the replacement would be. Given the park’s current newfound love for ET all over social media and on merchandise, I actually don’t see them being overly willing to remove it unless the replacement for Kidzone would be MASSIVE and deemed worth it. I see the park keeping a replacement within the Barney/fievel/woody/curious George footprint as much as possible. I can see them pulling a midway mania and rerouting the queue and entrance, however. If all of Kidzone is taken up by a new show building or land, that would leave the current entrance inaccessible. If that were the case, I’d see them just building ET a new entrance and making it a Hollywood attraction. As of late, the park seems to really be embracing ET
Probably depends a lot also whether or not ET does well from a technical point of view, if it runs well and there is no excessive costs to keep it up, then it definitely makes sense to keep it going as long as possible. With the broomstick ride no longer happening, it seems to me that they also are quite unsure what to do with the entire backside of the park there. With Epic coming in 2025 they are probably not in a hurry for anything else.

Reactions: biggerboat16
Plenty of room without killing E.T.

There's enough room to work on something without having to remove ET... BUT it's more a question if management wants to keep maintaining ET. The current state of the ride (and MIB) shows they are doing the bare minimum to keep it open until they find an eligible replacement or decide to refurb.

There's enough room to work on something without having to remove ET... BUT it's more a question if management wants to keep maintaining ET. The current state of the ride (and MIB) shows they are doing the bare minimum to keep it open until they find an eligible replacement or decide to refurb.
I'm not sure if it's bare minimum or they just continue to fix something old

For instance, I have an old Pontiac Tempest from the 70s that my dad and I put a modern engine, modern breaking system, ac system, etc.

The body is the same and it still has the classic look, but everything underneath has been replaced.

I could have chosen a much cheaper route and just found parts for what was broken or spent a little more (ok fine a lot more) and replaced the "hidden" stuff with modern tech

I feel Universal takes the old car/old parts technique.

Instead of replacing all the AAs with more modern ones and relaunching the ride, they continue to fix the ones they have.

Instead of considering a different ride system, they continue to run the one they have

Of course there are exceptions to this, but it seems they are bent towards that way of doing things.

Sometimes I wonder if it's really more cost effective to just fix rather than replace and relaunch