Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Nick, you are saying that you feel absolutely confident that they will not open until January of 2021. Is that your position?
No, it's not. This is fluid and who knows, so I can't say solidly one way or another. With a potential second wave in the fall, that also complicates things because do you really want to open in August (previously rumored date) just to have to close again in October or November? It's a very tough situation. And Does Disney want to miss out on the MNSSHP, F&W and MVMCP? I'm sure they don't. But if they have data showing no one is booking and there's no market for a quick return, then yes, they might wait.

Really, I think the answer is we just don't know right now and anyone who says they do know is full of it.

This is fluid and who knows, so I can't say solidly one way or another.

giphy.gif

I hope they open universal for HHN.
I also hope they have discounts for out of state passholders.
I'm not worried about the crowds, already had the mexican beer virus back in February, i got better.

I fear the megalopolis of the northeastern US will be traveling by car to pristine safe Maine this summer and fall. That is how 99% of them have gotten here in the past. The ones that do fly are usually flying in on private jets.

If things are running again, you better believe I will be in Ogunquit in October for my wedding anniversary, I’ll do my best to bring my CT germs with me.

Reactions: Teebin and Mad Dog
I fear the megalopolis of the northeastern US will be traveling by car to pristine safe Maine this summer and fall. That is how 99% of them have gotten here in the past. The ones that do fly are usually flying in on private jets.

Prepare yourself a stiff drink mate.

7280DCB6-9803-4E92-A3DF-1C1D0241BD6A.jpeg

Reactions: Teebin
On the (IMO unlikely) chance that they require a COVID test prior to entry, am I the only one that thinks the parking booths is the best spot for that? Swab right after the parking fee is collected, then put a number on the car. Once the results for everyone in that car is cleared, then they are signaled from the parking space that they can exit the vehicle. If they test positive, they are asked to leave without ever getting out of the car.

Maybe it will be much later in the year...but with events like Comic Con and concerts being not allowed...why would Disneyland be allowed to let people in? I mean I guess if they only let you in based on times that could...maybe work but seems to be like a big fight would come up is theme parks could open but not a concert because im sure other venues would want to be able to modify their events if theme parks can

On the (IMO unlikely) chance that they require a COVID test prior to entry, am I the only one that thinks the parking booths is the best spot for that? Swab right after the parking fee is collected, then put a number on the car. Once the results for everyone in that car is cleared, then they are signaled from the parking space that they can exit the vehicle. If they test positive, they are asked to leave without ever getting out of the car.

I wonder if parks will even collect parking fees if they require guests to take a COVID test to enter the park. It'd be a guest service nightmare for someone to pay the $30 only to find out 20 min later that they it will have been for nothing.

Reactions: Suprachica79
In the most unsurprising news ever (since it hasn't started filming) Spider-Man 3 moves to November 2021:

Spider-verse shifts too:

and Mission Impossible does the same x 2:

November is going to be an amazing month for movies for the next 3 years.

These tests take hours or up to a week for results. They could require some documented proof but that can be easily forged. If there was a national computer database, they could check against that but there would be privacy concerns and the cost to access that system.

They'll also have to enforce proof at the main entrance for those commuting through other means. They'd have to do it for CityWalk patrons too. It's going to be a logistical nightmare, so I don't see this option happening at all.

In the most unsurprising news ever (since it hasn't started filming) Spider-Man 3 moves to November 2021:

Spider-verse shifts too:

and Mission Impossible does the same x 2:

November is going to be an amazing month for movies for the next 3 years.
And as I posted above, Spider-Man's move forced Doctor Strange 2 to move. Also, Warner Brothers is doubling down on it's July 17th date for Tenet as of now. The only major movie to release within a month of that is Mulan a week later (tentatively). If they truly hold fort on that date, it might not be the worst idea as it would be the only new movie in theaters, so it could play on virtually every screen in to both 1. Safely social distance in public and 2. Still make a lot of money with it being on every screen.

In a way, WB taking a risk with Tenet (if it pays off) could help to kickstart the theater industry much faster than it otherwise would and get audiences comfortable with going out again. It could literally save an industry in some ways.

These tests take hours or up to a week for results. They could require some documented proof but that can be easily forged. If there was a national computer database, they could check against that but there would be privacy concerns and the cost to access that system.

They'll also have to enforce proof at the main entrance for those commuting through other means. They'd have to do it for CityWalk patrons too. It's going to be a logistical nightmare, so I don't see this option happening at all.
There are 15 minute tests that are out there, although in very limited supply. I know to get one around this area, you have to actually pay for the test - it's not the free test that takes about a week. Those 15 minute tests are currently not at all feasible for mass use at theme parks, concerts, etc.

Last edited:
And as I posted above, Spider-Man's move forced Doctor Strange 2 to move. Also, Warner Brothers is doubling down on it's July 17th date for Tenet as of now. The only major movie to release within a month of that is Mulan a week later (tentatively). If they truly hold fort on that date, it might not be the worst idea as it would be the only new movie in theaters, so it could play on virtually every screen in to both 1. Safely social distance in public and 2. Still make a lot of money with it being on every screen.

In a way, WB taking a risk with Tenet (if it pays off) could help to kickstart the theater industry much faster than it otherwise would and get audiences comfortable with going out again. It could literally save an industry in some ways.

There are 15 minute tests that are out there, although in very limited supply. I know to get one around this area, you have to actually pay for the test - it's not the free test that takes about a week. Those 15 minute tests are currently not at all feasible for mass use at theme parks, concerts, etc.

You can't help but notice the irony of Doctor Strange 2 being delayed given how Scott Derrickson left the project because of the tight scheduling.

You do wonder how much of a benefit this could give the creatives to fix problems they have been having or come up with better ideas.

You can't help but notice the irony of Doctor Strange 2 being delayed given how Scott Derrickson left the project because of the tight scheduling.

You do wonder how much of a benefit this could give the creatives to fix problems they have been having or come up with better ideas.
This is Doctor Strange's second delay in just a few weeks too (honestly though, I think getting Raimi on board is a bit of an improvement). Sony forced Marvel's hand by moving Spider-Man where they did. Now the MCU has a situation where they have 3 movies coming out in a 4 month window in 2022 (Thor 4 - 2/11, Strange 2 - 3/26 and Black Panther 2 - 5/6).

And those 3 are coming on the heals of a PACKED 2021 with comic book movies with Eternals, Morbius, Shang-chi, Venom 2, Into the Spiderverse 2, Spider-Man 3, and DC movies like The Suicide Squad, The Batman and Black Adam. If ever comic book movie fatigue were to set in, 2021-2022 is about when it would happen. Most of the movies are based on lesser-tiered characters as well (with the exception of Spider-Man and The Batman).

EDIT: It's also likely New Mutants gets pushed to 2021 if they keep it as a theatrical release.

Last edited:
This is Doctor Strange's second delay in just a few weeks too. Sony forced Marvel's hand by moving Spider-Man where they did. No the MCU has a situation where they have 3 movies coming out in a 4 month window in 2022 (Thor 4 - 2/11, Strange 2 - 3/26 and Black Panther 2 - 5/6).

And those 3 are coming on the heals of a PACKED 2021 with comic book movies with Eternals, Morbius, Shang-chi, Venom 2, Into the Spiderverse 2, Spider-Man 3, and DC movies like The Suicide Squad, The Batman and Black Adam. If ever comic book movie fatigue were to set in, 2021-2022 is about when it would happen. Most of the movies are based on lesser-tiered characters as well (with the exception of Spider-Man and The Batman).

That's actually an interesting point. We're going from a major drought to overkill.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.