Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - ENTERTAINMENT AND TOURISM THREAD!
Entertainment & Tourism thread. You can take this discussion over to the COVID General Discussion thread if you wish to continue.
I'm legit begging y'all to check what thread you're in.

a problem i had at the beginning was that the general thread is hidden in the chit chat section which cant be read if you are logged off
and chit chat is at the bottom of the forum which is not always visited by everyone. at first when i was posting about covid i had no idea there was another one, it was kinda hidden

And if it's even only 90% effective, why bother? From a legal perspective, that 10% false negative rate is just one more minor hurdle for the plaintiff to jump, after the giant DLR-style signs saying "you may catch COVID by entering" and having to prove you caught in MK and not in Publix or on the plane ride down. Ultimately any "medical check" will be theater, like post-9/11security. Albeit one playing with highly regulated government data and potential to offend the ADA.

Unrelated, but over on Magic, Magic Feather dropped a bomb--Voyage of the Little Mermaid won't be re-opening--but also mentioned Frozen Sing-Along Celebration will be getting assigned seating like a movie theater.

Not surprisingly, it sounds like competing plans are on the table. This somewhat contradicts the Doomsday Scenario (which still foresaw an August opening btw). At the same time, it seems like no one at the Mouse is expecting capacity to be an issue for a while.

Finally a couple thoughts on a potential 2021 re-opening. Not quoting anyone because not trying to call anyone out, just something for all points of view to remember: nothing takes place in a vacuum.

WDW is a unique entity that owes its existence solely to Florida government--Reed Creek's autonomy and the DVC program (which is legally not timeshare) and its police service from Orange County, they all could be revoked with a simple vote. WDW has a close-knit relationship with state and local government, but it also risks bankrupting both of those every additional week it stays closed. Local Chambers and industry associations--who also have lobbyists downtown and in Tallahassee--are feeling this closure as well. That has to generate enormous pressure.

At the same time, unemployment benefits won't run forever. Even with generous extensions, I don't see them going 10 months. Even if they did, not enough to live in this high cost-of-living town. I already see a couple U-Hauls outside my apartment building every weekend, and they haven't given tours or opened the rental office in a month, so I imagine its people moving out, not in. I don't know how you begin to re-open the parks in 2021 if half your 70k workers have moved out-of-town.

This last point cribbed from a controversial YouTuber, but I have no reason to doubt it -- ISAW uses over 10k motors not including the boats and waterway. Imagine leaving all these systems, some decades old, unattended for 10 months. How many are actually going to start up again?

Literally every day WDW is closed it becomes that much harder to re-open. I don't doubt they will lose money for a while, but the logistics of running the park and the optics of appearing open for business mean they let people in the day their Legal team says it's ok.

what if disney bought thousands of masks and gave them to each person at the park at entrance?

a problem i had at the beginning was that the general thread is hidden in the chit chat section which cant be read if you are logged off
and chit chat is at the bottom of the forum which is not always visited by everyone. at first when i was posting about covid i had no idea there was another one, it was kinda hidden

Its forum whereabouts doesn't excuse the thread getting off-topic. There's only so much we can do without handholding. It's possible to bookmark the thread, or "watch" it. Of course, the easiest way is using the "What's New" tab. Other than that, IDK what else to say.

Its forum whereabouts doesn't excuse the thread getting off-topic. There's only so much we can do without handholding. It's possible to bookmark the thread, or "watch" it. Of course, the easiest way is using the "What's New" tab. Other than that, IDK what else to say.
why is the chit chat only available on logged in? maybe the other covid thread could be seen even in log out.

Also to add, the first post in this thread has a link to the general discussion.

Something about seeing that the last Blockbuster in Bend, Oregon is still doing business through all of this just gave me a feeling of hope :lol:

The DVD/BR business is 'booming' once again. Short term for sure, but booming nonetheless, especially for older catalog product selling online.

Again guys, none of that has to do with the topic of the thread. Also, please refrain from posting just for the sake of posting in here. If it doesn't add to the conversation or not on topic, then it's probably best to step back and not post.

If you wanna talk about random COVID stuff, bring it over to the General discussion.

Let's say the parks reopen on June 1st and let's say that the peak is past but the virus is still out there and there's still a chance that you can catch it regardless of how many precautions you take.

What happens if you catch COVID when you're visiting the parks and are staying on site. Take my June trip for example, what happens if I catch it on the flight over and symptoms start to appear on day 2 of my trip and I have 4 more days left in my Disney hotel and then 10 days after that at Universal?

I obviously should be quarantining but do I continue to stay in my room, am I allowed to move to another hotel? Would I even be welcome?

It's not like I'll be able to fly home nor do I like the idea of being thrown out my hotel and basically being homeless in a foreign country.

Let's say the parks reopen on June 1st and let's say that the peak is past but the virus is still out there and there's still a chance that you can catch it regardless of how many precautions you take.

Very good questions and very austere. The good news is that I don’t believe international flights will be that common by then... the international stuff is going to take a bit of time to figure out.

What happens if you catch COVID when you're visiting the parks and are staying on site. Take my June trip for example, what happens if I catch it on the flight over and symptoms start to appear on day 2 of my trip and I have 4 more days left in my Disney hotel and then 10 days after that at Universal?

I obviously should be quarantining but do I continue to stay in my room, am I allowed to move to another hotel? Would I even be welcome?

It's not like I'll be able to fly home nor do I like the idea of being thrown out my hotel and basically being homeless in a foreign country.
Honestly, these questions are probably just as important for opening as the questions about distancing in the parks.

I know that a lot of colleges and universities are dealing with similar issues about bringing students back to dorms in the fall and what they do if students start getting sick.

I expect that the county (and state?) will require that they have some sort of plan to house and care for people who develop symptoms, whether it's in their original hotel rooms, in dedicated isolation hotel wings, or somewhere offsite.

As for international travel, I expect the US restrictions to remain in place for most of the year so I don't see that as an immediate issue.

Reactions: Scott W. and Clive
Status
Not open for further replies.