Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 108 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a vaccine. There are plenty of viruses that don't have vaccines. Even widespread ones like HIV. A vaccine is not a certainty; a treatment should suffice.
HIV is a retro-virus, not a normal virus. It also uses the body's own defenses against it, unlike Corona. They're not comparable.

HIV is a retro-virus, not a normal virus. It also uses the body's own defenses against it, unlike Corona. They're not comparable.

I believe Andy’s overall point was that there’s a real possibility there is no vaccine. I think the fastest vaccine ever developed took 4 years, and coronaviruses as a whole have not had any vaccine developed.

I think believe Andy’s overall point was that there’s a real possibility there is no vaccine. I think the fastest vaccine ever developed took 4 years, and coronaviruses as a whole have not had any vaccine developed.
And even if we do get a vaccine, mutations and variations may make it less effective than what people think of when they think of a vaccine. For this type of virus, we probably can’t put all of our eggs in the vaccine basket. It may be part of what gets us through this, or not help at all, but it’s too early to think of it as a magic bullet.

And even if we do get a vaccine, mutations and variations may make it less effective than what people think of when they think of a vaccine. For this type of virus, we probably can’t put all of our eggs in the vaccine basket. It may be part of what gets us through this, or not help at all, but it’s too early to think of it as a magic bullet.
*So far* COVID hasn’t mutated that fast and most experts aren’t worried about that. Key words are so far of course

I think believe Andy’s overall point was that there’s a real possibility there is no vaccine. I think the fastest vaccine ever developed took 4 years, and coronaviruses as a whole have not had any vaccine developed.
4 years? Then why the hell is everyone saying we will have a cure by January? ( i know not everyone but seems like what many have been throwing out as the earliest we will see it)

4 years? Then why the hell is everyone saying we will have a cure by January? ( i know not everyone but seems like what many have been throwing out as the earliest we will see it)
There’s reasons to be hopeful we can have a working vaccine by the end of the year. That being said it’s far from a guarantee, and even if there is one by that timeframe we still need to manufacture enough, which will not be quick

Reactions: Frogki

because the last time we had a pandemic was 100 years ago and science has come a long way since then.

because the last time we had a pandemic was 100 years ago and science has come a long way since then.
Sure but just werid they made up a time frame. To me sounds like people who don't know making things up to make us all feel better.

There’s reasons to be hopeful we can have a working vaccine by the end of the year. That being said it’s far from a guarantee, and even if there is one by that timeframe we still need to manufacture enough, which will not be quick
I understand even if we made a cure by end of the year, it would take time to get out there. Hell we don't even have enough tests but to me the US government just saying by next year we should have something when really we don't have a real time table is just kinda stupid at least to me.

Remember this virus is a world wide problem. It's a health problem but much more a financial problem to the people in power (companies/world leaders). Finding a cure or a vaccine can make you unbelievably rich. And it would help the economy. So every single company and every single country is working on the solutions 24/7. Testing is even going to skip the animal fase an will go straight to human testing to speed it up. Financing is no problem. I think this can and will be going quicker than a regular vaccine or medicine.

Might not have been the greatest movie ever but Endgame was by far one of the best movie experiences although I doubt they could recreate that.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen Endgame.

Besides Terminator 2 and Back to the Future, these are probably going to be the only films that could get me back into a cinema.

A January prediction is just a guess. Anyone who is putting a date on a vaccine is being optimistic, disingenuous or just flat out making a prediction. My main point was that we are more accurate/truthful saying “if” there is a vaccine vs “when”.

The positive thing though is that we have the entirety of the worlds medical community on this particular issue. And I don’t believe that’s ever been done before; at least not at this level.
So to have the brightest minds all on one concerted effort; if a vaccine is to be made, it should come at a much faster pace than we’ve ever seen previously. Not accounting for possible mutations or other unseen difficulties, of course.

Major movie theaters likely aren't opening until Tenet on July 17th at the very earliest. The only theaters to open before then are likely drive ins or local theaters.

Also, CMX Theaters is the first major theater company to file for bankruptcy:

Texas governor announced yesterday that our stay at home expires April 30th and stores, restaurants, museums, malls, & movie theaters are allowed to open on the 1st with a 25% capacity limit.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Texas governor announced yesterday that our stay at home expires April 30th and stores, restaurants, museums, malls, & movie theaters are allowed to open on the 1st with a 25% capacity limit.
There's no movies out for them though. AMC already said they won't be opening until Tenet is released in July

Reactions: HHN Yeti Lover
There's no movies out for them though. AMC already said they won't be opening until Tenet is released in July

I’d probably guess they just show older movies and what was available before the pandemic. I know the avenger movies was mentioned. Either way they can’t have big groups anyway, So it’s probably a good thing there’s no new movies cause they wouldn’t make any money. We have a ton of chain theaters in Texas so it wouldn’t be just AMC.

It’s also worth mentioning that not all chains are opening AMC being the biggest one not opening until Tenet. And Cinemark is also saying they aren’t going to open (even being Texas based). Some of the smaller recliner/restaurant places are also remaining closed. Moviehouse, iPic and Alamo drafthouse to mention a few. Unsure about Studio Movie Grill. So that leaves... ?
So even though they could be open, they aren’t going to be open.

Hopefully this pushes them to start their training and rehiring though. It will be interesting to see how manageable it will be. I wouldn’t think it’d be challenging. I’m guessing every theater will shift to assigned seats for a while and select seats online like many currently do. 25% capacity is a really good small test study on how others will reopen; so I like the move.

Edit: I would hope AMC and others open at least a couple weeks before Tenet to “soft open”.

Last edited:
If you have a problem with the masks, you should have the same issue with cutlery, napkins and cups.

The big problem with most masks is that people don't seem to realise that for them to work in a theme park, they're there to protect everyone else, not you. If you have the virus, it stops you spreading it, it will do a poor job of stopping you getting it.

It only works if everybody wears them.
The masks work both ways. Obviously, they're to protect people from the virus, but they also help you from accidentally ingesting droplets or things like that. It also helps with the little touches to our face we sometimes do without thinking. Without wearing a mask, you could be giving yourself coronavirus from hand-to-mouth. With a mask on, it's covering your Mouth and nose, so if you go to touch your face, there will be a protective barrier already in place.

And yes, it does only truly work if everyone is wearing one, but you're still safer with one on either way. Especially since you can be asymptomatic with the virus, you may be a carrier and never know it. Wearing a mask stops super spreaders.
Not really,.

The kind of masks that the parks will probably be giving out will not stop you breathing in droplets if they're in the air or on the mask. The best defence is to stop droplets getting out into the air and if you have the virus, the mask should stop that. The best way to show this, is to put some fabric (A t shirt that is folded back 3x on itself, should be similar to most masks) in front of your face and try and blow out a candle. It should be significantly more difficult, this is how the masks stops people spreading droplets but if the same fabric were to get wet, it will soak through along with the virus and then you're breathing it.

I think that people will be touching their face more than normal with constant readjustments to their masks if they're going to be one size fits all.

This also doesn't include a false kind of security that people will feel with a mask on thinking that they're more protected than normal.

I'm not saying this to scare anybody, it's just the reality of the situation.

Correct and proper mask usage is going to be key to having the parks operate as safely as possible and it's going to have to be reinforced constantly. Signs up, audio announcements and pop ups every time you go into the park app.

it protects at least 70% and it is definitely much safer than going to places without anything. even a t shirt protects 20%
you literally have a barrier between your nose and the bad air, how can it Not protect? i wish the WHO never lied about this.
if anything people should be wearing one of this as well in combination

tmqqavL.png

remember the triangle of safety

QaLfPfT.png

Reactions: Teebin
Status
Not open for further replies.