Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 107 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i meant while ordering and stuff

im almost certain the parks will be “mobile ordering” only for a while

My concern is how long they can go like this. Disney and Universal are massive companies to be sure but there comes a breaking point with no revenue coming in, even with efforts to minimize that impact...

Universal probably could hold out longer, just by the virtue of being owned by Comcast

Why would people expect masks provided by UO not to be washed and cleaned?

If you have a problem with the masks, you should have the same issue with cutlery, napkins and cups.

The big problem with most masks is that people don't seem to realise that for them to work in a theme park, they're there to protect everyone else, not you. If you have the virus, it stops you spreading it, it will do a poor job of stopping you getting it.

It only works if everybody wears them.

Yeah all the people who complain about Comcast ownership have to be quiet after this. Without Comcast Universal might not have made it out of this.

I remember being one of the few proponents of Comcast buying the parks back in the day. The company gives the parks financial security they almost never had. Hell Comcast is still going full bore on a third park in the middle of an economic downturn with no one having any idea how long it could last. That’s incredibly exciting

I remember being one of the few proponents of Comcast buying the parks back in the day. The company gives the parks financial security they almost never had. Hell Comcast is still going full bore on a third park in the middle of an economic downturn with no one having any idea how long it could last. That’s incredibly exciting
Yep. Hate their customer service side all you want, but they are the best thing to happen to the parks.

If you have a problem with the masks, you should have the same issue with cutlery, napkins and cups.

The big problem with most masks is that people don't seem to realise that for them to work in a theme park, they're there to protect everyone else, not you. If you have the virus, it stops you spreading it, it will do a poor job of stopping you getting it.

It only works if everybody wears them.
The masks work both ways. Obviously, they're to protect people from the virus, but they also help you from accidentally ingesting droplets or things like that. It also helps with the little touches to our face we sometimes do without thinking. Without wearing a mask, you could be giving yourself coronavirus from hand-to-mouth. With a mask on, it's covering your Mouth and nose, so if you go to touch your face, there will be a protective barrier already in place.

And yes, it does only truly work if everyone is wearing one, but you're still safer with one on either way. Especially since you can be asymptomatic with the virus, you may be a carrier and never know it. Wearing a mask stops super spreaders.

Reactions: Journey_On
The masks work both ways. Obviously, they're to protect people from the virus, but they also help you from accidentally ingesting droplets or things like that. It also helps with the little touches to our face we sometimes do without thinking. Without wearing a mask, you could be giving yourself coronavirus from hand-to-mouth. With a mask on, it's covering your Mouth and nose, so if you go to touch your face, there will be a protective barrier already in place.

And yes, it does only truly work if everyone is wearing one, but you're still safer with one on either way. Especially since you can be asymptomatic with the virus, you may be a carrier and never know it. Wearing a mask stops super spreaders.

Not really,.

The kind of masks that the parks will probably be giving out will not stop you breathing in droplets if they're in the air or on the mask. The best defence is to stop droplets getting out into the air and if you have the virus, the mask should stop that. The best way to show this, is to put some fabric (A t shirt that is folded back 3x on itself, should be similar to most masks) in front of your face and try and blow out a candle. It should be significantly more difficult, this is how the masks stops people spreading droplets but if the same fabric were to get wet, it will soak through along with the virus and then you're breathing it.

I think that people will be touching their face more than normal with constant readjustments to their masks if they're going to be one size fits all.

This also doesn't include a false kind of security that people will feel with a mask on thinking that they're more protected than normal.

I'm not saying this to scare anybody, it's just the reality of the situation.

Correct and proper mask usage is going to be key to having the parks operate as safely as possible and it's going to have to be reinforced constantly. Signs up, audio announcements and pop ups every time you go into the park app.

How would you (and the public) react if when the parks reopen, the visits are scheduled in blocks. For example, many rentals up in Cape Cod are check in on Sunday, check out on Saturday. Could WDW or Universal try to use some strategy like this to have a better idea of who's coming and going from the resort?

I'll use Cabana Bay as the example here:

Week 1: The left side of the resort (Continental/Americana) is open to guests, as well as the food court (mobile order), main lobby, etc.
Week 2: The right side of the resort is open to guests, as well as the food court, main lobby, etc. Meanwhile, the cleaning crews have a full week (or however many days the window is) to sanitize the left side of the hotel for Week 3's guests.

I'm sure there's many holes in this idea, so tweak as you all might see fit. One big problem that I see is length of stay. While some find value in an entire week at Universal, others may only see the value in 2/3/4 days. Perhaps each hotel represents a different length of stay? Or certain weeks are available as week long only stays while others are split into half week stays?

ie. June 7-13 may only be booked as a full week stay, but June 14-20 is split into two windows (June 14-17 and June 18-20).

At check-in, each incoming guest could be checked for temperature or whatever other metric that they use for sickness (at one of the unused hotel areas (Saphire Convention area?), sign any waivers needed, then make their way to their respective hotel. I think this idea minimizes the chance of day ticket guests coming from outside locations, and allows for things to operate a bit more smoothly within the actual parks.

The only outside "influence" would be employees, who could be tested each day at the start of their shift.

How would you (and the public) react if when the parks reopen, the visits are scheduled in blocks. For example, many rentals up in Cape Cod are check in on Sunday, check out on Saturday. Could WDW or Universal try to use some strategy like this to have a better idea of who's coming and going from the resort?

Week 1: The left side of the resort (Continental/Americana) is open to guests, as well as the food court (mobile order), main lobby, etc.
Week 2: The right side of the resort is open to guests, as well as the food court, main lobby, etc. Meanwhile, the cleaning crews have a full week (or however many days the window is) to sanitize the left side of the hotel for Week 3's guests.

I'm sure there's many holes in this idea, so tweak as you all might see fit. One big problem that I see is length of stay. While some find value in an entire week at Universal, others may only see the value in 2/3/4 days. Perhaps each hotel represents a different length of stay? Or certain weeks are available as week long only stays while others are split into half week stays?

ie. June 7-13 may only be booked as a full week stay, but June 14-20 is split into two windows (June 14-17 and June 18-20).

At check-in, each incoming guest could be checked for temperature or whatever other metric that they use for sickness (at one of the unused hotel areas (Saphire Convention area?), sign any waivers needed, then make their way to their respective hotel. I think this idea minimizes the chance of day ticket guests coming from outside locations, and allows for things to operate a bit more smoothly within the actual parks.

The only outside "influence" would be employees, who could be tested each day at the start of their shift.

Realistically, I don’t think that housekeeping can be an option during a guests stay. A thorough clean will needed between guests.

I know that Disney do security checks in rooms so I don’t know how that will be effected.

I don't see how this helps that much, and it creates more problems, namely:
1. It creates the risk of cruise-embarkation style crowds and chaos at the check in area,
2. It crushes demand by limiting dates, making profitability even harder, and
3. It doesn't account for already reserved hotels or APs.

Also, it's not good enough to just check temperatures on a guest's arrival day, and if you're talking about doing actual coronavirus tests daily for employees, that's simply not feasible.

If theme parks are to reopen this summer, we're going to have to accept that guests will get sick at them. It's simply not possible to remove that risk.

Obviously the parks will do what they reasonably can to reduce the risk, like temperature checks, masks, and capacity limitations, but people will still be spreading COVID-19 there.

I do, however, think that hotels will keep occupancy rates reduced to account for cleaning and quarantining needs.

Realistically, I don’t think that housekeeping can be an option during a guests stay. A thorough clean will needed between guests.

I know that Disney do security checks in rooms so I don’t know how that will be effected.
I agree on the housekeeping part. That’s why I’m suggesting that when the left side of the hotel is in use, the right side is where all the housekeeping crew is stationed to sanitize the rooms for the next weeks arrival.

Security checks will be tricky. Maybe there’s some kind of camera on wheels device that can be driven from room to room? Or they’ll come knocking in person but fully suited up for safety.
I don't see how this helps that much, and it creates more problems, namely:
1. It creates the risk of cruise-embarkation style crowds and chaos at the check in area,
2. It crushes demand by limiting dates, making profitability even harder, and
3. It doesn't account for already reserved hotels or APs.

Also, it's not good enough to just check temperatures on a guest's arrival day, and if you're talking about doing actual coronavirus tests daily for employees, that's simply not feasible.

1. I’d argue that the cruise embarking process is the positive. At CBBR, there’s around 2,200 rooms. Ballparking some numbers, let’s say 1,000 are in operation each week. Split those rooms into check-in windows, so that maybe 250 families are checking in at a given time. One wave can check in at 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm (or whatever the math checks out to be). With no need for the main parking garages, maybe you use some of those coveted levels as check in areas, and not just the convention center.

2. Everything is already trending towards reservation systems to begin with, especially at WDW. With tickets, they want to know the exact dates your plan to start using them, MDE gives them an inside look to understand guest flow in regards to which restaurants/parks will be busy at what times, and so on.

3. I agree with you on this point, it’s probably near impossible to implement this without really screwing with already booked vacations.

4. Employee checks would not be the tube up the nose style ones that are currently used. They’re starting to see breakthroughs with saliva tests where you just spit into a tube. I’m sure the turnaround time isn’t quick enough for that yet, but there’s plenty of scientists working on new methods at the moment.

I know my idea is very far fetched and thought of on the fly, but I think whichever resort can come up with the best way to convince guests that “once you’re here you are safe” will be the one that sees the most substantial benefits.

Reactions: Scott W. and Teebin
I agree with your thoughts Bort. There will be some bizarre structure to how each resort is run for some time to come. It will involve forced distancing, reservations for reservations, on and on... It will be interesting to see how it begins and how it evolves. Testing of some, (guests/staff?) will be involved I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.