Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 193 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney is very different though. How many positions were held by CPs and will now have to be staffed with regular CMs. Even if they are running shorter days it will still probably stretch the FT & PT staffing at Disney just to cover all those.

Disney is very different though. How many positions were held by CPs and will now have to be staffed with regular CMs. Even if they are running shorter days it will still probably stretch the FT & PT staffing at Disney just to cover all those.
And international. You basically have half a park that needs to be staffed now that J-1s are gone.

Edit to add, technically those are college program too, but it’s easier to envision the impact.

Hearing the things coming out of it, and it's going to be..interesting to watch things more unfold properly.

All I'm going to say, is that I'm hoping those affected by it can get back up off their feet, and find means of employment sooner than later.
I’m hoping for the best, but with Canada and the EU most likely slapping us with travel restrictions for the foreseeable future, I really worry for the employment situation in the Orlando area

Tough situation for an area dependent on one industry. We experienced that in the Pittsburgh/Monongahela River Valley in the early 80's when we lost over 170,000 high paying steel industry jobs in a two year span, to unfair state subsidized foreign competition. Our youngest and brightest left the area for work, never to return. It took a couple of decades to turn it around. This might be a shorter pain since tourism at a high level 'might' return in a year or two. But the short term pain will be hard. There's no jobs there. People will leave to look for work, and that work will have to be in a different field, in all probability. And then the trickle down effect will hit all the service/hospitality sectors that rely on Disney/Universal tourism. Then housing prices will drop, as more people sell then there's replacement buyers. There's no way to put a positive spin on this. This is a bad sign.

Last edited:
For those getting laid off, it's seeming that some may be getting the ability to be known of it in advance, so they can transition to a new job without being just dumped off.

(Source: Patrick Kling)

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I suspect Universal will attempt to retain at least some of these people. Sometimes moves like this are driven more by structural changes and less by total cost reductions.

I've known a number of people who have been laid off and basically get a few weeks vacation before the severance period ends and then get rehired into a different part of a company.

Fingers crossed....

Reactions: Teebin
They will be able to go on unemployment. Universal paid their full time TMs through the whole closure so they would be just starting unemployment and not having to reapply. Of course the federal $600 a week ends in July.

Will these employees be able to go on any unemployment now. Had they been on unemployment prior?

Summer reservations must be looking really bad for this to happen?

Tragic.
Reports here and yesterday in the media that Ohio, West Virginia & western Pa. youth vacationing on east coast beaches have brought covid infections back with them when they returned. More specifically, Allegheny County Health Director yesterday said 50% of all positive tests are those returning from vacation. Haven't heard Florida mentioned yet, but these reports are bound to have some people questioning whether they should leave their states to go on vacation this summer.

They will be able to go on unemployment. Universal paid their full time TMs through the whole closure so they would be just starting unemployment and not having to reapply. Of course the federal $600 a week ends in July.
50% of their hours based on the month of March. So if you only worked like 30 hours....

Reports here and yesterday in the media that Ohio, West Virginia & western Pa. youth vacationing on east coast beaches have brought covid infections back with them when they returned. More specifically, Allegheny County Health Director yesterday said 50% of all positive tests are those returning from vacation. Haven't heard Florida mentioned yet, but these reports are bound to have some people questioning whether they should leave their states to go on vacation this summer.
Yep, W.VA. governor specifically warned people about coming to my town.

Tourist show up, turn on vacation brain, turn off logic. Social distancing is non existent here, locals are somewhat but not at all in the tourist areas.

• Sad
Reactions: Mad Dog
Any more news on the Feds creating a new $600.00 offset? This is going to get far nastier for the country in the coming months with seriously desperate people resorting to god knows what to survive.

McConnell has indicated his Senate will not take up the "final" stimulus package until the back half of July, in a move that's widely been interpreted as his and his colleagues' means of pressuring Democrats to work quickly on a deal (one that is not likely to include an additional $600/week).

• Angry
Reactions: Frogki and Teebin
Yep, W.VA. governor specifically warned people about coming to my town.

Tourist show up, turn on vacation brain, turn off logic. Social distancing is non existent here, locals are somewhat but not at all in the tourist areas.
Yeah, I didn't want to be the first to mention your resort. That said, Ohio governor just said the same. And, the Allegheny County (Pgh.) Health Director was questioned at Monday's press conference, but she said she didn't want to name the state resort areas. My guess though was Myrtle Beach & N. Carolina beaches, since that's the main resorts Pittsburgh area vacation people attend, besides WDW. But that's not open yet. The under 30's party crowd are really doing a disservice to this crisis. Nearly every state is saying the same, that the spike in cases is attributed to the youth, and the median age of infection has been reduced from the 70's to the 30's. The spike is really apolitical, since the youth generally doesn't vote, or votes in low percentages.

For those getting laid off, it's seeming that some may be getting the ability to be known of it in advance, so they can transition to a new job without being just dumped off.

(Source: Patrick Kling)

Jeff Shell is restructuring the entire company because too many redundant positions amongst the entire staff to include the parks department.

Status
Not open for further replies.