Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 191 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect that amount of cases will be much higher during the Halloween season than they are now. The combination of the weather cooling down and people getting increasingly getting tiered of social distancing will lead to a massive spike of cases in the fall.

HHN as people on here point out is where the parks make a ton of money. I'd rather them do it even if smaller and make some cash then not and still have a smaller budget next year.
We have zero idea if not year will be any better with the way hot spots keep popping up

While not for everyone, I will be soooo excited if I can go to HHN this year, something unique to take my mind off of the year. Plus the crowds will be low, so hopefully less lines or emptier mazes with less guests in them to make them less scary.

But i highly doubt if the event is cancelled that means a dime more goes to next years event, pretty sure the budget will be depending on how much they are projected to make per year.
Remember, the crowds will be low because lots and lots of people who want to be their won’t be able to attend. This really is a unique problem with HHN - because it is completely different every year and so time-limited, folks who are too vulnerable or vulnerable-adjacent simply miss out entirely if the event is held, rather then just having to wait a bit longer to experience something that will be their when it is safe to visit.

And as I’ve said, if one cluster gets traced back to the event and the media runs with it, the impact can stretch beyond 2020.

I would expect that amount of cases will be much higher during the Halloween season than they are now. The combination of the weather cooling down and people getting increasingly getting tiered of social distancing will lead to a massive spike of cases in the fall.
I get being tired of being in your house, but social distancing needs to continue (that doesn't mean you can't go out in pubic). I'm tired of being in my house and have been out way more lately than I probably should. But it's about adapting to this new normal at this point - i've sort of changed my mindset to that a bit. If we had a set date when we were 100% getting a vaccine, that would be one thing, but we don't. COVID isn't going away anytime soon so if we want to actually live our lives, we just have to be smart about it and wear masks, social distance, and be smart about where you go.

After a few months of basically staying in my house, my sister has had back-to-back AAU tournaments, i've had a dentist appointment (and took an Uber on my way back from said appointment) and last night we went out and ate at Friendly's on I-drive, which was surprisingly busy, but oddly FELT empty because of the tables they had marked off around us, so we felt good when our masks were down eating. At the same time, do I think it's time for theme parks to be open? not really. But i'd be a hypocrite to say we should be staying inside at all times.

Couple that with alcohol and you've got a pretty good stew going

Reactions: Mad Dog
Remember, the crowds will be low because lots and lots of people who want to be their won’t be able to attend. This really is a unique problem with HHN - because it is completely different every year and so time-limited, folks who are too vulnerable or vulnerable-adjacent simply miss out entirely if the event is held, rather then just having to wait a bit longer to experience something that will be their when it is safe to visit.

And as I’ve said, if one cluster gets traced back to the event and the media runs with it, the impact can stretch beyond 2020.
Maybe but we have no grantee that next year will be better.

So as long as they are being safe about it, then I say go for it

If Florida can't do that because of some locals then skip it there but sure over here in CA we will have less people fighting against the rules (yes a karen will shown up but around me at least all store I've gone into that require masks where them)

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
After a week away from home I can say the Florida spike seems to be sinking into the people's psyche. Mask wearing a week ago was less than more and now it in much more than less. We might get through this after all if most of the people wear the damn mask!
still gotta keep the kids from partying. That's where the bulk of cases seem to be coming from....ie: median age halved on those infected...they're not going to have masks on while they're drinking, vaping and whatever.

Reactions: JoeCamel
still gotta keep the kids from partying. That's where the bulk of cases seem to be coming from....ie: median age halved on those infected...they're not going to have masks on while they're drinking, vaping and whatever.

As someone living in a Florida college town, I can confirm very few students are wearing masks as recently as Friday. Lots of parties happening as well. Universities across the country will not survive in the fall :bolt:

• Sad
Reactions: rinacee and Mad Dog
I wonder if celebrities are enjoying the free time and being able to go out in public with a mask on and blend in.
I won’t name who it is, but a fairly high profile celebrity has been around Orlando as their significant other lives here. They’ve just been wearing an N95 mask (so you really can’t see who it is) and a hat. Just hanging out doing regular people stuff.

So I’m sure there are plenty of other celebs doing the same.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I won’t name who it is, but a fairly high profile celebrity has been around Orlando as their significant other lives here. They’ve just been wearing an N95 mask (so you really can’t see who it is) and a hat. Just hanging out doing regular people stuff.

I didn't know @Teebin wore a hat

Last edited:

Leo is doing it :lol: (albeit with his mask under his nose):

29881430-8444715-image-a-34_1592752528841.jpg

Reactions: Mad Dog

Weirdly, I think I know who you're talking about.

Whether you like it or not, here is the cold, harsh reality of enforcing mask-wearing:

There will be a lot of people going to theme parks (Mainly in Orlando) that will be out-of-state (and country) tourists. After being in lockdown for months, they're going to grow tired of restrictions. It has been clearly evidenced in the opening of Sea World Orlando and even in Universal Orlando as you will see many guests either not wearing their masks or not wearing them the way they're meant to be worn. The hot and humid weather will only exacerbate the issue as people will have a hard time breathing after an hour or so (If that!). Theoretically, they could strictly enforce the policy by having cast members crack down hard on mask-wearing and social distancing, but when all of the people that refuse to wear a mask/social distance are your paying customers, are you going to berate your customers that will gladly open up their wallets to buy a meal, a churro, or a beer? If you piss them off, they will leave. If enough people feel frustrated and leave from the restrictions the parks put in, they're losing money. And when the parks lose money, guess who they're going to sympathize with more? Frankly, I don't see the Covid measures being put in place come HHN, if not sooner.

I think you will also see this in SoCal as the parks opening up there will be opening a month later. More people are going to grow tired of the restrictions and they won't be keen on being yelled at to social distance or wear a mask. Even with the mask order Newsom put in place, I see many people not wearing a mask as I walk in the streets. Even when I walked around the Irvine Spectrum Center a couple of weeks ago, half the people I saw either had their masks down, or weren't wearing them at all.

Another thing to consider is that if people are really concerned about Covid (And I mean, REALLY feel concerned about Covid), do you think many of those individuals are going to go to a theme park? If the people that do feel this way (I'm including the theme park fanatics here) do go to a park and don't feel safe and end up leaving, guess who's left? The people that won't adhere to the restrictions and spend money.

So for better or for worse, I just don't see the parks enforcing the restrictions. Even if they do, I can tell you, they won't last long.

Last edited:
Whether you like it or not, here is the cold, harsh reality of enforcing mask-wearing:

There will be a lot of people going to theme parks (Mainly in Orlando) that will be out-of-state (and country) tourists. After being in lockdown for months, they're going to grow tired of restrictions. It has been clearly evidenced in the opening of Sea World Orlando and even in Universal Orlando as you will see many guests either not wearing their masks or not wearing them the way they're meant to be worn. The hot and humid weather will only exacerbate the issue as people will have a hard time breathing after an hour or so (If that!). Theoretically, they could strictly enforce the policy by having cast members crack down hard on mask-wearing and social distancing, but when all of the people that refuse to wear a mask/social distance are your paying customers, are you going to berate your customers that will gladly open up their wallets to buy a meal, a churro, or a beer? If you piss them off, they will leave. If enough people feel frustrated and leave from the restrictions the parks put in, they're losing money. And when the parks lose money, guess who they're going to sympathize with more? Frankly, I don't see the Covid measures being put in place come HHN, if not sooner.

I think you will also see this in SoCal as the parks opening up there will be opening a month later. More people are going to grow tired of the restrictions and they won't be keen on being yelled at to social distance or wear a mask. Even with the mask order Newsom put in place, I see many people not wearing a mask as I walk in the streets. Even when I walked around the Irvine Spectrum Center a couple of weeks ago, half the people I saw either had their masks down, or weren't wearing them at all.

Another thing to consider is that if people are really concerned about Covid (And I mean, REALLY feel concerned about Covid), do you think many of those individuals are going to go to a theme park? If the people that do feel this way (I'm including the theme park fanatics here) do go to a park and don't feel safe and end up leaving, guess who's left? The people that won't adhere to the restrictions and spend money.

So for better or for worse, I just don't see the parks enforcing the restrictions. Even if they do, I can tell you, they won't last long.

Here's how I see it. Universal can come down hard on people not wearing a mask. There's signs up every where in the parks and it's plastered all over their app, website and social media. You can't play dumb and say you didn't know.

I googled “wife lives in Orlando” and got nothing so I’m still clueless.

Edit: didn’t realize it said significant other.

Edit 2: “husband lives in Orlando” didn’t get me any closer.

I'm not sure exactly who the person was but they were a wrestler and posted a photo in front of the Universal globe with a mask and their girlfriend. Plenty of people were commenting that they would have never guessed who they were. I think they also mentioned that they were enjoying the freedom to roam the parks.
If the people get removed from the park for not wearing a mask and cause up a stink, that's a small amount of monetary loss and bad PR and but can easily be fought with the common sense argument. Horrendous PR would be people not wearing masks and having a large COVID breakout traced back to the parks.

If people are unsure about visiting the parks, seeing Universal fighting back against people refusing to wear a mask could result in more people feeling safe enough to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.