Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So to summarize, in the last few days, Apple has closed many of its Florida stores, MLB teams have started to move out of state after several players have tested positive, MNSSHP has been cancelled, and cruises have been cancelled until mid September. Over the last two weeks cases in Orange County have increased 650%.

I’m pretty convinced WDW will delay reopening next week. And I still think there is a decent chance Uni has to move back towards closure in the next month.
If i'm Disney, I look at this and see that Cast previews are on July 7th. They have two weeks basically to look at where things are going. Maybe cases start to go down over the next few weeks? If that happens, I think they stick to it. If cases continue to go up though, I think it's inevitable that they move their date.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So to summarize, in the last few days, Apple has closed many of its Florida stores, MLB teams have started to move out of state after several players have tested positive, MNSSHP has been cancelled, and cruises have been cancelled until mid September. Over the last two weeks cases in Orange County have increased 650%.

I’m pretty convinced WDW will delay reopening next week. And I still think there is a decent chance Uni has to move back towards closure in the next month.
As someone who quite frankly didn’t understand or support the early opening, and still don’t really, from what I’ve seen on vlogs and read it seems Universal is really doing pretty much everything they can, so I appreciate that and am pleasantly surprised.

I think the worlds circumstances will not allow them to operate for much longer. I don’t see how Florida has a quick turn around here unfortunately. I’m worried about the parks for the rest of 2020 if I’m being honest I hate to say it but I just am.

I heard an interview on CNBC today that the Covid-19 spikes have really gotten worse in Fl. They interviewed a restaurant owner who has decided to shut down again. I am no more happy about this than anybody else, but I can't ignore the distinct possibility that another shut down could occur.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I think there's three major factors (with a possible fourth) that will influence what DeSantis does.
- Orange/Osceola County (Orlando)
- Miami-Dade County (Miami)
- Beaches

Those are the three major driving tourism sectors in the state. If Miami-Dade county starts shutting down and Orange/Osceola county start shutting down then DeSantis has to take notice as that's cutting off most tourism. But he still has the beaches to fall back on if they aren't closing up shop. If most places are, then the fourth thing comes into play:

Will the NBA or MLS pull out of playing at Disney? If so, that will be such big news that I think DeSantis will almost be forced to do SOMETHING. What? I don't know. It took him forever to act last time, I don't expect him to act swiftly this time.

I don't think there is a chance of another lockdown. I do think you will see business requiring masks for entry and distancing procedures to be followed.
I do think we may see local or statewide lockdowns.

And OC mandated masks today, I think.

Look, this is all bad and unpleasant. It’s big-H History, the kind that gets full chapters in textbooks, and living through History is always disorienting and challenging. For a generation, it’s the first History they’ve lived through, which makes it even worse. The only thing we can do is to save as many lives as possible and find workable solutions quickly. I really, REALLY want to go back to a theme park, but that just isn’t feasible now or in the foreseeable future. Stupid History.

If i'm Disney, I look at this and see that Cast previews are on July 7th. They have two weeks basically to look at where things are going. Maybe cases start to go down over the next few weeks? If that happens, I think they stick to it. If cases continue to go up though, I think it's inevitable that they move their date.

Thing that I feel folks seem to forget is that Disney has parks in a few different Countries, they get a better feel for what is working due to other cultures that are included in their base. I feel they've probably had a better look at this than any other entertainment group in the US.

I do not think they make their decissions based solely on FL, but I also would never understand how they ramp up w/o Airlines getting back to capacity.

Thing that I feel folks seem to forget is that Disney has parks in a few different Countries, they get a better feel for what is working due to other cultures that are included in their base. I feel they've probably had a better look at this than any other entertainment group in the US.

I do not think they make their decissions based solely on FL, but I also would never understand how they ramp up w/o Airlines getting back to capacity.
Obviously in park operational decisions are probably influenced a lot by what's working at SHDL, but as far as actually opening the park, that's where they need to look at Florida. If cases are STILL rising a few weeks from now, there's no way you can open a theme park when businesses around you are closing due to health concerns due to COVID. The amount of bad press Disney would get wouldn't be worth it, nor would the risk be.

Obviously in park operational decisions are probably influenced a lot by what's working at SHDL, but as far as actually opening the park, that's where they need to look at Florida. If cases are STILL rising a few weeks from now, there's no way you can open a theme park when businesses around you are closing due to health concerns due to COVID. The amount of bad press Disney would get wouldn't be worth it, nor would the risk be.

very fair, but in times like this, companies need to innovate.

So a place like Disney could certainly get something going at Epcot that could handle crowds but cater more to the immediate area, I would think they could get people out in that sort of sense.

Anyway, I do not know what the answers are, I do know that other countries are better at 'clean zones (mostly due to a lack of civil liberties) but I assume WDW is trying to mimic a 'safe zone' of sorts (as best they can) and maybe it happens differently than any of us would imagine.

very fair, but in times like this, companies need to innovate.

So a place like Disney could certainly get something going at Epcot that could handle crowds but cater more to the immediate area, I would think they could get people out in that sort of sense.

Anyway, I do not know what the answers are, I do know that other countries are better at 'clean zones (mostly due to a lack of civil liberties) but I assume WDW is trying to mimic a 'safe zone' of sorts (as best they can) and maybe it happens differently than any of us would imagine.
Well currently, Disney IS planning on doing something to draw locals at Epcot since F&W is starting immediately upon opening July 15th.

went out for a ride this AM. Not sure when I'll ever get around to checking out the area (it is odd moving during this, not knowing what 'normal' even was save we have visited the area many times).

It has been many years since I traveled US-192. I passed a Denny's that had two vendor tents set up out front with a table under each. I was heading to chick fil a to grab breakfast for the family, seems they do not open until 7:30...silly me not to check before heading out.

I guess it started to sync in just how many in Central FL must rely on tourism, I believe I was near Margaritaville (if Island H2O is their water park name).

The few times I venture out in SFL, I felt like the roads were a free for all in that things like speed limits/stop signs did not matter to people. During my venture here this AM, I saw someone stopped by Law Enforcement on my way out and again on my way home (possibly the same officer covering a small area).

Different times.

Reactions: Coasted
Remember when they didn't wear makeup for like a week and Tweeted about it?

Not all heroes wear capes
I recall reading an article by a Entertainment Agent about beautiful actresses. He said that the true Hollywood magic was turning a plain looking girl from the midwest, dreaming to be an actress , and using professionals in make up and hairstyling , thus transforming her into a beautiful actress. Seeing many of the actresses on Zoom in the morning, sans makeup and pretty hair, really affirms that in most cases. :) :lol:

Reactions: shiekra38

I know Universal is putting on a good outward appearance for guests compared to SeaWorld, but I still can't help but wonder how long they can truly keep going at this rate. I keep hearing more and more about TMs potentially getting sick. On top of that, anyone who spends more than 10 minutes or so with a TM even showing symptoms gets sent home from what I've been hearing. Not to mention how short-staffed they already are. I'm just really curious to see how this all plays out at this point.

Local Best Buy just closed due to COVID cases. They’re cleaning this weekend. Winter Garden for Orlando locals.

Lots of local restaurants in the Winter Park/Downtown Orlando/Longwood/Altamonte areas have been shutting down over the past few days as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.