Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Yeah, too far/soon I guess. I'm as worried about this as everyone else is, was just trying to use humor to help myself/others cope.

Last edited:
The frustrating aspect of the reaction to the virus for me is the often ‘calming’ reassurance that it’s ‘only’ people with underlying medical issues that will potentially have severe complications...but who doesn’t know someone that falls within this category? I feel like the information out there about what kinds of medical issues are being impacted most would be valuable information right now. That’s what’s spreading the fear. The virus has been around 2 months now, and there’s are likely over 100k cases...I feel like some of these questions should be answered by now.

The frustrating aspect of the reaction to the virus for me is the often ‘calming’ reassurance that it’s ‘only’ people with underlying medical issues that will potentially have severe complications...but who doesn’t know someone that falls within this category? I feel like the information out there about what kinds of medical issues are being impacted most would be valuable information right now. That’s what’s spreading the fear. The virus has been around 2 months now, and there’s are likely over 100k cases...I feel like some of these questions should be answered by now.

This is my worry. I was in hospital a few months ago with a nasty chest infection mixed with my asthma. I still think the odds are in my favour as I'm far healthier now than I was but my wife works in A&E as a nurse and if things continue to climb at an alarming rate, I could easily see me catching it and I fear that I pass it onto my parents who are in their late 60s.

Realistically, I think it's not as bad it seems and seeing things constantly in the news and social media isn't helping any anxiety. Hopefully in a few months it will be a distant memory as we claim back control.

I've looked at my travel insurance and it seems like I'm more than covered in the situation that the parks close and I decide not to travel.

Press conference today mentioned elderly, pre-existing conditions mentioned were diabetes and respiratory problems. Also mentioned Obesity being a large factor due to difficulty of breath. The latter will certainly be more unique to the US than the countries and cases we’ve seen so far.

In personal travel news; tonight I went ahead and cancelled my big trip for the year. A total of 15 flights across 11 countries (incl Italy and Korea) was just too much risk and potential for catastrophe. Especially with kids in tow. And I didn’t want the “what if” of not only the quarantines/restrictions, but the potential risk of infection as well.
I still went ahead and threw together a small trip to London/Paris/Amsterdam two weeks from now. Obviously keeping an eye on those areas, so can/will cancel if needed.

That would be the entirety of their international parks.

Do we have a way to know what attendance was like in Tokyo prior to them closing it? Was it way down?

I'd be curious about Paris too. If attendance is way down anyway, closing it wouldn't be as big of a loss.

With both Paris and Tokyo being more of a "locals park", I'm curious if people were self-regulating to not go there already in Tokyo's case.

Attendance at TDR was pretty usual for the off season. The three day weekend before the close had pretty big crowds though. I think if they hadn’t closed it it would have been pretty busy since kids just finished end of the year tests and schools are closed across the country now. So it was kind of necessary that they closed it I feel.

Press conference today mentioned elderly, pre-existing conditions mentioned were diabetes and respiratory problems. Also mentioned Obesity being a large factor due to difficulty of breath. The latter will certainly be more unique to the US than the countries and cases we’ve seen so far.

In personal travel news; tonight I went ahead and cancelled my big trip for the year. A total of 15 flights across 11 countries (incl Italy and Korea) was just too much risk and potential for catastrophe. Especially with kids in tow. And I didn’t want the “what if” of not only the quarantines/restrictions, but the potential risk of infection as well.
I still went ahead and threw together a small trip to London/Paris/Amsterdam two weeks from now. Obviously keeping an eye on those areas, so can/will cancel if needed.
wise move :thumbsup: just too many risky areas on that world trip

Reactions: Andysol
Most people are just trying to make it day to day and the stock market tanks
wise move :thumbsup: just too many risky areas on that world trip
I would guarantee the stock he buys in the downturn instead of spending money would be worth more than the trip would cost in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
This will certainly impact spring break tourism in Orlando.

The hotel and airline industries are going to suffer heavy. And especially the cruises. They can withstand a month; but this thing prolonging is going to take some out.

Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong airline), for example, has 120 of its 200 airplanes grounded at any time. This is from an airline (a great one, too; highly recommended) that was already hurting bad from the protests. I’m starting to think they actually might not be able to recover.
And Hong Kong has done absolutely incredible with containing corona. They were ground floor beginning stages next door to guangdong where the 2nd most cases occurred outside of Wuhan and they’ve had less than 100 cases and not had any increases in weeks it seems. Meanwhile in Italy, S Korea, and Iran...

If Hong Kong brought back their crazy promotion from years ago of $1k for first class, I’d book it tomorrow. There might be some really good deals out there on the horizon, so that’s some lemonade in a bad situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeCamel
4 days ago - CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million fluillnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu. Interim estimates of 2019-2020flu vaccine effectiveness were released last week.

32,000,000 – 45,000,000
flu illnesses

person coughing icon

14,000,000 – 21,000,000
flu medical visits

doctor patient icon

310,000 – 560,000
flu hospitalizations

hospital room icon

18,000 – 46,000
flu deaths

flu virus icon

Seems the flu is a lot worse.

The problem with COVID is the unknowing spread of it, and how seemingly contagious it is. With the flu, you feel that tickle in your throat, or a few more sniffles than normal, and you know something's up - allowing you to adjust who you interact with. With COVID, you can not show any symptoms for 2 weeks, if at all, and spread it to people who aren't healthy enough to handle it.

Take this with a mine of salt but someone on another board says there is potentially 2 cases in Dr. Phillips and One in Lake Mary... something to do with a hospital in Orlando ....

Just the messenger don't shoot me

I am blanking giddy that the prices for cruise may be drastically discounted may move an Alaska cruise to late this summer instead of next year.

I'm FDR on this

Wait times have been a bit sparse this afternoon when I checked the Disney app. Outside of the new Mickey ride...HS rides seemed lower than normal for a weekday (especially with current college spring breaks), Avatar was only at 80 min, Kilimanjaro at 45....

Could be nothing, but maybe some people cancelled trips? I remember this week in past years being a madhouse most days.

Status
Not open for further replies.