Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost like they're theme park fan sites or something
Now, if Walmart could only do a better job on dressing some of their customers..... :lol: ;).....back to Equity layoffs. I guess Equity is saying 720 of the 780 on Disney's payroll are being laid off. 60 Equity employees
through 4 parks sure doesn't stretch very far. And it seems like they'll only have the right of recall through the end of 2021 according to what I've read on Disney forums. Those forums are, understandably, very abuzz over this.
Rumors have four shows surviving, and one of them is Savi's. 60 isn't a stretch.

I'm honestly surprised there were only 780 equity performers to begin with, though maybe I just don't understamd what roles do and do not fall under Equity.
Next week it seems like some of the quasi actor/charactor/dancers etc. types, that aren't Equity, will be getting axed too. Yeah, I think the rules get kind of murky. Example; I remember back when Johnny Carson was doing
the Tonight Show. It was pointed out often that if they went into the studio audience and had a audience member that spoke they had to pay him/her equity scale, which was a few
hundred dollars at the time. I don't know if that's still in effect, but it shows how the gray areas pop up. I guess you'd have to see the actual contract to make a real determination. With off days, vacations, and dual shifts those
60 left aren't going to be that many on a daily basis, especially with the longer holiday hours. .

Next week it seems like some of the quasi actor/charactor/dancers etc. types, that aren't Equity, will be getting axed too. Yeah, I think the rules get kind of murky. Example; I remember back when Johnny Carson was doing
the Tonight Show. It was pointed out often that if they went into the studio audience and had a audience member that spoke they had to pay him/her equity scale, which was a few
hundred dollars at the time. I don't know if that's still in effect, but it shows how the gray areas pop up. I guess you'd have to see the actual contract to make a real determination. With off days, vacations, and dual shifts those
60 left aren't going to be that many on a daily basis, especially with the longer holiday hours. .
If you have a speaking, singing, puppetry, stunt role, etc as an actor, you are almost always at equity level. If you are a fur, look-a-like, or parade dancer, you probably aren't.

I just don't see it. When the crowds come back, and they will, they're going to need stuff to do. And not having these shows just isn't gonna cut it. And Hoop rakes in the cash in a way that kind of show won't. I'm cynical about park leadership, but I just don't think they'll be able to get away with it. Not after all this

I think shows they can market as discrete, standalone attractions come back - Finding Nemo The Musical will return or be replaced with a similar caliber show. (More likely it'll just be the same thing because no one's going to want to spend more $$ to develop a new show.) Any profitable enterprise like Hoop will also come back.

What I think stays permanently gone are the streetmosphere characters that cannot readily be marketed. Citizens of Hollywood, a bulk of the World Showcase performers, that sort of thing. Cheaper and easier to just bring out the foam heads.

I think shows they can market as discrete, standalone attractions come back - Finding Nemo The Musical will return or be replaced with a similar caliber show. (More likely it'll just be the same thing because no one's going to want to spend more $$ to develop a new show.) Any profitable enterprise like Hoop will also come back.

What I think stays permanently gone are the streetmosphere characters that cannot readily be marketed. Citizens of Hollywood, a bulk of the World Showcase performers, that sort of thing. Cheaper and easier to just bring out the foam heads.
Oh sure. That I’ll agree with. They’ve been getting rid of that kind of stuff for years

Ooof-- just heard that one of the stats Six Flags gave on the investor call yesterday was they lost 50% of their season pass/membership holders. It's understandable since the lockdown began just as their season was about to start, and they had 9 parks that never opened, but that's huge since the SP market is a big part of their business.

Ooof-- just heard that one of the stats Six Flags gave on the investor call yesterday was they lost 50% of their season pass/membership holders. It's understandable since the lockdown began just as their season was about to start, and they had 9 parks that never opened, but that's huge since the SP market is a big part of their business.
I'm sure that '21 will be better in that regard. Most people buy 6Flags, CF Season Passes in April or so. And in '20 that was just as the pandemic hit and everything closed down. So yeah, no one bought them this year.

Oh, and DLP will be closed for way longer than 4 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm sure that '21 will be better in that regard. Most people buy 6Flags, CF Season Passes in April or so. And in '20 that was just as the pandemic hit and everything closed down. So yeah, no one bought them this year.

Oh, and DLP will be closed for way longer than 4 weeks.

I'm very surprised they put a date on the reopening already. Seems like the park probably wasn't doing too well while it was open for a few months anyway so they're deciding to shutter until things are a little more under control (hopefully) next year.

Reading Comcast’s earning report, the parks are bleeding money. However, there is a saving grace for NBCUniversal with Trolls World Tour being a success, Peacock adding 12 million subs, and the cable/broadband extremely over performing estimates.

however the parks only making a revenue of 311 million is a huge shock.

Reading Comcast’s earning report, the parks are bleeding money. However, there is a saving grace for NBCUniversal with Trolls World Tour being a success, Peacock adding 12 million subs, and the cable/broadband extremely over performing estimates.

however the parks only making a revenue of 311 million is a huge shock.
While that's not bad per say for Peacock, how many of those Peacock accounts are Peacock Premium is what I wonder. I have a Peacock account, but it's pretty much the last streaming service I turn to, and it's free. I enjoy the SNL channel and some of the stuff like that, but aside from that, I find little value in it right now and am absolutely not willing to pay for Premium until the Fresh Prince series hits.

While that's not bad per say for Peacock, how many of those Peacock accounts are Peacock Premium is what I wonder. I have a Peacock account, but it's pretty much the last streaming service I turn to, and it's free. I enjoy the SNL channel and some of the stuff like that, but aside from that, I find little value in it right now and am absolutely not willing to pay for Premium until the Fresh Prince series hits.

That's actually really bad user acquisition when you consider that everyone with an Xfinity subscription of any type gets the middle tier Peacock for free.

Gotta disagree with you on that one, at least for spooky season, Peacock has the best lineup of horror movies out of all the services

Gotta disagree with you on that one, at least for spooky season, Peacock has the best lineup of horror movies out of all the services
Well, I mean, I watched Bride of Frankenstein on there on free Peacock, but like, I just use it incredibly rarely. To me Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon are my Top 4 and basically only streaming services that I use. I have Hulu + Live TV, so I probably use Hulu the most out of all of them.

Well, I mean, I watched Bride of Frankenstein on there on free Peacock, but like, I just use it incredibly rarely. To me Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon are my Top 4 and basically only streaming services that I use. I have Hulu + Live TV, so I probably use Hulu the most out of all of them.
I pick and choose depending on the month. Haven't had D+ since Mandalorian ended last year. The only one I constantly have is Netflix.

Superstore for me on Peacock is really fun imo. Unless I'm getting confused and watching it on Hulu but I'm 99% positive its Peacock. I think that also the game shows on their are fun. Weakest Link is a nostalgia trip, The Voice I may try again, just need The Good Place. There TV catalog will only improve when they get more of their originals back so Peacock has tons of potential imo.

Ive heard The Amber Ruffin show is good too, like her a lot on Seth Meyers and would prefer her on SNL but I plan on checking this out too.

I pick and choose depending on the month. Haven't had D+ since Mandalorian ended last year. The only one I constantly have is Netflix.
I got the 3 year/$150 deal (which comes out to $4.16 per month). Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have had it as long either.

Comcast Q3 Earnings are out, parks down 80.9%. Better than last quarter's 94.1% (now that most of the parks have reopened). Surprisingly, they claim parks division should break even, if not better, in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.