Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Looks like a classy -- but also very surface-level -- exhibit, even with the IP tie-in.

Not thrilled that it's been used as an excuse to remove several of the beautiful pieces of artwork (crafted by some pretty iconic Imagineers) and a few of the quotes, though. Apparently one of Walt Disney's quotes is among the axed.

Slippery slope here, but considering Walt's rumored views on things and today's cancel culture, removing some of his quotes is probably the least of the concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see efforts by some to remove Walt from the parks completely.

• Haha
Reactions: WAJAS
Slippery slope here, but considering Walt's rumored views on things and today's cancel culture, removing some of his quotes is probably the least of the concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see efforts by some to remove Walt from the parks completely.

Come on now.

Absolutely right, Disney has tweaked Walt's image to the point that he was a saint who walked among us, when in reality he was far from that. But that's showbiz- project the image you want them to see, not reality. He built a whole empire on that.

In the mean time (back to the topic at hand) EPCOT keeps getting pulled further and further from Walt's vision of it, and even the interpretation of it made in the late 70's/early 80's.

Absolutely right, Disney has tweaked Walt's image to the point that he was a saint who walked among us, when in reality he was far from that. But that's showbiz- project the image you want them to see, not reality. He built a whole empire on that.

In the mean time (back to the topic at hand) EPCOT keeps getting pulled further and further from Walt's vision of it, and even the interpretation of it made in the late 70's/early 80's.
Walt's idea for EPCOT is more closely realized in Disney building Celebration than it ever was at the park.

The park may be leaving it's former vision (It left that in the late 90's/early 2000's though), but the park is crap right now, so I don't even care if GotG doesn't fit anymore. Give me something fun to do when i'm there, because right now there's very little of it.

Agreed, though my point was moreso that Disney as a company has, from its early days, always sought to construct a broadly inoffensive image. That includes washing fairy tales of their most disturbing elements, manicuring Walt's image, ignoring problematic media, or changing material within the parks. And that process goes back decades.

The park may be leaving it's former vision (It left that in the late 90's/early 2000's though)

I'd be genuinely curious to hear what you think the tipping points were, because you seem to place them quite a bit further back in the timeline than I do (to me, Nemo was the warning shot, Frozen was the declaration of intent that they didn't care anymore).

I don't even care if GotG doesn't fit anymore. Give me something fun to do when i'm there, because right now there's very little of it.

But what if... now hear me out... you could build something that was both fun and fitting?

But what if... now hear me out... you could build something that was both fun and fitting?
Disney will never allow an original ride to be built again (in the US at least), so you were never going to get that. This ride was original when first pitched and then some executive basically told them to slap GotG on it. This wouldn't have been built if GotG wasn't attached.

Disney will never allow an original ride to be built again (in the US at least), so you were never going to get that. This ride was original when first pitched and then some executive basically told them to slap GotG on it. This wouldn't have been built if GotG wasn't attached.

I personally care less if it’s IP based or original. If the attraction is good, it’s good. Just give me well done, fun attractions.

Reactions: n i c k

You'll note that I didn't caveat "fitting" by boxing it in to mean "no IPs."

There are ways to make IP feel appropriate. Nemo could have been made to fit into The Seas much better than it currently does. Frozen could have fit into Norway if they'd done it right, but they didn't bother. Ratatouille -- more or less -- works fine in France.

So it's not about using or not using franchises and characters. It's how they're implemented that is the sticking point.

Reactions: Grabnar
I personally care less if it’s IP based or original. If the attraction is good, it’s good. Just give me well done, fun attractions.
Yeah, I mean, I care to a point, but I just feel like Epcot has felt both dated and lost as far as theme goes for a long time. I wouldn't mind if they built IP rides in every single country, just as long as there's some rhyme or reason and a connection in terms of the IP and the country.

When it comes to Future World, I sort of don't care about GotG bc for all intents and purposes, it's still a ride themed around the big bang and the GotG is just the window dressing to sell the ride on billboards. If Future World felt like it had any thematic integrity right now (which is probably a 20+ year complaint), i'd care more. I just don't in this case.

Reactions: Grabnar
I'm sure this is only a really temporary thing and the AA's will be back before we know it. They needed something, anything in place of that finale in a pinch, so cutouts it is.

They don't airbrush the cigarettes out of pictures for nothing.

EDIT: Seriously, the manicuring of Walt's image has been going on for decades to the point where even Walt himself was annoyed with it.
To paraphrase Richard Schickel "In the end, Walt Disney's greatest creation was Walt Disney."

Reactions: shiekra38