Epic Universe Preview Center | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Preview Center

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just got a chance to watch the video and look at the photos @Brian G. posted in detail and just a couple of notes that were of interest to me--
  • The MexItalian restaurant is missing just like in the model shown on the reveal day (despite being in the flyover video and being so obviously under construction).
    DSC01719.jpg
  • They are showing HUGE nets under the HTTYD Sky Flys (which I actually don't hate because it kind of feels like theming, like the villagers would put up nets to catch anyone who falls out during training)
    DSC01557.jpg
  • Actually showing the flames on the windmill blades of the Burning Blade!
    DSC01631.jpg
I apologize if someone mentioned these before, but it feels like a firehose of info came out yesterday with the Preview Center reveal.
The AR feature also adds flames to the windmill.

I just got a chance to watch the video and look at the photos @Brian G. posted in detail and just a couple of notes that were of interest to me--
  • The MexItalian restaurant is missing just like in the model shown on the reveal day (despite being in the flyover video and being so obviously under construction).
    DSC01719.jpg
  • They are showing HUGE nets under the HTTYD Sky Flys (which I actually don't hate because it kind of feels like theming, like the villagers would put up nets to catch anyone who falls out during training)
    DSC01557.jpg
  • Actually showing the flames on the windmill blades of the Burning Blade!
    DSC01631.jpg
I apologize if someone mentioned these before, but it feels like a firehose of info came out yesterday with the Preview Center reveal.
hopefully no one says Beetlegeuse 3 times...

Reactions: belloq87
It's just a lot of energy focused on something silly, IMO, Yes, the IOA Preview did a better job - but it was also a product of its time. No, this Preview Center is not meant for anyone that's on this forum. Yes, you're all still going to EU.
Sure if there was a lack of a preview center it wasn't going to stop me from visiting EU, true, but I wouldn't go so far to call it silly. I'd call the original IOA preview center the first tribute store before there were tribute stores—you couldn't buy anything obviously but the theming and immersion was there.

It was also more involved and interactive back then too:

The preview center rocked. It was really well done.

Out front, there was a huge (20 ft tall?) hour glass with sand running through it, counting down the opening to the park in 1999.

When you walked into the Preview Center, you were given a passport with about 5 pages, one for each island. You then progressed through a series of rooms, one for each island. You would get your passport stamped in each room. The rooms were done very well, all decked out in theming from that island. Concept art adorned the walls, there were models, figures of characters, etc. I remember the Jurassic Park room had a huge dented metal door that said "Raptor inside" and it would shake every couple seconds and scare the crap out of you. It sounds corny when I type this, but it was very well done.

In the last room, there was a huge physical model of the resort (including stuff that never was built, like the adjacent golf course and expanded production facilities). Once you toured it, you absolutely wanted to go. I wish I could go back. I remember all the concept art for the Lighthouse had the flame burning on top -- I wish that was never cut.

For a while, one of the Passports from the preview center was hanging in one of the windows in the Port of Entry, but it has since been removed.

You're right things are different but there's also things which haven't changed. Universal could have expanded the app to create a fresh take on the passport concept! Since they're pushing this being the most technologically advanced park with grand theming and limiting the EU preview center to mostly just a model with some AR features is a far cry from what came before. The current iteration of the preview center is sterile by comparison, though the EU model is certainly of higher quality and fidelity than its predecessor.

At the very least I'm surprised they didn't have a scale model of the Chronos device at the entrance which would have made an amazing photo op and have a countdown to the opening of the park to help build anticipation. You know, something along the lines of what they did before:

hourglass1.jpg

There's been discussions every now and again pointing out where theme parks drop the ball when reattempting something they've done in the past and making a lesser experience, so I'm not sure why there's pushback on this topic.

I'll admit I'm bothered because I have feelings of being let down thinking we were going to get something like that again for the new era but it's not like there were expectations built out of nothing: it was based on what was done in the past. Boiling it down to "this isn't for you" seems kinda harsh when it was exactly the kind of thing that created lifelong fans, future guests, and cool stories to share years later.

Now I'll get off my soapbox because I didn't realize I was standing on it but I wanted to get my point across. And please note this all comes from a place of admiration and I do love the parks regardless of my issues with some things once in a while. As I said before I'm looking forward to seeing this in person as soon as I can and I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

By the way if anyone's curios to know if the AR works with photos of the model (or at least the ones I tried), it does not. :lol:

Sure if there was a lack of a preview center it wasn't going to stop me from visiting EU, true, but I wouldn't go so far to call it silly. I'd call the original IOA preview center the first tribute store before there were tribute stores—you couldn't buy anything obviously but the theming and immersion was there.

It was also more involved and interactive back then too:

You're right things are different but there's also things which haven't changed. Universal could have expanded the app to create a fresh take on the passport concept! Since they're pushing this being the most technologically advanced park with grand theming and limiting the EU preview center to mostly just a model with some AR features is a far cry from what came before. The current iteration of the preview center is sterile by comparison, though the EU model is certainly of higher quality and fidelity than its predecessor.

At the very least I'm surprised they didn't have a scale model of the Chronos device at the entrance which would have made an amazing photo op and have a countdown to the opening of the park to help build anticipation. You know, something along the lines of what they did before:

View attachment 22162

There's been discussions every now and again pointing out where theme parks drop the ball when reattempting something they've done in the past and making a lesser experience, so I'm not sure why there's pushback on this topic.

I'll admit I'm bothered because I have feelings of being let down thinking we were going to get something like that again for the new era but it's not like there were expectations built out of nothing: it was based on what was done in the past. Boiling it down to "this isn't for you" seems kinda harsh when it was exactly the kind of thing that created lifelong fans, future guests, and cool stories to share years later.

Now I'll get off my soapbox because I didn't realize I was standing on it but I wanted to get my point across. And please note this all comes from a place of admiration and I do love the parks regardless of my issues with some things once in a while. As I said before I'm looking forward to seeing this in person as soon as I can and I'm certain I'll enjoy it.

By the way if anyone's curios to know if the AR works with photos of the model (or at least the ones I tried), it does not. :lol:
the model is very very very impressive, but I'm surprised that the rest of the area feels bare bones. I understand that all their energy and effort went into the model itself,all their focus, but after you look at the model, it's like, well that's all
the tribute stores have 3 rooms so you are always amazed room to room. you go back and forth

Smart layout so people can walk all around the model and discover each of the four lands

Wizarding World has a hidden courtyard and Dark Universe has overhead themed electrical lines? Don't recall those in aerial photos.

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
While I would have preferred a more well-themed experience with rooms themed to individual lands... realistically there is no space here or elsewhere available for that type of experience that can be seen by the masses.

HHN has a dedicated tribute store space now.
Mardi Gras/Summer/Holiday tribute store has a dedicated space now.
SS 33 (or any soundstage) is to far of a walk for just a preview center.

I do wish they could have themed it a bit more with celestial park-esque theming, but I think it's fine.

Considering the issues Universal had with marketing Islands of Adventure after opening maybe their preview center was actually bad. :)
The design of the IOA preview center had nothing to do with the failure of IOA's initial popularity. We all know Universal over complicated the marketing of the resort.

Just view any Universal Escape ad to see how little they mentioned IOA as a new park. They just went with a generic "a universe of theme park, nightlife, etc."

Reactions: GA-MBIT
The design of the IOA preview center had nothing to do with the failure of IOA's initial popularity. We all know Universal over complicated the marketing of the resort.

Just view any Universal Escape ad to see how little they mentioned IOA as a new park. They just went with a generic "a universe of theme park, nightlife, etc."

We can't say that definitively, though. The goal of the Preview Center, ignoring the themeing and design aspect of it all, is marketing. It's within reason to say it could've played a part in the missed messaging.

We can't say that definitively, though. The goal of the Preview Center, ignoring the themeing and design aspect of it all, is marketing. It's within reason to say it could've played a part in the missed messaging.
I'd argue a mass promotional campaign on TV that is being seen by more eyes than the preview center had the bigger impact overall.

The IOA preview center mentioned "Universal's Newest Theme Park" whenever it had a chance... the Escape ads did not. The preview center had scale models, concept art and explanations as to what this new theme park had to offer with mentions of roller coasters, rides and shows.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I'd argue a mass promotional campaign on TV that is being seen by more eyes than the preview center had the bigger impact overall.

The IOA preview center mentioned "Universal's Newest Theme Park" whenever it had a chance... the Escape ads did not. The preview center had scale models, concept art and explanations as to what this new theme park had to offer with mentions of roller coasters, rides and shows.

No one said the Preview Center was the biggest culprit, just that it's within reason that it played a part - which cannot be disputed.

The Preview Center also talked extensively about the Escape rebrand as well as the twenty year plan for the resort, including a third theme park, two golf courses, and relocating Dr. Phillips High School. Escape and Islands were inexorably linked during that time period.

However, when it comes to the marketing, Escape was marketed separate from Islands and Islands was marketed separately from Escape, and both were marketed separately from the STUDIOS. THAT’S where the confusion came from. None of it was unified except in the preview center.

However, when it comes to the marketing, Escape was marketed separate from Islands and Islands was marketed separately from Escape, and both were marketed separately from the STUDIOS. THAT’S where the confusion came from. None of it was unified except in the preview center.
Better said than I, the preview center did tie everything together and made the entire UOR project make sense. However, had you not experienced the preview center, and saw only the ads, nothing tied things together or made sense... that's where the confusion was.

Universal is doing a fine job marketing wise so far with Epic, and I think the Preview Center is fine.

It's just a lot of energy focused on something silly, IMO, Yes, the IOA Preview did a better job - but it was also a product of its time. No, this Preview Center is not meant for anyone that's on this forum. Yes, you're all still going to EU.
This is a theme park discussion board. It’s all “silly.”

Which preview center sells the product more effectively to people who wander in off the street without advanced knowledge?

The “different era” argument grossly oversimplifies complex cultural, technological, social, and economic changes. In an era of social media, for instance, wouldn’t you want a preview center that looks spectacular when images are plastered on Twitter or Facebook? A model is a great example of something that may be fascinating in person but appears unimpressive in photos. To pick another example, EU is a park built by a resort directly competing with the king of the industry, its local rival. IOA wasn’t. You’d expect that to be reflected in the preview space.

This is a theme park discussion board. It’s all “silly.”

Which preview center sells the product more effectively to people who wander in off the street without advanced knowledge?

The “different era” argument grossly oversimplifies complex cultural, technological, social, and economic changes. In an era of social media, for instance, wouldn’t you want a preview center that looks spectacular when images are plastered on Twitter or Facebook? A model is a great example of something that may be fascinating in person but appears unimpressive in photos. To pick another example, EU is a park built by a resort directly competing with the king of the industry, its local rival. IOA wasn’t. You’d expect that to be reflected in the preview space.

Being verbose makes it all the more silly.

Reactions: imagin78