Eulogies for Jaws | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Eulogies for Jaws

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There isn't a whole lot of room left for a boat ride anymore, I think your best bet is Fievel's slide or jumping in the lagoon.

I say import the same ride layout from Living with the Lands at EPCOT and put Great Whites in the water tanks instead of those farm-raised Tilapia.

Then call the ride Living with Jaws.

Diagon Alley is at least a hundred times better than Jaws/Amity. Myself, I was bored with it after two rides, and only rode it once during a vacation. Not worth rerides. Really an over rated attraction, like Space Mt. is over rated.....and...let the angry responses come. :lol:

I do think the land is an upgrade, but attraction to attraction, Jaws wins hands down. Loved the spielers and how you could get a different experience every time based on which skipper you rode with. Dunno what you mean by no variation - Gringotts is the same track with the same screenz every ride, man. C’mon! Also, nighttime rides were a blast and legit scary.

It’s also the quintessential Universal IP - what the hell even is a Universal Studios without Jaws?

I do think the land is an upgrade, but attraction to attraction, Jaws wins hands down. Loved the spielers and how you could get a different experience every time based on which skipper you rode with. Dunno what you mean by no variation - Gringotts is the same track with the same screenz every ride, man. C’mon! Also, nighttime rides were a blast and legit scary.

It’s also the quintessential Universal IP - what the hell even is a Universal Studios without Jaws?
Sorry, just could never understand the ballyhoo for Jaws. Alene thought the same, so we rarely rode it. It just didn't do anything for us, even though we loved the other practical rides like Jurassic Park and Earthquake/Disaster. .

Reactions: imagin78
I didn’t know where else to put this…but it’s now been over 10 years since Jaws closed on January 2, 2012. To me, this was always UO’s best ride and I feel the park suffers greatly today without.

There are things I still like about Studios (MIB, HMU) but the park has definitely declined since Jaws closed. Beforehand it was hard for me to decide which of the two parks I liked better, now it's not even close.

I think Diagon is a technically more impressive improvement but I do miss Jaws.

It was a perfectly paced ride with the fire and heat blast on your face provided a real sense of danger.

It's also sad to see the decline of on board skippers. Jaws, Kongfrontation and The Great Movie ride could vary massively depending on how good the CM on board was. I think Jungle Cruise is the last ride left using them while Kong has switched to animatronic and voiceover for a stale repeatability.

Holy crap! Loves Shrek, hates Jaws. @Mad Dog you have been spending way too much time at Strongwater! :grin:
LOL...Yes....Bottom line though, "Expectations" has a lot to do with it. Jaws was a much ballyhooed, massive in size, expensive to operate, 'E ticket' attraction. Shrek just a C ticket. I 'expected' so much more from Jaws and it just didn't deliver for us. Shrek was fine for what it was, and the very entertaining pre show added value. Really comparing apples and oranges. ....But I knew this would be an unpopular stance........... And...Jaws 'reputation' probably exceeds it's actual love before it closed. Lines really weren't very long in those last few years, until they leaked the closing.

I remember the day Universal announced Jaws was closing, and I don't think I've ever been angrier at a theme park company than I was that day (Disney announcing the closure of The Great Movie Ride is close). My feelings have since mellowed out, obviously, and I'm not angry about it, just severely bummed. Diagon as an area is a net improvement for the park, but Jaws (the ride) puts Gringotts to shame.

Also, @Mad Dog ...
AggravatingDirectHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

;)

I remember the day Universal announced Jaws was closing, and I don't think I've ever been angrier at a theme park company than I was that day (Disney announcing the closure of The Great Movie Ride is close). My feelings have since mellowed out, obviously, and I'm not angry about it, just severely bummed. Diagon as an area is a net improvement for the park, but Jaws (the ride) puts Gringotts to shame.

Also, @Mad Dog ...
AggravatingDirectHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

;)
I love Gringott's. I'm sure I've rode it over 200 times. I rode Jaws once in 2004. Twice in 2010 and once in 2011. ....and I'm one who loves practical attractions....Jaws just never clicked for me.

There are things I still like about Studios (MIB, HMU) but the park has definitely declined since Jaws closed. Beforehand it was hard for me to decide which of the two parks I liked better, now it's not even close.
My sentiments exactly. I used to LOVE Studios. For a time it was my favorite park in all of Florida…now…Islands is kicking the living crap out of it and it’s not even close. Better theming, better mix of rides, better food choices, idk…I LOVE Diagon, ET, Mummy, and MIB, but they could literally trash the rest of the park and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

Man just think, there was a point in time when we had Jaws, MiB, Mummy, and Finns all within a couple minutes of each other with negligible wait times, and all we could do was complain there wasn't a big boy roller coaster yet and preach about the dark days of Universal!!!!

What was wrong with us!?!?!?!?

Man just think, there was a point in time when we had Jaws, MiB, Mummy, and Finns all within a couple minutes of each other with negligible wait times, and all we could do was complain there wasn't a big boy roller coaster yet and preach about the dark days of Universal!!!!

At the time, B&M loopers were still considered "big boy coasters."

They were dark because of the flat attendance and lack of expansion and upkeep

For instance, the Simpsons Ride and HRRR were products of this era...and greatly reflective of that time

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The music playing at the beginning and end of the ride reminds me of the "Chicken Jane" song from Between the Lions... "Look look, see see, coming down the lane, here comes Spot, here comes Dot, here comes Chicken Jane..." I hope most Gen Zers will know what I'm talking about...

The music playing at the beginning and end of the ride reminds me of the "Chicken Jane" song from Between the Lions... "Look look, see see, coming down the lane, here comes Spot, here comes Dot, here comes Chicken Jane..." I hope most Gen Zers will know what I'm talking about...

It's the official Amity theme from the movie. But yes, that does sound very similar.

All I remember from BtL is the Cliffhanger segment. "Can't...hold...on...much...longer!"

Reactions: Rosequartz2000