Express Passes USJ - Down for some reason | Inside Universal Forums

Express Passes USJ - Down for some reason

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 27, 2024
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster! I wanted to query the wisdom of this community to see if anyone has any insider information about what might be going on at USJ. We've been to Universal Studios tons in FL, but my family and I are excited to try to go to USJ at the end of July. The express pass situation is so much easier in FL. Even so, I did my research, etc. and was all ready for ticket drop this week for express passes for my family. Long story short, I knew something was going on when express pass tickets never populated anywhere even though I was refreshing sites like Klook so much they (literally) thought I was a bot. In other words, I was sure I didn't miss the EP as active as I was at trying to get tickets. The plot thickened when the next day, an automatic "no stock" popped up again just like when I was trying for tickets. Anyway, through a series of emails with USJ in the US and USJ in Japan, I found out that there are no express passes for sale right now at the end of July. (Actually, USJ - US was inaccurate and told me in a response email that all tickets had "sold out" within minutes; that was untrue, so FYI if you are asking them questions, don't necessarily trust what you get back). USJ - Japan's response was 2 days later but actually accurate - that there's a hold on all EP right now. Confirming this, there's a red notice on the USJ - United States' ticket sales website that "stock for express passes after July 24 will be announced in the near future." So, something is in the works that has stopped all EP sales at the end of July. Any clue about what that is or could be? Initially, I thought it could be for the new Demon Slayer XR Ride which opens July 19th and is on sale at the USJ - Japan site but not the USJ - US site and that perhaps USJ was marrying the US & Japan site. However, that wouldn't explain why the USJ - Japan site is down for all their express passes. If anyone has seen this before (maybe they do routine EP maintenance or something), knows what's in the works, OR knows when the Express Passes will go up again, I would love the information! The site has basically been offline for EP for USJ for almost 5 days now. Thank you!!

I'm just back from Japan, from what I remember of booking our tickets around March time, tickets/express passes only go on sale 2 months before hand, so maybe your dates just aren't available yet?

Reactions: CurioUS
I'm just back from Japan, from what I remember of booking our tickets around March time, tickets/express passes only go on sale 2 months before hand, so maybe your dates just aren't available yet?
Right, I don't think they are available yet, but I don't think it's a normal date calculation thing. Express Passes have been up for July 23rd for almost a week now. There's been an absolute EP freeze on all sites (USJ - Japan, USJ - USJ - US, and Klook) from July 24th onward for about 5 days now. Entrance tickets for July 24th onward are up on all sites, though. There are just no Express Passes. Very strange.

My only guess is that the parks major capacity crunch is affecting their express pass situation

My only guess is that the parks major capacity crunch is affecting their express pass situation
Yeah, every video I've watched on the park shows unbelievable lines, though I did read somewhere that attendance was down during Golden Week because of the announcement of the delayed opening of Donkey Kong.

Reactions: Jake S
Yeah, every video I've watched on the park shows unbelievable lines, though I did read somewhere that attendance was down during Golden Week because of the announcement of the delayed opening of Donkey Kong.
I was at DisneySea during GW and it was low crowds, I was surprised. Wondering if GW is becoming one of those times where lots of people stay home because they're afraid it will be crowds everywhere.

I was at DisneySea during GW and it was low crowds, I was surprised. Wondering if GW is becoming one of those times where lots of people stay home because they're afraid it will be crowds everywhere.
That is interesting! Maybe everyone will be at the Kyoto festival while we are at USJ, lol!

Yeah, just had a look on the website there myself and see what you mean - very strange! Guess you'll just have to keep checking several times through the day until they are up- PITA, but 100% worth it. We were there the day after golden week ended and crowds were fine, we breezed through everything with the express passes. The longest line we saw posted was 60mins, but definitely did wonder if we got lucky with lower crowds due to Donkey Kong being delayed, as you said - maybe they're planning to open it around the 24th July and that's the issue?

Hi all, been following this thread for a little while as we're visiting the park on 30th July from the UK and have also been trying to buy the express pass, but still no availability. Just wondering if anyone had any further info as to why or when they're likely to be live to save me checking 4 times a day!

Hi fidodido, same here going at 25th July. On Klook website said they would release it at 20 june, but schedule is subjected to change. I have been refreshing the site whole day, thinking that it changes in japanese time, nothing happenend. Might try again tomorrow. On the official USJ Japan web, before they mostly only sell the passes in june. But now im seeing at some, they also sell in July, just not after 23rd. Maybe try to look in Reddit (r/USJ), there are hopefully also lots of people with the same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: fidodido
Hi fidodido, same here going at 25th July. On Klook website said they would release it at 20 june, but schedule is subjected to change. I have been refreshing the site whole day, thinking that it changes in japanese time, nothing happenend. Might try again tomorrow. On the official USJ Japan web, before they mostly only sell the passes in june. But now im seeing at some, they also sell in July, just not after 23rd. Maybe try to look in Reddit (r/USJ), there are hopefully also lots of people with the same issue.
Thanks Ysanne, will keep an eye on Reddit too. I notice on Klook today the status of the express 7 has changed from sold out to on sale soon, and that USJ have started announcing their summer collabs, so i assume it has something to do with that. I wouldn't usually be so on edge about these things, but if we're only there for one day i want to make the most of it!

Hello All,
I also am keeping tabs on express passes! Plan to visit on July24! Been checking USJ site then working to Third party sites. Hope they go on sale soon so I can stop checking...

Hey guys,

I am in the same boat as you guys. Have been trying my luck for a month for 31st July or 1st August.

Wanted some advice:
1. I have heard Japan would be having summer holidays during July end. Is it a good time to visit USJ? Hold it be very crowded?
2. Also, since there are so many different kinds of Express Pass, I was thinking about the Express pass 7. Does it cover everything?
3. For Mario Kart, what time is better to visit? Morning, afternoon or evening?
4. Lastly any tips? It’s my my first time visiting any of the Universal Studios

For anyone following the thread, Express passes will be released 26th June 12pm JST.

Avneet, i'm not best to answer your questions as i haven't been, but, i imagine end July will be busy, that's when i need to go because my partner is a teacher unfortunately! Express pass 7 seems to cover everything, i think the time entry depends on your preference/what you can get.

Reactions: Avneet Rana
Hi guys - just a heads up that express passes are live again with stock until August 21st. Happy hunting!

Avneet, I've never been to USJ either, but from what I've read anytime is busy in Japan right now. I think it's a crowded park in general. I think the Express Pass 7 covers a lot of things and has timed areas to Super Mario land as well. The info button on the USJ site can tell you exactly what's included. Most of the things I've read say to try to aim for morning for Mario Kart, but it might get less crowded at night, so if you don't get an early morning entry, it might be worth trying later in the evening. Good luck!

Reactions: fidodido