Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fantasyland 3.0

I doubt any expansion to Fantasyland occurs pre-2025 due to COVID, but if they added just one of the rides from Tokyo, then California's Fantasyland would easily have the best ride lineup compared to it's counterparts. I don't expect them to ever add Beauty and the Beast to Disneyland due to space and budget constraints, but I could see them add Frozen Ever After and the DisneySea Tangled boat ride, while possibly converting one of Tomorrowland's underutilized buildings (Innoventions or Captain EO theater) into a temporary show space.

1) None of that makes sense as they don’t have the space unless they bulldoze the theater and it’s well-received show.
2) There are more pressing issues in the vicinity of Fantasyland that will need to be addressed, possibly with a wrecking ball.

Neither. Matterhorn.
Never getting knocked down. It's a thrill ride, it's unique to Disneyland, it was overseen by Walt, it's immensely popular with the GP, it's a Disney mountain and it recently received a refurbishment in 2015 which added new animatronics and screen sections. There are like, zero reasons for it to be torn down for expansion when the lagoon, Autopia and the subs are right there. Maybe if for structural reasons it was a hazard to guests, but that's a problem that can be addressed without demolition.

Never getting knocked down. It's a thrill ride, it's unique to Disneyland, it was overseen by Walt, it's immensely popular with the GP, it's a Disney mountain and it recently received a refurbishment in 2015 which added new animatronics and screen sections. There are like, zero reasons for it to be torn down for expansion when the lagoon, Autopia and the subs are right there. Maybe if for structural reasons it was a hazard to guests, but that's a problem that can be addressed without demolition.
It's obvious you don't know what the problem is and I don't want to keep going back and forth so.... they've spent the last decade band-aiding the track to not screw up what is now 61 years of grandfather provisions on safety regulations. It's not unsafe as is, but there's only so much they can do to kick the can without Cal/OSHA making them bring things like the ride envelope up to code, which would destroy most of the mountain's structural support.

Sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do.

It's obvious you don't know what the problem is and I don't want to keep going back and forth so.... they've spent the last decade band-aiding the track to not screw up what is now 61 years of grandfather provisions on safety regulations. It's not unsafe as is, but there's only so much they can do to kick the can without Cal/OSHA making them bring things like the ride envelope up to code, which would destroy most of the mountain's structural support.

Sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do.
Oof that's rough. I guess you're right that they'll have to do something, but it's Disney so I'm not counting on them to preemptively do something about it until they absolutely have to (aka something bad happens). I mean, they still haven't fixed MK's Space Mountain track.

I would be curious to hear what you think would happen to the space

Sorry for the double post. I perused the WDW Magic forums (yes I know) and found a thread from October 2019 talking about Matterhorn issues, but it doesn't seem like any big insiders confirmed rumors about structural issues, though it does seem as if such rumors aren't uncommon.

Not sure what the etiquette is for posting a link to another theme park forums but here's the thread: Concerns about the Matterhorn...

Anyway, bringing this back to Fantasyland expansion discussion, Tangled and Frozen seem to make the most sense as they are the biggest traditional fairy tale properties Disney has created in the past decade, with each property having modest boat rides with relatively small footprints (4,500 sq m for FEA at Hong Kong and 3,600 sq m for the Tangled D ticket). Of course, any expansion of Fantasyland would necessitate demolition somewhere, but if Disney doesn't want to break the bank with a big E-Ticket, than Tangled and Frozen seem like the most reasonable options.

I’m all for additions to Fantasyland assuming they don’t replace any of the classic dark rides. IDK how much space there is, but I’d say replace Storybook Canal and Casey Jr.

I was watching this documentary on the construction of the Nemo redo of Submarine Voyage when this layout of part of the show building and ride path appeared, both of which are hidden under Autopia.

Subs.JPG

Of course, this layout doesn't show any of underground maintenance area, but it got me thinking about the practicality of a small Fantasyland expansion without affecting the subs. Autopia would have to go and Disney might reroute the monorail, but perhaps they could do something with this 2 acre-ish sock puppet shaped plot of land?

Sock Puppet.JPG

Just some blue sky thinking. Again, there's no access to the full size of the submarine showbuilding including backstage areas and I doubt with COVID that any Fantasyland expansion would come until years after Railway and PatF.

Manifesting this for the motorboat lagoon area at Disneyland.

I’m gonna be real here: as nice as it looks, I’m not excited for this if all that precious space is wasted on a glorified roller skater and a mediocre boat ride. If they’re going to use that space, it has to be used for something GOOD.

I think a land like this would be ideal for Fantasyland, but I think it should have a trackless Frozen dark ride.

I’m gonna be real here: as nice as it looks, I’m not excited for this if all that precious space is wasted on a glorified roller skater and a mediocre boat ride. If they’re going to use that space, it has to be used for something GOOD.

I think a land like this would be ideal for Fantasyland, but I think it should have a trackless Frozen dark ride.
I imagine a smaller version of the land. Using the old Motor Boat, Nemo and some of Autopia.

The Frozen boat ride and a sit down restaurant. Maybe a flat ride

1694708701464.png

I would be fine with the boat ride and the tiny coaster. I don't really see how a trackless ride would be more space efficient.
The Coaster, I can really take or leave....like I would not be upset but would like to see the ride....Plussed if they brought it here.