Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 432 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Our thoughts are also probably the most irrelevant.
I mean true, cause we're likely to go to their parks no matter what. Idk if I ran a company id wanna know what the people who actually spend energy and time and $$ in our company actually think. This is a small part of their online research I'm sure but I still find it necessary.

I mean true, cause we're likely to go to their parks no matter what. Idk if I ran a company id wanna know what the people who actually spend energy and time and $$ in our company actually think. This is a small part of their online research I'm sure but I still find it necessary.

That's why guest surveys are so important.

I'd like to think one of our crazy ideas made an impression but who knows.Universal is a secretive company and are probably just looking for leaks.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95

They don't dismiss it - but fan is short for fanatic, and most feelings usually come from the emotional side which is usually not a good way to run the business :lol:

They don't dismiss it - but fan is short for fanatic, and most feelings usually come from the emotional side which is usually not a good way to run the business :lol:
THAT is very true. I perosnally understand all the business side of things so while I get sad I’m never surprised. Only more sad now due to (thou who shall not be named) so idk when I’ll be in Orlando next, but this is very true. I think a lot of fans see “Old Classic ride, you could never get rid of it!” Meanwhile creative sees things as “PRIME. REAL ESTATE.” And get ideas flowing and eventually some click. These parks generally don’t tear down major attractions like MIB/Mummy without a plan so it’s what happens and helps make theme parks timeless. Offers a nice balance

Personally, just based on other sites I've seen, this forum seems to have the most-level head fanatics on the Internet. May not be a high bar to clear, but still.
Hell yeah! Good job team

THAT is very true. I perosnally understand all the business side of things so while I get sad I’m never surprised. Only more sad now due to (thou who shall not be named) so idk when I’ll be in Orlando next, but this is very true. I think a lot of fans see “Old Classic ride, you could never get rid of it!” Meanwhile creative sees things as “PRIME. REAL ESTATE.” And get ideas flowing and eventually some click. These parks generally don’t tear down major attractions like MIB/Mummy without a plan so it’s what happens and helps make theme parks timeless. Offers a nice balance
Universal isn't so much concerned with being timeless, but timely.

Some fans need to understand that to preserve happiness.

Post Potter they've cranked it up to 11 and the new concrete smell permeates the resort.

I like it when problems like these exist because it allows for wild creativity to overcome and you end up with something that would never have existed. The elevator in Haunted Mansion in DL only existed so they could get beyond the train tracks and it was so popular, they faked it when bringing it to WDW. Same with the queue for Indiana Jones like you mentioned which has a fantastic queue. Other examples include Nemesis at Alton Towers. They weren't allowed to go above the tree height so they went downwards into the rock and created one of the best inverted coasters with a tight profile and near misses.

This is the type of creativity I love seeing in theme parks.

I get all of that up to the last sentence. They can afford refurbs, they just choose to run their stuff into the ground.

Yeah, look at Hulk. What's the point in never refurbing something if you're just going to have to re-track it?

And what exactly would be in the cards to replace Mummy? SLOP?

This is the type of creativity I love seeing in theme parks.

Yeah, look at Hulk. What's the point in never refurbing something if you're just going to have to re-track it?

I think Hulk is the exception to a lot of rules.

Hulk may be the most famous B&M coaster there is and if you include the redo, probably has the most amount of guests. Plus Marvel is going through a renewed popularity.

I think Hulk is the exception to a lot of rules.

Hulk may be the most famous B&M coaster there is and if you include the redo, probably has the most amount of guests. Plus Marvel is going through a renewed popularity.

And that was an argument against refurbing it for so long. My point exactly--if they can shut down Hulk for a year, they can close down Mummy for a few months.

And that was an argument against refurbing it for so long. My point exactly--if they can shut down Hulk for a year, they can close down Mummy for a few months.

The problem is that Mummy isn't any where near as popular as it was. It might be a huge hit with fans of the parks but they're visiting regardless. Universal want to appeal to as many people as possible and a movie from over 20 years ago just doesn't have the same draw as a more relevant IP.

The problem is that Mummy isn't any where near as popular as it was. It might be a huge hit with fans of the parks but they're visiting regardless. Universal want to appeal to as many people as possible and a movie from over 20 years ago just doesn't have the same draw as a more relevant IP.

That's fair, but it's still a rollercoaster rooted around a commonly understood monster, which is about as timeless as you can get for Universal.

That's why guest surveys are so important.

I'd like to think one of our crazy ideas made an impression but who knows.Universal is a secretive company and are probably just looking for leaks.
I've been a ITIL consultant for most of my working life and when I was invited to assess an IT department I always wanted to interview 3 types of people who work there.
- Someone who is positive, has a lot of ideas and would love to improve the department. (they have great ideas and have the ability to pull the majority in the right direction but their ideas can be too extreem)
- Someone who is very negative, who just knows nothing will ever change due to management or past efforts to improve their situation. (these people are nasty and load but they are that because they care and they are frustrated and I can work with that).
- Someone who is indifferent, who actually gave up, it should be better but that is life... (My biggest hurdle and I have to work the hardest to get them on board).

In the end I come up with the changes but all these types are important. I good theme park will take their fans in account. They won't let them rule them but they are a great bunch because they care the heck out of what you are doing and they spread the gospel.

Reactions: Grabnar
I've been a ITIL consultant for most of my working life and when I was invited to assess an IT department I always wanted to interview 3 types of people who work there.
- Someone who is positive, has a lot of ideas and would love to improve the department. (they have great ideas and have the ability to pull the majority in the right direction but their ideas can be too extreem)
- Someone who is very negative, who just knows nothing will ever change due to management or past efforts to improve their situation. (these people are nasty and load but they are that because they care and they are frustrated and I can work with that).
- Someone who is indifferent, who actually gave up, it should be better but that is life... (My biggest hurdle and I have to work the hardest to get them on board).

In the end I come up with the changes but all these types are important. I good theme park will take their fans in account. They won't let them rule them but they are a great bunch because they care the heck out of what you are doing and they spread the gospel.
The difference is scale. A big IT department is, what, a couple hundred people. If one segment outnumbers the others, it’s maybe by a couple dozen people. It’s important to consider the outnumbered because they still carry a noticeable percentage of the load.

Theme parks are a different beast entirely. Hundreds of thousands, millions, attend and have opinions, which means an outnumbered segment is outnumbered by tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people.

MiceChat has 100,000+ members, but only about 350 active members (recently visited or posted on the site). WDW has 100,000+ and (when I was on it way back when) hovered around 800 active members. The Trackers have 774k subscribers, but most of their Disney-focused videos only have 200-300k views.

Theme park fans are not huge slice of the pie.

If you were assessing an IT department of 50 people, where 3 people were negative, 5 were positive, and 42 were neutral, your recommendations better focus almost entirely on the neutral.

The difference is scale. A big IT department is, what, a couple hundred people. If one segment outnumbers the others, it’s maybe by a couple dozen people. It’s important to consider the outnumbered because they still carry a noticeable percentage of the load.

Theme parks are a different beast entirely. Hundreds of thousands, millions, attend and have opinions, which means an outnumbered segment is outnumbered by tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people.

MiceChat has 100,000+ members, but only about 350 active members (recently visited or posted on the site). WDW has 100,000+ and (when I was on it way back when) hovered around 800 active members. The Trackers have 774k subscribers, but most of their Disney-focused videos only have 200-300k views.

Theme park fans are not huge slice of the pie.

If you were assessing an IT department of 50 people, where 3 people were negative, 5 were positive, and 42 were neutral, your recommendations better focus almost entirely on the neutral.
What I try to say is that you never try to please or focus on any specific group but on what is best for the business (I'm talking about IT). For theme parks it's best to serve every single group. In a talk at iaapa a Universal Creative explained they serve 3 types, the super fan of the ip (well known location, expanding on the ip with the maker of ip etc.), the guests who know and maybe like the ip and the guest who doesn't know or care. The super fan group is smaller but spends more, the middle group will spend regular and because of how good the end result should be the guests who don't care at least like what they saw and experienced and will come back to the park. Financial wise all 3 are as important for a park. As an addition is that you can get great blue sky ideas from your super fans and they will tell you when you frack up because they care, all for free and although you not always should act you always should listen.

What I try to say is that you never try to please or focus on any specific group but on what is best for the business (I'm talking about IT). For theme parks it's best to serve every single group. In a talk at iaapa a Universal Creative explained they serve 3 types, the super fan of the ip (well known location, expanding on the ip with the maker of ip etc.), the guests who know and maybe like the ip and the guest who doesn't know or care. The super fan group is smaller but spends more, the middle group will spend regular and because of how good the end result should be the guests who don't care at least like what they saw and experienced and will come back to the park. Financial wise all 3 are as important for a park. As an addition is that you can get great blue sky ideas from your super fans and they will tell you when you frack up because they care, all for free and although you not always should act you always should listen.
Super fans of the IP. Creative wants to make sure a F&F super fan believes an attraction’s aesthetic-from facade to exit-fits into their expectations of a narrative and experience. A super fan of the park is an entirely different thing, and isn’t something the theme park caters to when they’re developing attractions. Events, and to a degree Entertainment and Operations are the ones who care about theme park super fans.

Creative, Imagineering, can’t get wrapped up in what their most zealous fans want for the park because, typically, what those fans want aren’t feasible to the reality of theme park design—it’s takes up too much room, costs too much money, or interferes too much with the park itself. Theme park super fans tend to only be concerned with their micro, personal view and expectations. Designers consider a macro combination of guests experience (including sight lines), ROI, available technology, backstage impact, employee requirements, long-term costs such as maintenance and repair, etc. Plus, they’re trying to look at how it jives with everything else.

That’s the difference. We have theme park fans requesting airtime-focused hyper coasters with little regard to how it would have to go through multiple lands of a park while being nearly impossible to theme. Theme park fans want a Test Track-style F&F when there’s no room without ripping out massive swaths of backstage infrastructure.

F&F: Supercharged has issues. No doubt. But the ride system, within the Studios itself, actually isn’t one of them. It’s something completely different than an a coaster (Studios has 4) or a simulator (4). Transformers is the closest comparable thing, and it’s still a completely different ride experience. Based on the available space, the F&F attraction theme park fans want would either be a 5th coaster or simulator.

So, they took they’re available technology and available space and made something true to the IP. It hasn’t been received well, but Creative tried with what they had. And the theme park fans who think they could have done better can bugger off, because they wouldn’t dare sacrifice what needed to sacrificed to get what they “want.”