Florida Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Florida Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading WDW Magic. Sad news....WDW Magic Administrator reports that " the WDW Entertainment Department is getting cut to the bone this week. There will be very little left, and losing
a lot of very experienced 20+ year service part time CM's"...In a reply to a question of what areas cut to the bone, Equity, Musicians, Characters, Parades, Fireworks, WDW Magic Administrator answered, "All of the above". :(

Last edited:
I was just reading WDW Magic. Sad news....WDW Magic Administrator reports that " the WDW Entertainment Department is getting cut to the bone this week. There will be very little left, and losing
a lot of very experienced 20+ year service part time CM's"...In a reply to a question of what areas cut to the bone, Equity, Musicians, Characters, Parades, Fireworks, WDW Magic Administrator answered, "All of the above". :(
I don't doubt it but I also don't trust WDWMagic for anything.

Reactions: RevFreako
They cut the fairy godmother :grumble:
Nobody to grant wishes any longer.....

One of the biggest problems Disney is going to have in the coming years is that full time union CMs are going to win out over all others. Good, tenured part-timers will all be gone because mediocre full-timers have a union contract.

Oh and full-timers are more expensive than PT and way more expensive than college program, so shifts are going to be cut left and right.

Meanwhile, Universal and SeaWorld get to recall who they want.

I‘ve never thought that the pandemic itself would ruin WDW, but I could see three or four variables (labor, collapse of DVC point markets, projects that either don’t or no longer earn a return, reduced international travel, all with an expectation of profit growth on top) drastically alters what it is in 3-5 years.

Yeah. Unless you’re a local or carry an AP, I don’t see why anyone would visit now for a half-baked experience with big crowds returning.
Agreed. No way, as a far away tourist, that I would pay big bucks and visit WDW with the major entertainment cutbacks. Not counting the obvious safety situation and wearing a mask.

Recently travelled from Canada to Orlando (our border is not closed to air travel).

Although I had no illusions about the impact of COVID on tourism the sight of empty airports, roads, etc was jarring.

As for the theme parks I can’t help but wonder how long even the diminished state of operations are sustainable without further cuts. How long can regional tourism support the parks at their current capacity? It is very painful to see so plainly how many people are out of work.

Edit: One other thought. I find it maddening to hear and personally see how public health measures have become such a divisive issue. Regardless of your opinion on the cost-benefit analysis with respect to lock downs, border closure, quarantines etc (i.e. economic vs saved lives) one thing is certain. Many places in the world will not open their borders and relax their policies until infections rates subside. Until Florida curbs its infection rates the state is going to suffer immense pain and suffering. You can be open, but it does no good if travellers and especially governments see outrageous infections rates relative to other places in the world.

My point? Even if you think the risk is acceptable, by doing a few things you can put your Friends & neighbours back to work faster.

PS - I have no political allegiance, but I do want to see health and prosperity for my neighbours to the south.

It’s such a scary thought to think that the parks hinge on a vaccine when it’s still possible they could all flop. Everyone talks about it like we’ll get one soon and that’ll make it “safe to go to the parks again” but the reality is that so much could happen (mutation)...which is why I’m not as sure of this whole “when this is over” mindset.

It’s such a scary thought to think that the parks hinge on a vaccine when it’s still possible they could all flop. Everyone talks about it like we’ll get one soon and that’ll make it “safe to go to the parks again” but the reality is that so much could happen (mutation)...which is why I’m not as sure of this whole “when this is over” mindset.
We will have one soon and it will not make things 100% back to normal but it will substantially start to lead us there. It will be a big step. You seriously need to take a deep breath.

Reactions: Legacy
I’m sure this has already been brought up, but has Universal said anything about when their other resort hotels might reopen? I have a trip planned for next spring and I’m really hoping Portofino Bay will be open

I'm not sure why you keep doing this. Parks have survived through other pandemics, recessions, depressions, wars, and international crises. This is just coming off as "I don't pay attention to history".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RevFreako
I'm not sure why you keep doing this. Parks have survived through other pandemics, recessions, depressions, wars, and international crises. This is just coming off as "I don't pay attention to history".

True, Cedar Point and Kennywood went through the World Wars, Spanish Flu and the Depression, you have a point there.

100% agree with you, but, in their partial defense, this dip seems to be targeting travel/tourism the most out of any major world event, 9/11 dip aside.

Reactions: SeventyOne
WDW can go screw themselves if they think this Park Pass crap is gonna fly long term. I feel like i'm wasting my AP right now because I hardly ever go anymore due to the hoops I have to jump through just to get into the park I want to go to (DHS). I have my AP through February thanks to the closure, but i'm really not sure if i'll renew after that. I could defend it before, but now it's to the point where I have to book reservations just to get in the park and then FP+ reservations on top of that (and maybe even Dining reservations if I wanted to make a night of it at Epcot?).

There's just too much crap that you have to deal with for the amount of money i'm paying. And tbh, I haven't missed the parks all that much during my time NOT going. Without fireworks, entertainment, M&G's, the parks are a shell of themselves right now.

WDW can go screw themselves if they think this Park Pass crap is gonna fly long term. I feel like i'm wasting my AP right now because I hardly ever go anymore due to the hoops I have to jump through just to get into the park I want to go to (DHS). I have my AP through February thanks to the closure, but i'm really not sure if i'll renew after that. I could defend it before, but now it's to the point where I have to book reservations just to get in the park and then FP+ reservations on top of that (and maybe even Dining reservations if I wanted to make a night of it at Epcot?).

There's just too much crap that you have to deal with for the amount of money i'm paying. And tbh, I haven't missed the parks all that much during my time NOT going. Without fireworks, entertainment, M&G's, the parks are a shell of themselves right now.

The entire package (park dates, rides, restaurants) of pre planning required by Disney, past and present, are just a complete turn off. I've always personally thought Disney''s and Universal's parks are just about
equal. But the hassle of going to Disney is a pain in the butt. And....the bottom line for me is that I spend almost all of my Orlando vacation trips at Universal rather than Disney. I vote with my money. I want leisure
and relaxation, not aggravation.

But Nick, would you go at all anyway if the parks were packed to the gunnels? How else could they limit crowds? I agree with you in that I would just cancel my pass for now. There is no value in it.

But Nick, would you go at all anyway if the parks were packed to the gunnels? How else could they limit crowds? I agree with you in that I would just cancel my pass for now. There is no value in it.
I mean, I went to Universal yesterday, a much smaller park as far as size than say MK, and it was fairly empty. I didn't go on any rides, just did the houses and walked around, but it was just fun to see a friend again and walk around. I could go to Disney and i'm sure in the middle of the week that it's fairly empty, but the extra steps and planning ahead is just annoying.

As far as packed parks - if it were normal times, I probably would be there. Remember, i'm the guy over in the movie thread defending the movie going experience. I tend to weirdly like crowds. I sometimes go to MK and do nothing but go on the peoplemover. I like the simple things and hanging out with people I like.

Reactions: MrBlonde
I mean, I went to Universal yesterday, a much smaller park as far as size than say MK, and it was fairly empty. I didn't go on any rides, just did the houses and walked around, but it was just fun to see a friend again and walk around. I could go to Disney and i'm sure in the middle of the week that it's fairly empty, but the extra steps and planning ahead is just annoying.

As far as packed parks - if it were normal times, I probably would be there. Remember, i'm the guy over in the movie thread defending the movie going experience. I tend to weirdly like crowds. I sometimes go to MK and do nothing but go on the peoplemover. I like the simple things and hanging out with people I like.

I too like crowds, but for a very obvious reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.