Florida Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Florida Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those visiting the WDW parks, and sometimes getting frustrated looking at the long posted line times, Touring Plans has, in the past month, stated that their 'observed' actual wait times
are generally about 70% of the park's 'posted wait times'. On Sunday Oct. 11th, the covid era safety restricted crowds at WDW were fairly high, especially at Epcot. Touring Plans had 'observers' in
the four WDW parks determining the 'actual' wait times, as opposed to the 'posted' wait times. Following are Touring Plan's findings;
Park...................................."Actual" average wait times in comparison to park's 'posted' wait times.
Epcot..................................68%
Magic Kingdom.................67%
Animal Kingdom...............74%
DHS...................................74%
This info should help you plan your day a bit better.
and.....Both Universal parks also had covid era safety restrictions max line times on Sunday. Generally their line times are also inflated according to reports , though I haven't seen an actual percentage figure on that yet.

Recently travelled from Canada to Orlando (our border is not closed to air travel).

Although I had no illusions about the impact of COVID on tourism the sight of empty airports, roads, etc was jarring.

As for the theme parks I can’t help but wonder how long even the diminished state of operations are sustainable without further cuts. How long can regional tourism support the parks at their current capacity? It is very painful to see so plainly how many people are out of work.

Edit: One other thought. I find it maddening to hear and personally see how public health measures have become such a divisive issue. Regardless of your opinion on the cost-benefit analysis with respect to lock downs, border closure, quarantines etc (i.e. economic vs saved lives) one thing is certain. Many places in the world will not open their borders and relax their policies until infections rates subside. Until Florida curbs its infection rates the state is going to suffer immense pain and suffering. You can be open, but it does no good if travellers and especially governments see outrageous infections rates relative to other places in the world.

My point? Even if you think the risk is acceptable, by doing a few things you can put your Friends & neighbours back to work faster.

PS - I have no political allegiance, but I do want to see health and prosperity for my neighbours to the south.

Last edited:
Columbus Day weekend, including Monday, looked to be quite successful for both WDW & Universal. Parks still limited by their own capacity restrictions, but it looks like there is a
slight uptick in guest demand and willingness to attend a theme park, even as they become more crowded.

Recently travelled from Canada to Orlando (our border is not closed to air travel).

Although I had no illusions about the impact of COVID on tourism the sight of empty airports, roads, etc was jarring.

As for the theme parks I can’t help but wonder how long even the diminished state of operations are sustainable without further cuts. How long can regional tourism support the parks at their current capacity? It is very painful to see so plainly how many people are out of work.

Edit: One other thought. I find it maddening to hear and personally see how public health measures have become such a divisive issue. Regardless of your opinion on the cost-benefit analysis with respect to lock downs, border closure, quarantines etc (i.e. economic vs saved lives) one thing is certain. Many places in the world will not open their borders and relax their policies until infections rates subside. Until Florida curbs its infection rates the state is going to suffer immense pain and suffering. You can be open, but it does no good if travellers and especially governments see outrageous infections rates relative to other places in the world.

My point? Even if you think the risk is acceptable, by doing a few things you can put your Friends & neighbours back to work faster.

PS - I have no political allegiance, but I do want to see health and prosperity for my neighbours to the south.

Canadian here. Brave of you fellow countryman.

Do they not make you self-isolate in Florida now if you arrive from out of country?

Reactions: HHNSK
Canadian here. Brave of you fellow countryman.

Do they not make you self-isolate in Florida now if you arrive from out of country?

Hi! You currently do not have to isolate on arrival in Florida.

Also, the border closure does not apply to air travel. I did a ton of research before I left and even got an email from the DHS confirming that the ban didnt apply to air travel. No issues in the airport or with customs.

However, Joe is correct. Upon return to Canada you have to quarantine for 14 days. This makes travel pretty much impossible for most. I had a ton of time to take off and decided to go (pretty much have worked non stop all year including through the lock downs in Canada). The return quarantine is no joke as many people are checked at their place of quarantine by law enforcement to ensure they are complying with the federal laws.

Certainly travel is not without risk, but I’ve been very rigid with wearing a mask, hand washing, and doing the best I can to maintain social distancing. There are some activities I normally partake in that I wouldn’t do.

Lord only knows where we will be a year from now. I’m Hopeful for a vaccine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the situation hasn’t changed much for us as Canadians as far as travel goes (too many hurdles to overcome not the least of which are mass inoculation and convincing people to actually take the vaccine). That said I wouldn’t hesitate to go again under the current circumstances, but wouldn’t even think of travelling with children right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeCamel
Ah, true. In New England we never got fall breaks, just the long weekend here/on Veterans Day, then Christmas. Always interesting the timeline of schools operating across the US.
Really? We got fall breaks, supposedly a holdover from kids being needed to harvest potatoes. This was late eighties, early nineties, though, and I gather you're far younger than me.

Really? We got fall breaks, supposedly a holdover from kids being needed to harvest potatoes. This was late eighties, early nineties, though, and I gather you're far younger than me.
Yes, graduated high school 5 years ago, have been working since. We had school thru Christmas then vacations in February, along with April.
HA! What a joke! If I arrived in Florida right now I would isolate FROM Florida in Florida!
My uncle has committed to an Air BnB in the Ft Lauderdale area and is driving down. He’s from DC area so it’s about a 14-15 hour drive I believe so essentially just a day of driving. Sounds kind of nice honestly, of course if you can afford it.

Hi! You currently do not have to isolate on arrival in Florida.

Also, the border closure does not apply to air travel. I did a ton of research before I left and even got an email from the DHS confirming that the ban didnt apply to air travel. No issues in the airport or with customs.

However, Joe is correct. Upon return to Canada you have to quarantine for 14 days. This makes travel pretty much impossible for most. I had a ton of time to take off and decided to go (pretty much have worked non stop all year including through the lock downs in Canada). The return quarantine is no joke as many people are checked at their place of quarantine by law enforcement to ensure they are complying with the federal laws.

Certainly travel is not without risk, but I’ve been very rigid with wearing a mask, hand washing, and doing the best I can to maintain social distancing. There are some activities I normally partake in that I wouldn’t do.

Lord only knows where we will be a year from now. I’m Hopeful for a vaccine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the situation hasn’t changed much for us as Canadians as far as travel goes (too many hurdles to overcome not the least of which are mass inoculation and convincing people to actually take the vaccine). That said I wouldn’t hesitate to go again under the current circumstances, but wouldn’t even think of travelling with children right now.

I knew of the air travel loophole, but just assumed you’d have a 14 day quarantine upon arrival... crazy! Seeing as I’m still working from home, I could get away with it but my partner wouldn’t dare go to Florida right now.

Some interesting WDW estimated attendance facts from Touring plans today. The below numbers are from September when Touring Plans were actually counting people entering the parks.
In the article they mentioned Chapek saying the max is still at 25%, BUT Chapek said October attendance is increasing from the lows of September. Touring Plans added that usual October attendance
is generally 50% of the various park's capacity figures. They also added that the parks may seem crowded due to shorter park hours and less entertainment venues. Anyway, here's the figures
for September when Touring Plans was counting attendance on selected mid Sept. days and extrapolated those figures for the month. . Weekends, of course, busier than weekdays. But these are averaged out....I though this was a fun read, since we've all been
guessing numbers for the most part. Since they had actual counters, it's probably close to actual as an average.

Park..........................Estimated Sept. Average Daily attendance...Maximum Capacity...Percent Capacity
Magic Kingdom.......12,000..............................................................90,000........................13%
Epcot........................18,000..............................................................110,000.....................16%
DHS...........................6,500................................................................60,000.......................11%
Animal Kingdom......8,000................................................................60,000........................13%

Last edited:
Reactions: Disneyhead
Status
Not open for further replies.