Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Animal Kingdom?

Joke's on you, Batuu is a junkyard desert planet, so it's totally in theme

It may well be in theme but the several times I visited I wandered round and walked back out, there was nothing that compelled me to stay there.

I was happy to spend time in Pandora on multiple visits, and will do so again on future visits and have done on past visits.

Galaxies edge whilst rise is great, for me, the rest is lacking character.

If Disney aren't prepared to further invest in AK because they don't think that ROI is high enough to warrant it then they certainly won't think that a ROI is high enough for a new park.

This is basically where we are at after Everest, aka the original reason they adopted FP+/MDX.

Pandora is far better as a theme park land than it will ever be as a movie.

Lets ask CEO of the TWDC Tom Staggs his thoughts on this.... oh wait.

This is basically where we are at after Everest, aka the original reason they adopted FP+/MDX.

Lets ask CEO of the TWDC Tom Staggs his thoughts on this.... oh wait.
I wonder if AK will become the next Epcot

Sit idle, grow a strange fan base, have to be completely overhauled because it sat idle

I wonder if AK will become the next Epcot

Sit idle, grow a strange fan base, have to be completely overhauled because it sat idle
Unlike Epcot, DAK has a steady, timeless base to work off of. It was always good, and the 2016 returns made it great. The main issue that DAK has is a lack of constant expansion.

Unlike Epcot, DAK has a steady, timeless base to work off of. It was always good, and the 2016 returns made it great. The main issue that DAK has is a lack of constant expansion.

Wait how does Rivers of Light make DAK great?:lol:

IMHO the park has some big issues on several fronts, mainly it needs more to do during the day and they need to address Harambe in general.

IMHO the park has some big issues on several fronts, mainly it needs more to do during the day and they need to address Harambe in general.
RoL was faaaaaar from the only thing that happened in 2016. Nighttime lighting and infrastructure was beefed up significantly. Discovery Island got a gorgeous overhaul that left the character but added some practicality. The Tree finished up it’s returns, along with the central plaza. The RoL theater was the big investment in Nighttime show infrastructure (paving the way for any future shows). Tiffins and Nomad Lounge happened (which deserve their own celebration party). This, in addition to general placemaking efforts around the park made the lead-up to Pandora huge.

None of the systemic issues that Epcot had were/are at DAK.

As you said, the big issue is needing more to do; hence me saying that the main thing left to do is expand. There aren’t hollow shells of old buildings just sitting there. No ugly structures blocking up pathways, no outdated/unmaintained premises, etc.

Also, what do you mean “address Harambe in general”? That is generally regarded as the most successful area of the park. At best, Kilamanjaro could use a slightly redone queue, but between the Market and LK Expansion, it’s only gotten better.

The park needs many more attractions/experiences to even begin to come close to a full day park. Eliminate the mess that is Dinorama and begin a systematic updating of the park with more attractions. Until that starts, this park is underserving its guests and will be left behind. I love the Safari and the walkthrough areas. I fully enjoy the rides that are there. However, it always leaves me wishing that there was more to do.

The issue with these large companies is they judge ROI purely on the financials of today, which they’re obligated to report on. There’s such a short term mentality that it becomes important that this 1/4 is better than the comparable 1/4 , and there’s little long term planning in consideration of the ROI of returning customers and the guest experience. Disney have confidence that their customer base is so vast that if people don’t return they’ll just be replaced by others that will...there has to be a point where that thinking ends. But they’re probably right in all honesty. Disney dominate the family, and teen film industry while Universal / Dreamworks churns out tosh like Sing and by offering no competition allow Disney to be such an integral part of most people’s childhood.

The fact AK is over 2 decades old and has less than a dozen rides is ridiculous. It’s a fantastic park, but Disney have no intent on making it the best park it could be. They’re more than happy to let people wait 3 hours for a ride.

Last edited: