Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could just keep one of the coasters (I liked Red a lot better), dramatically shorten the queue, and use the leftover space for other things. That would keep an even split of two major coasters in each park (I'm not counting Flight of the Hippogriff).

A trackless ride would be a good high capacity, all ages ride, and would dovetail nicely with Fantastic Beasts, as mentioned earlier.

As an aside, how long does the DC queue really get? When we when in March, there was only a line from a couple hundred feet before the coaster split. The entire outdoor area and the majority of the castle was empty. We thought it was odd, is that normal?
I think the problem is that you really have to remove both coasters to fit anything major. Otherwise, it'd have to be an oddly placed flat ride or a small show. But maybe they could rework the space. I just think it'd be hard to fit a show building in between DC and HE.

I'd support a Triwizard family coaster (Everest meets Big Bad Wolf) and an Azkaban trackless dark ride similar to Mystic Manor as a DC replacement. Maybe a small Fantastic Beasts show, too.

Reactions: BJCool
I think SLoP will likely be the next IOA project.
Yeah, I would imagine now that Kong has opened and Hulk will reopen soon, they then need the added capacity of SLoP in Toon Lagoon before they even think about changing the Dragon Challenge plot. I don't think DC will get touched for at least another 2-3 years.

Last edited:
This was something they were looking at months ago. I don't remember when. It was a concept that I heard from multiple reliable people here and elsewhere. They may have moved away from it. I dunno. I haven't talked to anyone about anything other than Nintendo in a long time.
Thank goodness, I like DC, even more than Hulk. Just wish they could do something about the queue and lockers.

Reactions: Living_Bread
The coasters are great, but are a massive waste of space. I think they should be removed, TBH, but I'm fine with them staying as well.
Rides in general take up a lot of space, coasters especially, though I get what you mean, DC is compacted together and takes up the whole space rather than being stretched out the way Hulk is for instance.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
I would be in favor of a total take down if they make a new E-ticket that's just as thrilling but not necessarily as intense. Imagine if FJ, Gringotts and the Mummy got together and had a baby, that's what I'd want to replace DC. That would also leave tons of space to expand Hogsmeade with Forbidden Forrest or whatnot.

You can fit over 5 hogsmeade's in DC (sorry it looks like a clown threw up on my map)

hogsmead-in-dc.jpg

Personally I still prefer what Disneyhead once mentioned, to go the Battlestar route and have dueling coasters that are radically different, one intense, the other family.

I would be in favor of a total take down if they make a new E-ticket that's just as thrilling but not necessarily as intense. Imagine if FJ, Gringotts and the Mummy got together and had a baby, that's what I'd want to replace DC. That would also leave tons of space to expand Hogsmeade with Forbidden Forrest or whatnot.

You can fit over 5 hogsmeade's in DC (sorry it looks like a clown threw up on my map)

View attachment 2628
I think Forbidden Forest would be nice as as a slow boat ride, no screens, just strictly top notch AA creatures, have it end with a spider cave and a minor drop.

If it was me.. it'd make it look like the Black Lake and surrounded by the Forbidden Forest. You'd go over a bridge and into the space and the ride would surround the internal queue - and auxiliary pathways that let people explore the Forest/Lake without riding as well. That way you can have boats going toward Hogwarts that look like they're carrying fleets of first years to the school.

From there you can pretty much tell any story you want that takes places either partially or entirely within the forest.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
If it were me, I would use that space to add the quidditch pitch with an dueling interactive dark ride, the forbidden forest full fledged walkthrough and smaller dragon based coaster, and still have room for the shrieking shack haunted attraction. Rather have multiple attractions than one mega attraction. Do what they did with Knockturn Alley and make it mostly indoors for all three and perpetually dark for the forbidden forest, dragon coaster, for the Shrieking Shack. And Quidditch Pitch indoor so while you are in the line you watch and cheer for whatever team riding at the time.

IMO, a great use of the DC plot would be:
a Triwizard Tournament indoor/outdoor suspended family coaster (Everest meets BBW... includes sets, AAs and rockwork) - 44"
an Alien Encounter-style Azkaban show (Death Eaters and Dementors crawling all around you - could have randomized sequences)
a Forbidden Forest trackless dark ride with thestral RVs (centaurs, Grawp, spiders, Shrieking Shack as the finale)
a Quidditch-themed flat ride (elevated like Astro Orbiter)
a smaller version of Black Lake near Hippogriff

It would give IOA a much-needed family coaster, provide another people-eating show, create another high-capacity family dark ride (without being kiddy... more Kong than Cat/Pets) and something low-key for kids to do outside of JP and Seuss.

And it would greatly enhance Hogsmeade/IOA, along with probably increasing overall park capacity since the DC plot would incorporate walking space with this kind of replacement, too.

Of course, Pets is probably #1 on the IOA to-do list.

Last edited:
Azkaban is supposed to be in the middle of the ocean or something from what little we see of it in the 5th(?) movie. How does it make any sense for it to suddenly be next to Hogsmeade?

Status
Not open for further replies.