Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 63.5%

• Total voters
Wasn't the Crichton estate taking back the rights to JP after Dominion? I thought they had a 6-film contract between them and Universal with the new name being used to push the franchise forward? It's been discussed on the JP Mainframe forum and others like it. If this is indeed the case, wouldn't that mean the land would need to have its name changed? I could see them changing it to avoid having to pay royalties.

Wasn't the Crichton estate taking back the rights to JP after Dominion? I thought they had a 6-film contract between them and Universal with the new name being used to push the franchise forward? It's been discussed on the JP Mainframe forum and others like it. If this is indeed the case, wouldn't that mean the land would need to have its name changed? I could see them changing it to avoid having to pay royalties.
This has always confused me - is Jurassic Park not a Universal-owned franchise? I know it obviously originated as a novel, but I assumed the films were all Universal-owned.

Rode on Saturday (we don't ride it a lot so I forgot how much I enjoy it, even in this state). Can also confirm the box is back, but it didn't drop for us. Hopefully it's just getting some work done before it's back online.

As for a possible update, Velocicoaster has cemented my comfort with a full overhaul, should they go that route. However, I wonder how they will modify predator cove, as the layout for the existing ride doesn't match that of the original JP:TR in Hollywood. Namely, where could they fit the Indominous cage, since they don't have the same space on the right of the boat path (where the raptor pen is now in FL).

As far as the mosasaur tank, I could actually see that working into the area just inside the warehouse, from that pre-life area just past the raptor cage up to the bottom of the lift itself. It would have to be a little different from the Hollywood design of the tank, but it would turn what is currently kind of a dead space into a transition from predator cove to T-Rex kingdom.

This has always confused me - is Jurassic Park not a Universal-owned franchise? I know it obviously originated as a novel, but I assumed the films were all Universal-owned.

It’s not, because it was licensed from Crichton to make the movie (if he had written it under the employment of Universal, then they’d have full ownership of it).

As the author of the work he has full copyright rights to reproduce as he sees fit—while it wouldn’t be totally uncommon for the author to forfeit this in perpetuity to a licensee (which I think is how Disney‘s contract with Winnie the Pooh operates), I believe that generally contracts like this are valid a finite amount of time (I *think* 35 years is the standard). So yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if Universal won’t fully own it soon. Granted, they can copyright their expression of the material but if Crichton was involved in the films’ development, he has ownership of those rights as well.

Seems pertinent to the discussion

This map confirms it for me. The R.A Show Building has the Rex and the Dilos but no Raptors. Why would they show these icons for a maintenance building? Because its the T. rex Kingdom. Also the old Raptor Paddock is missing, just an empty slate for something new. I think they will demolish the classic paddock and flesh out the Indominus enclosure, or better yet, float us through an Aviary. Don't think we will get the Mosa tank seeing the icon in the lagoon. Hope I'm wrong, I want it to stay JP just with some updates. But it appears inevitable with how amazing they have made this area in such short time.

This is really interesting. Although this just makes me wish they were able to implement a mosasaurus into that roll.

If anything I hope this just means that River Adventure gets a little attention, and if it becomes JW, hopefully they keep the base ride mostly the same.