Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF) | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While we will have to wait and see what gets announced to replace Shrek, my theory is that if Florida got the Dreamworks theater, it would not be Kung Fu Panda, It would be another Dreamworks film (How To Train Your Dragon or Trolls anyone?) that would debut in Hollywood at the same or around the same time as Orlando. The fact that they are keeping Donkey across the street could be a hint that that Shrek's replacement could be Dreamworks themed. Though even if this turns out to not happen, is it possible the Orlando will get an interchangeable theater attraction like the DW theater at some point in the future?

While we will have to wait and see what gets announced to replace Shrek, my theory is that if Florida got the Dreamworks theater, it would not be Kung Fu Panda, It would be another Dreamworks film (How To Train Your Dragon or Trolls anyone?) that would debut in Hollywood at the same or around the same time as Orlando. The fact that they are keeping Donkey across the street could be a hint that that Shrek's replacement could be Dreamworks themed. Though even if this turns out to not happen, is it possible the Orlando will get an interchangeable theater attraction like the DW theater at some point in the future?
A nice Dreamworks theater would be great at the front of the park, I love how the Hollywood one looks

In my brain it works out to where DMMM is removed and becomes a Trolls show

Shrek becomes Dreamworks theater

and they both get a vintage Hollywood facade/look

A Minions Land replaces Simpsons/Springfield and we get a proper Minions dark ride

A nice Dreamworks theater would be great at the front of the park, I love how the Hollywood one looks

In my brain it works out to where DMMM is removed and becomes a Trolls show

Shrek becomes Dreamworks theater

and they both get a vintage Hollywood facade/look

A Minions Land replaces Simpsons/Springfield and we get a proper Minions dark ride
I believe rumor had that theater ready to go at USF, until the bad reviews and surveys came in about F&F and too many screens. Then Universal backed off.

For all the reasons I’m not big on Villain Con, this is a big one. Especially with a new park opening in 2025. It’s so strange how Universal, who is trying to market more to children, don’t use their biggest film IP that is a children film franchise and a billion dollar franchise at that. It’s so baffling to me.

Well, this is what happens when you have more than two (non-water) parks. ESPECIALLY when you're building one in the aftermath of one of the worst things to ever happen to the amusement industry. One of them is going to get the short shrift. That's what happened to Epcot.

I swear… only fans could look at a passive theater experience with bouncing chairs and a an interactive, walk-through shooter and say they’re the same thing.

Who said such a thing?

The implication was that rumors indicated the Dreamworks Theater was nixed purely because of general "screens" concerns; I then questioned how accurate that might be, given that a screen-driven attraction (if current indications are to be believed) is still going in that space.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Who said such a thing?

The implication was that rumors indicated the Dreamworks Theater was nixed purely because of general "screens" concerns; I then questioned how accurate that might be, given that a screen-driven attraction (if current indications are to be believed) is still going in that space.
I’ve made this argument numerous times: it’s not about the medium, it’s about the experience. When there are complaints about “too many screens,” or “too many coasters,” those are generalized complaints about similar ride experiences. The “screenz” arguments was never about screens as a narrative delivery medium (people don’t really complain about the use of screens in Transformers, Gringotts, or Bourne), the complaints are about too many rides where the guests basically do nothing more than just sit in a bouncing seat while watching a movie. The “screenz” argument is actually about static simulators.

Fallon
Simpsons
Shrek
Minions
80% of F&F

All those attractions have nothing more physical than a bouncing seat and nothing more to watch than a chase/escape. They’re passive simulators in a park full of passive simulators. Concerns about another Spider-man/Transformers at EU or another robo-coaster being too similar to existing experiences are great examples of what the screenz argument ACTUALLY is… people just never bothered looking past the short-hand.

Villain-Con is not a passive/static simulator. It’s not a simulator at all. Neither is the Potter VR ride (it’s an interactive simulator, which is closer to Smuggler’s Run than anything at Uni currently). They’ll be fine.

I’ve made this argument numerous times: it’s not about the medium, it’s about the experience. When there are complaints about “too many screens,” or “too many coasters,” those are generalized complaints about similar ride experiences. The “screenz” arguments was never about screens as a narrative delivery medium (people don’t really complain about the use of screens in Transformers, Gringotts, or Bourne), the complaints are about too many rides where the guests basically do nothing more than just sit in a bouncing seat while watching a movie. The “screenz” argument is actually about static simulators.

Fallon
Simpsons
Shrek
Minions
80% of F&F

All those attractions have nothing more physical than a bouncing seat and nothing more to watch than a chase/escape. They’re passive simulators in a park full of passive simulators. Concerns about another Spider-man/Transformers at EU or another robo-coaster being too similar to existing experiences are great examples of what the screenz argument ACTUALLY is… people just never bothered looking past the short-hand.

Villain-Con is not a passive/static simulator. It’s not a simulator at all. Neither is the Potter VR ride (it’s an interactive simulator, which is closer to Smuggler’s Run than anything at Uni currently). They’ll be fine.

As someone who's been part of the so-called "screenz" debate around here, I have to disagree with your characterization of it (some of it may be semantic/definitional differences), but rather than belabor that, I'll simply say that we're in decidedly different camps!

Last edited:

See: Epcot

I'd also add in that SCREENS really became a thing once Universal started lapping Disney in new attractions. "Well of course Universal is building this quicker than Pandora, it's JUST SCREENS."

My family would be considered general public, and they disagree. They are sick of screens period, no matter whether you are standing or sitting or shooting a gun, whatever. They want to see animatronics and visual scenes with real life things. Things that they can't see at their local theme park at home. Things like the raptors in the queue of Velocicoaster.

My family would be considered general public, and they disagree. They are sick of screens period, no matter whether you are standing or sitting or shooting a gun, whatever. They want to see animatronics and visual scenes with real life things. Things that they can't see at their local theme park at home. Things like the raptors in the queue of Velocicoaster.

Yeah people here are getting too hung up on this vitriol from Disney fans that only exists (at least to the extent they convey) in their heads. Sure, that’s a thing, but the fact is too many simulators and screens are a COMMON narrative in customer surveys at UO. It really started with Kong and continued on as the CAPEX planned since 2016 have come to fruition. My dad is an example; he’s as general public as they get, and even acknowledges that “ride the movies” must mean “be around 3-D screens”…but he gets super nauseous after about two of those rides, to the point where he can’t even do the physical experiences afterward. Doesn’t matter if it’s Shrek, Simpsons, Minions (although I think Fallon was his worst experience ever).

One thing this community DOES get right is the dissonance between “Disney fan” reaction to roller coasters and GP reaction to roller coasters. The GP does hate screens, but customers ask for more roller coasters at UO all the time. Hating roller coasters does seem to be pretty much exclusive to online comments.

What's this local park at home are you speaking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's this local park at home are you speaking about?
Exactly because outside of Disney and Universal screen or simulator based attractions are not very common at your local amusement park.

Not to invalidate that poster’s concerns but just saying those type of experiences are extremely limited outside of these two companies.

No mater how you turn it Uni has a lot of rides that when you turn of the screen you are left with not much else.
I love amazing screen rides but like coasters and dark rides there needs to be a balance and that balance is off at Universal Studios IMHO.
I don’t think anybody is disputing that. Personally I enjoy all the rides at the park whether they screen or physical based.

Reactions: Ken96