Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Star Tours (DHS)

Oh well I mean they have 2 simulators now with the millennium falcon so I don’t know what could replace star tours down the line.
They could easily returns it to not be Star Wars anymore or demolish it altogether, along with Backlot Express to open up room for something different.

The entire parcel of Star Tours (building+queue+unused space between the simulator hallway and backstage road) is roughly 60k square feet. Size comparisons in sq ft:

ET: 70k
Mexico Pavillion: 70k
Buzz+Monsters: 60k
Haunted Mansion: 60k
Ratatouille: 60k (this is only including the show building itself and the facade)
Spider-Man: 60k (Ride only; queue adds more)
Little Mermaid: 55k (the building itself is only 30k)
Transformers: 50k
Frozen Ever After: 40k

They can do a lot if the area was demolished and rebuilt. I really don't see a need to replace Star Tours anytime soon when the black box ride is coming in a couple years and Animation Courtyard should go before Echo Lake gets messed with. It wouldn't make sense to demolish a D ticket before two glorified preview centers and two shows, and I think overlaying it would be a waste unless it was cheap.

Last edited:
The entire parcel of Star Tours (building+queue+unused space between the simulator hallway and backstage road) is roughly 60k square feet. Size comparisons in sq ft:

ET: 70k
Mexico Pavillion: 70k
Buzz+Monsters: 60k
Haunted Mansion: 60k
Ratatouille: 60k (this is only including the show building itself and the facade)
Spider-Man: 60k (Ride only; queue adds more)
Little Mermaid: 55k (the building itself is only 30k)
Transformers: 50k
Frozen Ever After: 40k

They can do a lot if the area was demolished and rebuilt. I really don't see a need to replace Star Tours anytime soon when the black box ride is coming in a couple years and Animation Courtyard should go before Echo Lake gets messed with. It wouldn't make sense to demolish a D ticket before two glorified preview centers and two shows, and I think overlaying it would be a waste unless it was cheap.
Plus, Star Tours can be the original trilogy ride, so you can still see Darth Vader in DHS.

Plus, Star Tours can be the original trilogy ride, so you can still see Darth Vader in DHS.
Personally, I feel like it's just too much Star Wars with the franchise now having a dedicated land. I wouldn't be opposed to a third land inside of SWGE, but a ride on the outside just makes little sense now.

I do agree that the OT characters still should have their place though. I think it's very possible that Batuu could work as that place, but they would need to back off of all of the talk of it being set specifically within the New Trilogy. A speeder bike coaster as a third attraction would be fun and could call back to the original trilogy (of course with Tron coming to MK, this type of coaster wouldn't be as unique to the resort anymore upon opening).

To bring it back to Star Tours, I think we're looking at it sticking around at least through the 50th, so 2022 would be the earliest movement would occur. I think there's two possible things that will happen: Either an overlay that can be shared with Disneyland (Incredibles, Big Hero 6, etc) OR complete demolition as a part of an Echo Lake project, possibly with something to do with Indiana Jones. Just educated guesses, but Star Tours itself staying I don't think is something that will happen long-term.

Is there anywhere else they can move the Jedi Training Academy? I would assume keeping that open for the kiddies is the main reason we aren't likely to see any action near Star Tours/Backlot Express for a while.

Is there anywhere else they can move the Jedi Training Academy? I would assume keeping that open for the kiddies is the main reason we aren't likely to see any action near Star Tours/Backlot Express for a while.

I mean, JTA is actually set around the new trilogy since Kylo is in it. I can imagine a few ways they could integrate it into SW:GE. I don’t think they would put in the effort to do it, but they could if they really wanted to lol.

Also, I know that DHS is moving away from its studios theme so it won’t happen, but the best way to keep Star Tours would be to make that corner a Lucasfilm land. We already have ST and IJ over there and now we could finally get the ride everyone’s been clamoring: Howard the Duck. :lol:

I mean, JTA is actually set around the new trilogy since Kylo is in it. I can imagine a few ways they could integrate it into SW:GE. I don’t think they would put in the effort to do it, but they could if they really wanted to lol.

Also, I know that DHS is moving away from its studios theme so it won’t happen, but the best way to keep Star Tours would be to make that corner a Lucasfilm land. We already have ST and IJ over there and now we could finally get the ride everyone’s been clamoring: Howard the Duck. :lol:
No love for Willow?

Personally, I feel like it's just too much Star Wars with the franchise now having a dedicated land. I wouldn't be opposed to a third land inside of SWGE, but a ride on the outside just makes little sense now.

I do agree that the OT characters still should have their place though. I think it's very possible that Batuu could work as that place, but they would need to back off of all of the talk of it being set specifically within the New Trilogy. A speeder bike coaster as a third attraction would be fun and could call back to the original trilogy (of course with Tron coming to MK, this type of coaster wouldn't be as unique to the resort anymore upon opening).

To bring it back to Star Tours, I think we're looking at it sticking around at least through the 50th, so 2022 would be the earliest movement would occur. I think there's two possible things that will happen: Either an overlay that can be shared with Disneyland (Incredibles, Big Hero 6, etc) OR complete demolition as a part of an Echo Lake project, possibly with something to do with Indiana Jones. Just educated guesses, but Star Tours itself staying I don't think is something that will happen long-term.

I think it has to go but I’d be sad to see it go. It’s a classic and it’s still a fun ride to go on, I’ll always make a point of going on it.

It's a shame, because from top to bottom, queue, experience, nostalgia - Star Tours >>> Smugglers Run, even with antiquated tech.

Probably meant for the other thread...but I've been on SR about 12 times now, and I was getting sick of it by the 4th go through. It's not that intense, and there isn't much outside of being in the Falcon that lends itself to people going "oh man, just like the movies". If anything, it copies off of Solo more than any other entry.

Add a few more ride options and maybe I'll change my mind...you just need to sub out the video of Correllia before getting in the cockpit and boom, good to go for multiple variations.

In retrospect maybe it would have been a better idea (and possibly cheaper) to have just moved Star Tours into the area they built Smugglers Run. That way they would have had one OT ride and one NT ride in the land to keep everyone happy.

MF could have still been there but as a walkthrough attraction and photo opportunity.

Ah, timeline fixed haha

I hated the idea of jumping from Phantom Menace to Rise of Skywalker
Yea, they started doing it this way since after the second new film.

Of course, we still have Darth Vader mixed with prequel settings, so it doesn’t always make sense even when they omit the new trilogy.

I say knock down all the time line constraints at GE and stop taking it so seriously. Have all the characters from the SW universe appear there and make something up...”Take your picture with hologram Darth Vader!”

The original SE:GE was dead on arrival. If Disney’s not sticking to a tightly themed immersive land designed for interaction and play, then readjust. Do a Marvel overlay for ST and pack GE with all things SW.

I say knock down all the time line constraints at GE and stop taking it so seriously. Have all the characters from the SW universe appear there and make something up...”Take your picture with hologram Darth Vader!”

The original SE:GE was dead on arrival. If Disney’s not sticking to a tightly themed immersive land designed for interaction and play, then readjust. Do a Marvel overlay for ST and pack GE with all things SW.
I've been saying that they should move Jedi Training to the resistance base in GE... That's a show that actually DOES feature a hologram Vader, so it fits just fine.

I have no problem keeping Star Tours open at DL and DHS for awhile though. It's a fine attraction, and Hollywood Studios needs the capacity. It's not like Disney's going to be ready to invest in new projects for awhile with so many to complete and others cancelled.

I've been saying that they should move Jedi Training to the resistance base in GE... That's a show that actually DOES feature a hologram Vader, so it fits just fine.

I have no problem keeping Star Tours open at DL and DHS for awhile though. It's a fine attraction, and Hollywood Studios needs the capacity. It's not like Disney's going to be ready to invest in new projects for awhile with so many to complete and others cancelled.
ST is a celebration of the old, GE is a celebration of the new...They can both co-exist

I would like to see them build another Star Wars Land based on Ep 1-6 and watch everyone leave Galaxy's Edge

It’s a great idea to place JTA over on the Resistance side of GE. Train the young Jedis to battle the First Order.

ST is a celebration of the old, GE is a celebration of the new...They can both co-exist

I would like to see them build another Star Wars Land based on Ep 1-6 and watch everyone leave Galaxy's Edge

For me, SW deserved an entire park. There are so many locations and potential attractions that it never made sense to do one land. But GE was a smart play at adding to the SW universe, it just kind of backfired with placing it within the timeline of the Resistance trilogy.

Right now, the problem for DHS is that you have a fun take on the entire universe with ST sitting right next to the entrance of the serious in canon take with GE. The placement is an issue, whereas DL has the luxury of having the two spaced out across the park.

The smartest and most impractical move is to make everyone ride ST in order to “travel” to Batuu.