General Movies & TV Thread | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s obviously a pretty political movie, but it’s far better than the first one. The debutant ball and the women’s clinic scenes are two of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen.

It’s obviously a pretty political movie, but it’s far better than the first one. The debutant ball and the women’s clinic scenes are two of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen.

I think having more of a scripted plot and not relying on the public for a gag, it made for a far stronger movie. The daughter was excellent, you could see her starting to break a few times which just made it better.

This exceeded my expectations and I agree, it's better than the original.

Reactions: Grabnar and Legacy
Since I thought the original was great, this is a good sign. Of course, I look at Baron Cohen's stuff as more than just movies - he uses absurdity to speak truth to power in a way we haven't seen in a long long time.

Since I thought the original was great, this is a good sign. Of course, I look at Baron Cohen's stuff as more than just movies - he uses absurdity to speak truth to power in a way we haven't seen in a long long time.
Weirdly, I think this movie doesn’t actual do that all that well. Maybe because we’ve been forewarned of the “biggest” gags in the film (Giuliani, CPAC, and the rally), or maybe because there’s no real moment of “comeuppance” (except one glorious moment in the debutant ball). This movie works because his schtick is nested within a sweet, compelling story, and the gags they pull actually have narrative weight.

Borat's original plot of him trying to find his wife, Pamela Anderson, to set up the interactions worked fine because it was just for that. But I really enjoyed that this one's plot of his daughter and their scripted scenes that are quite endearing and just complement the "pranks" better i.e. the daughter and the women's meeting or the manual.

Edit: To add, if you email jonnythemonkey@gmail.com you get a special message! Here's mine: Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.26.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Watched it last night thanks to this thread. So funny and surprisingly so good.

Looking ahead to awards season, the New York Film Critics Circle Awards came out and here are the winners:

Best Picture:
First Cow

Best Director:
Nomadland

Best Screenplay:
Eliza Hittman - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Best Actress:
Sidney Flanigan - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Best Actor:
Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Best Supporting Actress:
Maria Bakalova - Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm

Best Supporting Actor:
Chadwick Boseman - Da 5 Bloods

Best Cinematography:
Small Axe Anthology

Best Animated Film:
Wolfwalkers

Best Non-Fiction Film (Documentary):
Time

Best Foreign Film:
Bacurau

Best First Film:
The Forty-Year-Old Version

Special Awards:
Spike Lee, Kino Lorber

Reactions: HHNManics
Production is stopping once again in LA. Just as things were ramping back up, we're headed back for a shutdown. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens on the east coast, too.

Not sure really really where to put this yet so i'll just leave this here... I really hope this is just a cameo type thing and all of the consequences of Endgame aren't undone by the multiverse.

Reactions: Scott W.
Not sure really really where to put this yet so i'll just leave this here... I really hope this is just a cameo type thing and all of the consequences of Endgame aren't undone by the multiverse.

My favourite rumour I've read is that it will be young Steve as a flashback to first movie liberating the soldiers and having a young Magneto.

Although, I would love to see Secret Wars being the next movie they head towards.

My favourite rumour I've read is that it will be young Steve as a flashback to first movie liberating the soldiers and having a young Magneto.

Although, I would love to see Secret Wars being the next movie they head towards.
I have long thought that Secret Wars will be the next Avengers type movie.

I have long thought that Secret Wars will be the next Avengers type movie.

I think it makes for a good last hurrah for many of the actors and depending on the version, they could justify bringing back Iron Man which would be ridiculous but I don't care.

And then you film extra footage to have the Deadpool version and everybody loses their minds again.

I'm genuinely so excited about the idea.