Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Movies & TV Thread

Depends if you sold your Doge position before or after Elon called crypto a “hustle”. It was a great night for me :lol:
For me it was just bad writing. But for DOGE, I gave my brother 100 bucks to invest in Doge on Robinhood (I didn't/don't have an account). This was in January when it was like 6 cents, and when it dipped to 4 or so in the next couple of days HE PANICKED & SOLD WITHOUT ASKING ME. When it peaked last month I was...and am still heartbroken at what could've been money for college. At least there's always the Navy for college.

For me it was just bad writing. But for DOGE, I gave my brother 100 bucks to invest in Doge on Robinhood (I didn't/don't have an account). This was in January when it was like 6 cents, and when it dipped to 4 or so in the next couple of days HE PANICKED & SOLD WITHOUT ASKING ME. When it peaked last month I was...and am still heartbroken at what could've been money for college. At least there's always the Navy for college.
I bought at $0.03 back in January and then sold off fairly quickly because I just thought it seemed like an investment that wasn’t really going anywhere. I don’t even like to think of what could’ve been as it’s too depressing, but I still came out with a nice profit.

NBC is tapping out of the Golden Globes.

I doubt that stands, as the HFPA is going to be forced to go further in their efforts to diversify. As long as they do that, i'd bet NBC backs off of this. This reminds me of the whole AMC/Universal argument with AMC saying they wouldn't show Universal movies anymore... until the two came to an agreement where AMC gets a cut of the box office.

Pretty much every major studio is standing up against the HFPA right now, so they kinda had to do this.

I really don't care about award shows any more

None seem to speak to me...same goes with Video game awards. Too many voices wanting things to win for other reasons than a film/song/game being the best made

Can someone explain why they are? I thought viewership was better this year.

It's the opposite--the Golden Globes and the Oscars both had the lowest viewerships they've had in years, with Golden at 6.9 Million and the Oscars at 10.6 million (near 56% drop for the Oscars, and a 63% drop for GG's).

I really don't care about award shows any more

None seem to speak to me...same goes with Video game awards. Too many voices wanting things to win for other reasons than a film/song/game being the best made

I'd argue The Game Awards is one of the few groups' that have found a really good method of working as a viable awards show that can be marketable. I've been one of those on the side of the coin that if the Oscars or Golden Globes shift to global-viewership free (while heavily marketable), it could be a good chance to bring back viewership. I will not be surprised if in a few years, we see more groups shift to streaming on sites like Youtube or Twitch, or if they have to uphold contracts for the case of the Academy, Disney using Disney+ and Hulu as exclusive hubs to watch that of the Oscars.

It's the opposite--the Golden Globes and the Oscars both had the lowest viewerships they've had in years, with Golden at 6.9 Million and the Oscars at 10.6 million (near 56% drop for the Oscars, and a 63% drop for GG's).

I'd argue The Game Awards is one of the few groups' that have found a really good method of working as a viable awards show that can be marketable. I've been one of those on the side of the coin that if the Oscars or Golden Globes shift to global-viewership free (while heavily marketable), it could be a good chance to bring back viewership. I will not be surprised if in a few years, we see more groups shift to streaming on sites like Youtube or Twitch, or if they have to uphold contracts for the case of the Academy, Disney using Disney+ and Hulu as exclusive hubs to watch that of the Oscars.
Sure but I still see many outlets having reasons for votes vs what is just the best game.

Its just my opinion, but I see games like ghosts of tsunami losing to Last of Us 2....and I see one get talked about wayyyy more than the other. I think Last of us two story wise might be stronger but gameplay wise plus the Free Co-op (which is really fun) loses to me it feels like people in the industry pushing for one dev team over another. Buts its hard we all have opinion's and I think some places do a better job talking about game of the year because they can literally do a 2 hour Podcast on it and talk about why.

Overall I'm just kinda over award shows, they are just not that fun to watch any more and most the time seem more like ads vs really celebrating new films/music/games. Hell the hypest part of the game awards are trailers..lol
Which I get it but its also kinda funny

Sure but I still see many outlets having reasons for votes vs what is just the best game.

Its just my opinion, but I see games like ghosts of tsunami losing to Last of Us 2....and I see one get talked about wayyyy more than the other. I think Last of us two story wise might be stronger but gameplay wise plus the Free Co-op (which is really fun) loses to me it feels like people in the industry pushing for one dev team over another. Buts its hard we all have opinion's and I think some places do a better job talking about game of the year because they can literally do a 2 hour Podcast on it and talk about why.

Overall I'm just kinda over award shows, they are just not that fun to watch any more and most the time seem more like ads vs really celebrating new films/music/games. Hell the hypest part of the game awards are trailers..lol
Which I get it but its also kinda funny
Joker was much more talked about than Parasite, but Parasite still won Best Picture in 2020 over Joker and other movies like Jojo Rabbit and Marriage story, which were also more talked about than Parasite. Just because it's a more talked about film/game doesn't mean it's the best though. It just means it was a AAA-title with brand recognition. Ghost of Tsushima was a new IP, so of course it was less talked about.

Joker was much more talked about than Parasite, but Parasite still won Best Picture in 2020 over Joker and other movies like Jojo Rabbit and Marriage story, which were also more talked about than Parasite. Just because it's a more talked about film/game doesn't mean it's the best though. It just means it was a AAA-title with brand recognition. Ghost of Tsushima was a new IP, so of course it was less talked about.

I'd like to add to that, that for the sake of gaming it also can be applied into a lot of other factors. Especially on a technological level; there's more variables that have to be discussed when it comes to panelist decisions backed by that of the audience.

The Game Awards acts as if the Audience can act as a second party, involved, but not having the definitive overall say. That goes for those in the group of voters from across the game journalism and game industry.

Good. I'm pretty tired of award shows and the glorification of the actors. Also I read the reason why NBC pulled out which is totally understandable.

I mean Joker was talked about for the wrong reason, The main actor was amazing everything else was just ok

Really think they missed the mark on mental health with that film

As for games Gamers/the people vote complain about sequels all day...then they vote for one most end of the years. It's not every year some years think we have stand out hits like God of War/Red Dead 2, or Breathe of the Wild but other years we just have some game win and I really doubt will be talked about years from now. Maybe its just who I watch/talk to but no one is still talking about Last of Us 2 but just my two cents. Like I said, I don't care about award shows and seems most people are tried of them as well

Omg I’m kinda lowkey loving this Golden Globes cancellation. We can have something more officially a celebrity drunken awards show that doesn’t try and treat itself like the drunk Oscars, so
I’m cool with all this.

Omg I’m kinda lowkey loving this Golden Globes cancellation. We can have something more officially a celebrity drunken awards show that doesn’t try and treat itself like the drunk Oscars, so
I’m cool with all this.

Both are boring and not even credible compared to the past. Now its whatever studio has the most name recognition or best gift baskets with the occasional lets award the right films as the winner.

Both are boring and not even credible compared to the past. Now its whatever studio has the most name recognition or best gift baskets with the occasional lets award the right films as the winner.
Oh absolutely, but the Globes could still somehow improve however.

I still like awards shows for highlighting films that I haven’t even heard of. Parasite would have never been on my register if it didn’t win Best Picture.

I still like awards shows for highlighting films that I haven’t even heard of. Parasite would have never been on my register if it didn’t win Best Picture.
Get AMC A-list or join the Sub Reddit

That's how I'm more in on what's going on with low budget films.