General Movies & TV Thread | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Omg I’m kinda lowkey loving this Golden Globes cancellation. We can have something more officially a celebrity drunken awards show that doesn’t try and treat itself like the drunk Oscars, so
I’m cool with all this.
The Globes are corrupt (Emily In Paris scandal is proof) and there’s only 87 voting members compared to over 1000 members of The Academy. It’s also lacking diversity as well, as all 87 are white.

It’s bad all around and has no real legitimacy.

I must know what this is.
Basically, 30 of the 87 HFPA members were flown out to Paris when the show was filming in 2019 and put up in a 5-star hotel for a week. Fast forward to this Golden Globes, a show which many of the members gave a rotten review for was nominated for Best Series Comedy/Musical over things like I May Destroy You, which were critically acclaimed. One member claimed that they were "treated like kings and queens".

The same type of thing happened when The Tourist was nominated for Best Picture back in 2010 after having a 20% RT Score, and again many members of the HFPA giving it negative reviews.

• Wow
Reactions: Tristan
The Globes are corrupt (Emily In Paris scandal is proof) and there’s only 87 voting members compared to over 1000 members of The Academy. It’s also lacking diversity as well, as all 87 are white.

lol

87 people telling us what the best film of the year is. Yeah, no clue how people watch these even without the BS it's just none normal people telling us what Art is best.

At the same time while its dumb, it does hurt some small films not to have award shows...so I don't know sucks with the Internet people can't just look things up and make up their own mind

lol

87 people telling us what the best film of the year is. Yeah, no clue how people watch these even without the BS it's just none normal people telling us what Art is best.

At the same time while its dumb, it does hurt some small films not to have award shows...so I don't know sucks with the Internet people can't just look things up and make up their own mind
And not even 87 people that are involved in the industry other than them reporting on it. There's no actors, directors, screenwriters, etc, that vote like The Academy has. It's just 87 people who happen to live in LA, but are reporting for a foreign media outlet.

Not all are white but zero are black. They do have Asian and Latino members.

Not all are white but zero are black. They do have Asian and Latino members.
Even still, they need to diversify. And that doesn't even mean removing members, it just means add the 87 +1 that most studios are calling for. The reason for the +1 is so that new members outweigh the old members. The problem is the HFPA doesn't want to do this.

Even still, they need to diversify. And that doesn't even mean removing members, it just means add the 87 +1 that most studios are calling for. The reason for the +1 is so that new members outweigh the old members. The problem is the HFPA doesn't want to do this.
Once again we have the internet...why do we need these shows? Look up movie reviews, sort by new on your AMC app its really not hard to find indie films it might be hard for some to see them but with streaming its pretty easy.

Maybe this is just because I grew up with GSN, but the Press Your Luck revival I find to be quite good. Plenty of episodes are on Hulu and it airs Wednesday’s at 8:00 on ABC. Elizabeth Banks was a perfect choice for it.

Happy to be laughed at, maybe it’s because I grew up with the Game Show Network, but anyone else a game show lover here? The ABC revival game shows are frankly some of my favorite things each week.

Press Your Luck is a blast and I love Elizabeth Banks.

$100,000 Pyramid has never been my favorite game, and celeb level as you could imagine during Covid season is lowwww. Some SNL people I enjoy but yikes tough one.

I unashamedly love March Game, idk why, I freaking love it.

I love watching with my parents, so it’s definitely a nostalgia thing, but I watch on my own too when I’m not home and in Portland. Idk random thought, but I figured I’d recommend for others who enjoy but aren’t sure if they’d like it. All steam on Hulu!

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh