General Movies & TV Thread | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Episode 5 of X-Men97 might be one of the best things Marvel Studios has put out period. One of the best mutant stories outside of the comics too.
Xmen 97 is by far my favorite show of this year so far

(fallout comes out today and haven't watched Shogun yet)

Anyone think that the Dark Knight was great in its first two acts but then became a bit of a slog in the final third? Cause I had the exact opposite reaction when watching a re release on theatres today.

Many have decried the performances of Bale’s Bat-voice and Katie Holmes as Rachel but I have a more mixed opinion on both. In Begins, sometimes Bale sounded impressive but in other scenes he sounded just like a guy failing to sound tough. In the next movie, Bale on the whole had a more deeper voice which works great on some cases, however in a lot of them he just sounded rather strange and bizarre; which unfortunately kinda blunts the effectiveness of the last third of the movie (where he sounds the worst). The interrogation scene with Joker was probably his best performance as Batman in the whole series. I don’t remember how he was in TDKR.

As for Katie, yeah her line delivery sounds wooden mostly. However, I think she always does a good job with the facial expressions, like the car scene for example. Rachel‘s character is more effective overall in Begins, and I liked Katie’s Rachel moreso than Gyllenhall’s (that’s little fault on the actress though, and moreso how her role was flattened to just being part of a love triangle).

Anyone think that the Dark Knight was great in its first two acts but then became a bit of a slog in the final third? Cause I had the exact opposite reaction when watching a re release on theatres today.

Many have decried the performances of Bale’s Bat-voice and Katie Holmes as Rachel but I have a more mixed opinion on both. In Begins, sometimes Bale sounded impressive but in other scenes he sounded just like a guy failing to sound tough. In the next movie, Bale on the whole had a more deeper voice which works great on some cases, however in a lot of them he just sounded rather strange and bizarre; which unfortunately kinda blunts the effectiveness of the last third of the movie (where he sounds the worst). The interrogation scene with Joker was probably his best performance as Batman in the whole series. I don’t remember how he was in TDKR.

As for Katie, yeah her line delivery sounds wooden mostly. However, I think she always does a good job with the facial expressions, like the car scene for example. Rachel‘s character is more effective overall in Begins, and I liked Katie’s Rachel moreso than Gyllenhall’s (that’s little fault on the actress though, and moreso how her role was flattened to just being part of a love triangle).

The Dark knight for me has one of the best opening ever

The Joker is so interesting and while I think they killed it with Two face...the film does get a little long.

But that's just me I think most films should be under 2 hours.

I didn't care for either leading lady....they were fine but..I pretty much forget they are in the film. When I think of these films I think of the Batman, Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow, Liam Neeson and....sadly Bane which...I just don't care for this version of Bane and I never enjoyed the third film besides the one scene when Batman returns during the cop chase

I will admit without this Bane we would have never gotten the best Bane in the Harley Quinn show

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Saw Civil War last night and woof, what a film!

In Civil War, we follow a group of photo-journalists as they trek across a war-torn US to interview the President (Nick Offerman). Leigh (Kirsten Dunst) is a hardened war photographer, Joel (Wagner Moura) is her friend and colleague who works for Reuters, Sammy (Stephen McKinley Henderson) is an aging but wise journalist, and Jesse (Cailee Spaeny) is a young photo-journalist who idolizes Leigh.

It doesn’t take long for Jesse and Leigh to form a bond, and Leigh quietly makes it her mission to protect and watch out for Jesse, no matter the cost. As the film progresses, we watch Leigh’s tough-as-nails exterior begin to crumble. Meanwhile, Jesse slowly grows more reckless and jaded. The character arcs for these two are incredible and gripping. Kirstin Dunst plays stoic very well. Leigh presents herself as emotionless, but we see how the events she witnesses and lives through deeply effect and traumatize her.

Cailee Spaeny shines as Jesse, a beautiful young girl who tags along with Leigh and “friends”, hoping she can learn a thing or two and catch some killer pics along the way. She starts out green-behind-the-ears. What she sees shakes her up, but as the gang treks onwards to D.C., she begins to change. Spaeny nails her role with impressive ease.

Wagner Moura (who previously voiced The Wolf/Death in Puss in Boots: the Last Wish) is phenomenal as the loose, care-free Joel, who starts out excited and thrilled about the civil war raging across the U.S. Naturally, his attitude will change as the stakes become a bit too personal for him. Stephen McKinley Henderson is one of the great character actors of our time, and he is incredibly lovable as Sammy, the softy of the group. He's very experienced, and his time on-the-job has taught him invaluable lessons he doesn't hesitate to share with others.

Civil War gives audiences a peek into the lives of war-time photo-journalists, what they have to do, and what they have to turn themselves into in order to do their jobs properly/effectively. It’s pretty disturbing, as our characters can appear emotionless, insensitive, careless, and incautious at times. They don’t think when they snap their pics, but it’s done so that those viewing their snapshots can. Ultimately, you’ll find yourself empathizing with and caring for our roving group of photo-journalists by the end.

When Civil War starts, the U.S. has already fallen. A corrupt President has disbanded the FBI, authorized the use of air strikes against American civilians (presumably protesters), and is now in his third-term (He’s essentially Trump without Trump’s mannerisms and way of speaking). Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Wyoming, Washington (State), Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, and North and South Dakota have seceded from the Union.

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana have formed the Florida Alliance. Texas and California have formed the Western Forces. Utah, Wyoming, Washington (State), Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, and North and South Dakota have formed The New People’s Army. The remaining states are loyal to the former U.S./ The Govt. . They are all fighting each other non-stop.

Civil War feels real to how a Civil War in the U.S. might play out. Most have forgotten who they are fighting and why. The war has turned into a game of: “There’s people over there trying to kill us. We have to kill them first.” The cinematography by Rob Hardy is outstanding. It’s often haunting, always gorgeous. The production design by Caty Maxey is superb.

The U.S. is almost unrecognizable, having been turned into a dystopian nightmare. Some buildings burn, others crumble. Forests blaze long into the night, shopping malls stand desolate, abandoned cars litter/clog the highway, crashed helicopters adorn parking lots, artillery fire lights up the night sky, and football stadiums have been turned into shelters for the less-fortunate. Civil War is A24’s most expensive film to date, costing the studio $50 million dollars to produce. You can tell, as the scope of the film is breath-taking.

Alex Garland directs and writes. His direction is expertly done as usual, and the screenplay is strong. Garland is mostly known for his sci-fi sensibilities. With Civil War, he takes a more grounded, realistic approach towards his subject matter. In other hands, Civil War could be big and bombastic, but for the most part it’s not. It often feels more intimate and personal despite the film’s large canvas.

Civil War does play host to some action, but this is not an action film. It’s not necessarily a fun watch as the proceedings are often tense, gripping, horrifying, disturbing, and deeply affecting. The Winter Wonderland scene, Jesse Plemons’ scene, and the final 20 minutes or so are bound to go down as some of the most memorable cinematic moments of 2024.

Civil War comments on the divided nation we currently find ourselves in, and provides a stark warning for the path we might be headed down in the near future (it also doesn’t take sides). With expert direction, a strong screenplay, superb acting, and stunning production design and cinematography, Civil War firmly establishes itself as one of the best films of 2024. It will make you feel like you’ve been through a war. Expect this one to linger long after the screen fades to black.

5 STARS

Saw Civil War last night and woof, what a film!

In Civil War, we follow a group of photo-journalists as they trek across a war-torn US to interview the President (Nick Offerman). Leigh (Kirsten Dunst) is a hardened war photographer, Joel (Wagner Moura) is her friend and colleague who works for Reuters, Sammy (Stephen McKinley Henderson) is an aging but wise journalist, and Jesse (Cailee Spaeny) is a young photo-journalist who idolizes Leigh.

It doesn’t take long for Jesse and Leigh to form a bond, and Leigh quietly makes it her mission to protect and watch out for Jesse, no matter the cost. As the film progresses, we watch Leigh’s tough-as-nails exterior begin to crumble. Meanwhile, Jesse slowly grows more reckless and jaded. The character arcs for these two are incredible and gripping. Kirstin Dunst plays stoic very well. Leigh presents herself as emotionless, but we see how the events she witnesses and lives through deeply effect and traumatize her.

Cailee Spaeny shines as Jesse, a beautiful young girl who tags along with Leigh and “friends”, hoping she can learn a thing or two and catch some killer pics along the way. She starts out green-behind-the-ears. What she sees shakes her up, but as the gang treks onwards to D.C., she begins to change. Spaeny nails her role with impressive ease.

Wagner Moura (who previously voiced The Wolf/Death in Puss in Boots: the Last Wish) is phenomenal as the loose, care-free Joel, who starts out excited and thrilled about the civil war raging across the U.S. Naturally, his attitude will change as the stakes become a bit too personal for him. Stephen McKinley Henderson is one of the great character actors of our time, and he is incredibly lovable as Sammy, the softy of the group. He's very experienced, and his time on-the-job has taught him invaluable lessons he doesn't hesitate to share with others.

Civil War gives audiences a peek into the lives of war-time photo-journalists, what they have to do, and what they have to turn themselves into in order to do their jobs properly/effectively. It’s pretty disturbing, as our characters can appear emotionless, insensitive, careless, and incautious at times. They don’t think when they snap their pics, but it’s done so that those viewing their snapshots can. Ultimately, you’ll find yourself empathizing with and caring for our roving group of photo-journalists by the end.

When Civil War starts, the U.S. has already fallen. A corrupt President has disbanded the FBI, authorized the use of air strikes against American civilians (presumably protesters), and is now in his third-term (He’s essentially Trump without Trump’s mannerisms and way of speaking). Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Wyoming, Washington (State), Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, and North and South Dakota have seceded from the Union.

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana have formed the Florida Alliance. Texas and California have formed the Western Forces. Utah, Wyoming, Washington (State), Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, and North and South Dakota have formed The New People’s Army. The remaining states are loyal to the former U.S./ The Govt. . They are all fighting each other non-stop.

Civil War feels real to how a Civil War in the U.S. might play out. Most have forgotten who they are fighting and why. The war has turned into a game of: “There’s people over there trying to kill us. We have to kill them first.” The cinematography by Rob Hardy is outstanding. It’s often haunting, always gorgeous. The production design by Caty Maxey is superb.

The U.S. is almost unrecognizable, having been turned into a dystopian nightmare. Some buildings burn, others crumble. Forests blaze long into the night, shopping malls stand desolate, abandoned cars litter/clog the highway, crashed helicopters adorn parking lots, artillery fire lights up the night sky, and football stadiums have been turned into shelters for the less-fortunate. Civil War is A24’s most expensive film to date, costing the studio $50 million dollars to produce. You can tell, as the scope of the film is breath-taking.

Alex Garland directs and writes. His direction is expertly done as usual, and the screenplay is strong. Garland is mostly known for his sci-fi sensibilities. With Civil War, he takes a more grounded, realistic approach towards his subject matter. In other hands, Civil War could be big and bombastic, but for the most part it’s not. It often feels more intimate and personal despite the film’s large canvas.

Civil War does play host to some action, but this is not an action film. It’s not necessarily a fun watch as the proceedings are often tense, gripping, horrifying, disturbing, and deeply affecting. The Winter Wonderland scene, Jesse Plemons’ scene, and the final 20 minutes or so are bound to go down as some of the most memorable cinematic moments of 2024.

Civil War comments on the divided nation we currently find ourselves in, and provides a stark warning for the path we might be headed down in the near future (it also doesn’t take sides). With expert direction, a strong screenplay, superb acting, and stunning production design and cinematography, Civil War firmly establishes itself as one of the best films of 2024. It will make you feel like you’ve been through a war. Expect this one to linger long after the screen fades to black.

5 STARS
Loki had a friend text me I saved money by not going, it was terrible, and he took a nap :lol:

Loki had a friend text me I saved money by not going, it was terrible, and he took a nap :lol:

I can't remember a movie that has divided the online critics I typically trust down the middle more than this one. Definitely a love/hate kind of film, but can't predict where anyone going to fall. Guess I'm going to have to watch it.

Meanwhile on Apple+ TV ...

Argyle got a lot of hate but, if you're a fan of the Kingsmen franchise, this is basically the fourth film in the series. Not just the Easter eggs, but the tone and over-the-top twists and violence and the way it lovingly spoofs an existing spy genre--(GENUINE HUGE SPOILER)
this time more the Bourne films than 007
. Sam Rockwell and Bryce Dallas Howard do a great job with the material; if you like either of them or Kingsmen, worth a watch.

Sugar started promisingly enough--a modern day noir intercut with 1 or 2-second scenes from classic B&W movies--but by its third episode gets really convoluted and increasingly difficult to believe. It doesn't help that Colin Farrell is head and shoulders above the other actors--an Oscar-nominated actor slumming it with a cast from a USA Network show. I'll probably catch the fourth episode if I have time, but can't recommend it unless the back half of the season turns around.

Reactions: belloq87
I enjoyed Civil War

A Very great suspenseful film

The last act might be my favorite part.

Also what a smart choice on who is the POV in this film, lets you see the world without it having to be all narration