Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ghibli Park

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Studio Ghibli is finally opening a theme park expecting to open in 2022. The park will be built at the Expo 2005 Aichi Commemorative Park in Nagakute city.

Miyazaki is the co-founder of Ghibli and the mastermind behind timeless classics like ‘Princess Momonoke’ and 'Castle In The Sky.' The theme park will honor his works, as one of the most successful animators of his time. His movie, ‘Spirited Away’, won the Oscar for best animated film in 2003, the first Japanese film to receive such an award. Miyazaki went into retirement in 2014, marking a sad time for the animation world. However, last year he announced he would be making one final film, to be released in 2019 or 2020. The film will be made for his grandson and is his way of leaving something behind for him when he is no longer around.

Concept art has been revealed of the 5 areas have been revealed.

ozu0siyacyx7jcclvaub.png

fxxolrsyjaz3sgaexvpn.png

holtjkqnm3sexod8z4rn.png

macfa4ofihgqq0ltizay.png

The site is already home to the house from the hit film My Neighbor Totoro

dvizk0wzdum2kopbiycv.png

Is this a major thing in Japan? I’ve never heard of the studio or the films.
They are basically the Japanese equivalent of Disney animated films. They are fairly beloved by animation fans and obviously people who are anime fans. But they transcend the anime genre in many people's view including my own. Definitely some beautiful films, my personal favorite being Castle in the Sky.

Outside of Sanrio..Ghibli for a lack of a better words, is iconic in the entertainment industry; with many of their works being given with high remarks (and as @quinnmac000 stated, won an oscar for Best Animated Film with Spirited Away (even though it was released in the US about a year after it's JP debut)).

What?! Oh man, some amazing animated films. Other than the previously mentioned films above, a personal favorite is the devastating Grave of the Fireflies. Beautiful animation with a heartbreakingly humanistic narrative about the impact of WWII. I’d like to see a small tribute to the picture in the park, but it’s honestly too depressing to feature.

This video seems to indicate that they will be adding rides to Ghibli Park? I'll try translating it over lunch...

EDIT: Yeah, hajimete no norimono is pretty unambiguous. As far as I'm aware, this wasn't part of the initial announcement for the Howl/Kiki area, and is a pretty significant shift in strategy for the new park.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how involved this new land is compared to the more museum-like lands found throughout the rest of the park. Two flat rides, a city street, and even kinetic elements on Howl's castle.

I'm surprised how involved this new land is compared to the more museum-like lands found throughout the rest of the park. Two flat rides, a city street, and even kinetic elements on Howl's castle.

I'd have to ride the carousel like 50 times, lol

Love the "fake magic people" pulling the cart from Howls Moving Castle