Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Netflix heads will crow that they achieved "good revenue" and "record viewership" from this film but in the back of their heads they'll know that's only because they released and marketed it for theaters, and that they left money on the table after this week. Betting that Knives Out 3 gets a full release.

Netflix heads will crow that they achieved "good revenue" and "record viewership" from this film but in the back of their heads they'll know that's only because they released and marketed it for theaters, and that they left money on the table after this week. Betting that Knives Out 3 gets a full release.
Glass Onion is the widest release for that Netflix has ever done and it isn't even technically a wide release as it's only 700 theaters. A Wide release is 1000 theaters or more.

I think Glass Onion is going to be the movie where Netflix and their board/shareholders finally get a chance to look at the real loss of money Netflix is taking on their movies. Knives Out 2 was a chance for Netflix to make serious bank and instead their only gonna walk home with a small amount of theatrical change and take a loss on everything else. There's only so many people you can get to subscribe to Netflix so at a certain point, you've run out of ways to monetize by increasing subscriber growth and then all you're doing is spending money to retain subs.

By the time Knives Out 3 comes out, I think Netflix movies going to theaters for at least 2-3 week stints is going to be a regular occurrence. They put out a crap ton of movies every year, but I can easily see them choosing at least 6-8 to throw in theaters for a few weeks to make some money back. Going forward, Netflix is going to have to resort to every possible way of making money as they their sub growth continues to slow down.

Reactions: MrBlonde and Tobias
Glass Onion is the widest release for that Netflix has ever done and it isn't even technically a wide release as it's only 700 theaters. A Wide release is 1000 theaters or more.

I think Glass Onion is going to be the movie where Netflix and their board/shareholders finally get a chance to look at the real loss of money Netflix is taking on their movies. Knives Out 2 was a chance for Netflix to make serious bank and instead their only gonna walk home with a small amount of theatrical change and take a loss on everything else. There's only so many people you can get to subscribe to Netflix so at a certain point, you've run out of ways to monetize by increasing subscriber growth and then all you're doing is spending money to retain subs.

By the time Knives Out 3 comes out, I think Netflix movies going to theaters for at least 2-3 week stints is going to be a regular occurrence. They put out a crap ton of movies every year, but I can easily see them choosing at least 6-8 to throw in theaters for a few weeks to make some money back. Going forward, Netflix is going to have to resort to every possible way of making money as they their sub growth continues to slow down.
Eh, disagree. 700 theaters is enough to get natural hype out into the social media-sphere so people who didn’t have the chance to watch in the limited run will watch on Netflix, which I think is their goal. Not only do you not have to share subscriber revenue with theaters, but for the most part anyone who signs up just for this will likely leave the subscription activated (or just forget about it) for a few months. $10 movie ticket < $10 monthly repeat charge.

Reactions: graspthesun
Saw it earlier today and really enjoyed it, a lot of fun twists and a good chunk of laughs on top of it. The theater I was in was downright packed, too, so I gotta' echo the sentiment that there's money just being left on the table by keeping this as a sneak preview. The first film was a massive success story for a mid-budget film, and with this film getting a good reception as well, you wanna' ride that wave into something that's actually getting you money since paid subscriptions still aren't cutting it.

The movie is fine, honestly could've been better. Really felt the lack of Ana de Armas as the heart of the film, and while the film's funny it never reaches the high of KO1 with its "Nazi boy" line or final shot. Hahn, Bautista, and Hudson were excellent.

Glad I got to see it in a theater though, and I appreciate Rian for attempting a new structural/genre sleight of hand this time around even if it's nowhere near as elegant as the first one.

The movie is fine, honestly could've been better. Really felt the lack of Ana de Armas as the heart of the film, and while the film's funny it never reaches the high of KO1 with its "Nazi boy" line or final shot. Hahn, Bautista, and Hudson were excellent.

Glad I got to see it in a theater though, and I appreciate Rian for attempting a new structural/genre sleight of hand this time around even if it's nowhere near as elegant as the first one.
I think this film tried to be a flip of the first film and focus on the villain and get to know him better, while the first film we found out how he died and the rest of the movie was...can she get away with it (when she didn't mean to kill him)

Which I agree the first film had a better hook then the twin sister switch in the middle of the film

The environment and atmosphere from the first is genuinely fantastic and beats this film by a mile (Can't go wrong with a Clue House), but god the writing and the characterization in this one genuinely takes the cake.

Part way through Glass Onion the movie had me somewhat lost. It was fun but it just wasn't hitting the highs that Knives Out did, especially since I was pining for a Marta-esque character to ground this story around. Then you get THAT reveal and the movie sucked me right in and had me for the rest of the run time. I don't think it's quiet as good as the Knives Out but Glass Onion is a damn fun time with a great cast once again flexing some great acting skills, a barrel of laughs and a superb, timely story at it's center. Looking forward to more Benoit Blanc adventures!

Finally got around to watching this. What an enjoyable experience that was. It took a little bit in the beginning to get going but once it did it never stopped. Had me guessing what was next and how is going to be revealed. I love Benoit Blanc and look forward to more murder mystery stories from him. The acting was top notch, the writing was superb and just all around a great film.

Just saw this myself, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't feel it was much of a mystery in the sense that the audience had a fair shot at solving it. But it was entertaining, and I got all sorts of "Clue" and "Last of Sheila" vibes. Which, considering the Steven Sondheim cameo, is fitting (if you didn't know, Sondheim is a huge puzzle fantatic, and co-wrote a puzzle murder mystery movie of his own with Anthony Perkins---yes, that Anthony Perkins--and it's really good)

Reactions: Clive