Goblin’s Feast (HHN 33) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Goblin’s Feast (HHN 33)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I initially thought this would be a scary house, but this feels like Dueling Dragons and very whimsical.
I agree with everyone that the podcast had a kind of whimsical vibe, and it was an interesting choice to make the "twist" at the end of the podcast the thing we all know is the premise of the house. BUT, just because the podcast took this tone does not mean the house will too, IMO. There is a lot of content in the podcast - orcs bringing in the "produce" (aka people) in cages, the haunted forest with the dead goblins installed in the trees, the stew pot with people inside, smashing the human skull to start the feast - that could play as grisly and horrific in a house, and this one felt loaded with "this will be a scene in the house" moments. My take listening was that we get the goblin perspective in the podcast and, then, perhaps the human perspective at the event.

I guess I'm the only one that lives this idea. I will gladly accept a fantastical house if it's awesome. I'm actually excited about it now
I'm excited about it lol, I loved Dragons! I thought it would have a creepy atmosphere, but if it's kin to Wicked Growth, then I am hyped either way.

I agree with everyone that the podcast had a kind of whimsical vibe, and it was an interesting choice to make the "twist" at the end of the podcast the thing we all know is the premise of the house. BUT, just because the podcast took this tone does not mean the house will too, IMO. There is a lot of content in the podcast - orcs bringing in the "produce" (aka people) in cages, the haunted forest with the dead goblins installed in the trees, the stew pot with people inside, smashing the human skull to start the feast - that could play as grisly and horrific in a house, and this one felt loaded with "this will be a scene in the house" moments. My take listening was that we get the goblin perspective in the podcast and, then, perhaps the human perspective at the event.
Right! We don't know much about the house and we might get surprised, but I still get that feeling ya know? But that is a great observation too.

Reactions: EAS
My take listening was that we get the goblin perspective in the podcast and, then, perhaps the human perspective at the event.
That’s exactly what I’m feeling. The podcast was mystical and whimsical, but the goblins are talking about the feast like it’s their thanksgiving/4th of july. I’m sure a turkey wouldn’t have very nice things to say about thanksgiving lol

That’s exactly what I’m feeling. The podcast was mystical and whimsical, but the goblins are talking about the feast like it’s their thanksgiving/4th of july. I’m sure a turkey wouldn’t have very nice things to say about thanksgiving lol
we need a Thanksgiving house

Dance Horror GIF by Sony Pictures Entertainment Deutschland

Reactions: EAS
This house is going to be awesome (biased) but also I have no doubt that even if its fantastical, it'll still be scary.

On the nose because it's literally comparing Orcs and Orks but something I see people say a lot when discussing Warhammer 40k is how Orks don't fit because they're kind of goofy. In the same vein, I'm seeing a lot of people putting a lot of weight on the silly podcast forgetting that this house is going to be filled with angry monstrous killing machines, smaller green (maybe funny) killing machines, and what sounds like a finely dressed Hobgoblin, who when not selecting a fancy outfit is... probably also a killing machine.

In my humble opinion, it's a bit like saying a clown house won't be scary because clowns are entertainers

This house is going to be awesome (biased) but also I have no doubt that even if its fantastical, it'll still be scary.

On the nose because it's literally comparing Orcs and Orks but something I see people say a lot when discussing Warhammer 40k is how Orks don't fit because they're kind of goofy. In the same vein, I'm seeing a lot of people putting a lot of weight on the silly podcast forgetting that this house is going to be filled with angry monstrous killing machines, smaller green (maybe funny) killing machines, and what sounds like a finely dressed Hobgoblin, who when not selecting a fancy outfit is... probably also a killing machine.

In my humble opinion, it's a bit like saying a clown house won't be scary because clowns are entertainers
As amar831 excellently put it, the turkey would not find Thanksgiving a cheery festival. While there is ghoulish humor in the comparison, I also think it makes the horror more effective: the goblins are not dumb animals, they have a culture as sophisticated as human society, it just so happens that we humans are livestock rather than peers, and we'll get treated accordingly, with no mercy.

Here are my bits, bobs, musings, and predictions about the podcast:

- I really liked the framing device here of using the narrator for every voice, as if narrating a children's book. I think this will translate into a Tooth Fairy-style set design.
- Doag's house, with thatched ceiling and all, gives me the sense of what the rest of the structures in the house will look like. I'm picturing the cottage of the Seven Dwarfs. Another style point I feel will be echoed is "Over The Garden Wall".
- I think the sleeper hit character of the house will be Doag's easily-enraged mother with a threatening ladle, which I imagine we will eventually meet while in the middle of cooking prep. She probably won't appreciate being disturbed from her prep work.
- Basilwretch the Witch sounds like a fun character! Yes, Chef.
- I appreciate the attention of creating textual female characters in this house - the split this year seems to favor female performers... I wonder if Ghostbusters was taken into account to slot all of the white male face characters this year.
- Calling it: the Mill & water wheel will be the mid-house big-surprise-room. This is where Grubbish the Orc (with Battle Axe) will live. Of course, I predict a gauntlet of Orcs trying to seize us throughout (they're bigger than Goblins and can overpower us!)
- I appreciate the lore drop of Elves being defeated, and imagine that guests who normally don't care about bratty kids or scream queens getting killed may feel a stronger emotional attachment to the elves. When I heard that, I instantly realized that this is as close to a "Lord of the Rings" version of the infamous Universal houses like Maximum Carnage and The Fallen as we will ever get. I love it when Universal takes their success in making us believe that fantasy worlds are real and turn it against us, though it makes my stomach churn when the good guys lose. Hopefully WB sees the execution of finishes and creature effects in this house and considers it a sort of "test run" for future LotR projects.
- I'm interested in the Trolls and Giants, but especially the Giants.
- The Great King, Hobgoblin Royalty, and the Royal Table feel like a finale set piece. I'm picturing "Brave" or "How To Train Your Dragon" in throne room execution.
- It's gonna smell like yeast in there.
- Gnick is a silly name for a bartender goblin.
- I hope Doag's Father is realized in the house. The picture of a snot-riddled, hunchbacked, big-gutted Goblin is giving Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
- I wonder how badly this house will skewer "patriotic holidays". There's a version of this that's very funny and campy, and another that recalls real-world politics and can make one's skin crawl. "The Great Snuffing" is an excellent spooky name for a holiday, and feels like a perversion of Dia De Los Muertos.
- We will definitely be seeing Doag and her big mallet somewhere in the house.
- ...and we will certainly be spit upon by an Orc.
- The Burial Forest feels to be the creepiest part of the house, and I can already picture the strange skeletons of the creatures lodged into the trees.
- I wonder if we will see a live microphone for the Hobgoblin Messenger. Hopefully there will be a very large and frightening pig puppet for him to ride.

- FINAL PREDICTION: Guessing that the facade will be the tavern? General logic seems to indicate that this would be the finale, but I think we'll see feasts bookend the house. The flow seems to me that we'll move from the tavern and bar (like Darkest Deal) to the kitchens with Basilwretch (like The Fallen), escaping out the back of the kitchen and traveling through the countryside with the mill (Like Lightning Gulch) and through the Burial Forest while being chased back into farmyards and holding pens with caged Elves inside (like AHS), before being "dragged" into the Great King Pusnubus's Castle.

I really, really do not think this is going to be as lighthearted as people think it is, and imagine it will take a similar tactic as Scary Tales. I didn't find that house particularly "funny" as much as it was creative. I thought it took itself very seriously, actually.

Reactions: EAS and HHN Maddux