Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks more and more like the event is getting canned. RIP. Gonna suck to have nothing to look forward to this fall in SoCal.

Theoretical situation here: With Hollywood 2020 getting canned and HHN 30 still moving forward, let's say Orlando gets the rights to It, Conjuring, Scream, and Hellraiser next year. Let's also say that Hollywood will decide to just reuse what we would've gotten this year for next year. Unless they decide to add to our would-be line up for next year, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if Orlando "moves on" and we get stuck with the leftovers for next year.

Now, if Orlando decides to just reuse the IPs or just do an encore year just switching out a couple of the mazes for new ones to make up for those who couldn't go to 30 this year, then I wouldn't mind just getting what we were supposed to get. It would be nice if they give us the four we were supposed to have if they add a few more on top of it.

Although I will say that out of Texas, Ellish, BJ, and Bride, if one of those IPs got knocked, I would not mind at all seeing Texas get scrapped.

Looks more and more like the event is getting canned. RIP. Gonna suck to have nothing to look forward to this fall in SoCal.

Theoretical situation here: With Hollywood 2020 getting canned and HHN 30 still moving forward, let's say Orlando gets the rights to It, Conjuring, Scream, and Hellraiser next year. Let's also say that Hollywood will decide to just reuse what we would've gotten this year for next year. Unless they decide to add to our would-be line up for next year, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if Orlando "moves on" and we get stuck with the leftovers for next year.

Now, if Orlando decides to just reuse the IPs or just do an encore year just switching out a couple of new mazes to make up for those who couldn't go to 30 this year, then I wouldn't mind just getting what we were supposed to get. It would be nice if they give us the four we were supposed to have if they add a few more on top of it.

Although I will say that out of Texas, Ellish, BJ, and Bride, if one of those IPs got knocked, I would not mind at all seeing Texas get scrapped.
If Hollywood is retaining rights for next year, Orlando won’t pursue big name IPs that Hollywood would want to share. If Hollywood isn’t retaining rights, then they’ll share the new IPs.

If Hollywood is retaining rights for next year, Orlando won’t pursue big name IPs that Hollywood would want to share. If Hollywood isn’t retaining rights, then they’ll share the new IPs.
So if Orlando ditches all of the IPs from 30and brings in new ones, do you think Hollywood will scrap the old ones for the new or will they just try to have both?

So if Orlando ditches all of the IPs from 30and brings in new ones, do you think Hollywood will scrap the old ones for the new or will they just try to have both?
I think any IPs Hollywood retains, Orlando will try to retain or replace with an original.

Plus with how crazy this year is already, whose to say Orlando just won't run an "encore" year when the situation is hopefully more under control for those that were not comfortable going this year with new originals replacing this year's originals.

Well it's sad it won't happen but if its for the best then so be it.

Also I have to Lol, at someone saying Knotts is a better event than Universal. I love knotts for how many mazes and what it does but it's not at the same level as Universal.
I have fun any any haunt event, I will even defend Six Flags (even if last year they literally didn't add a new maze it was all repeats) but Universal is the King in California and people don't flood it just because Scary Farm is cheaper and next to Disneyland which has no problems getting crowds. Its Because Universal puts on a hell of a show each year and wish they didn't because the crowds suck but the event it great,

Also I have to Lol, at someone saying Knotts is a better event than Universal. I love knotts for how many mazes and what it does but it's not at the same level as Universal.
I have fun any any haunt event, I will even defend Six Flags (even if last year they literally didn't add a new maze it was all repeats) but Universal is the King in California and people don't flood it just because Scary Farm is cheaper and next to Disneyland which has no problems getting crowds. Its Because Universal puts on a hell of a show each year and wish they didn't because the crowds suck but the event it great,
scary farm has the advantage of originals, and I think in that regard it really excedes expectations of creativity, even if Cooke kinda carried them the last few years, and knotts will always have the scarezone advantage, I think knotts takes a significant hit because of the maze actors, some of them do really great jobs but others are just way out of character and really mess up the experience for me.

scary farm has the advantage of originals, and I think in that regard it really excedes expectations of creativity, even if Cooke kinda carried them the last few years, and knotts will always have the scarezone advantage, I think knotts takes a significant hit because of the maze actors, some of them do really great jobs but others are just way out of character and really mess up the experience for me.
For Sure and in no way do I want to take away from Knotts doing well...I have a blast at all three haunt events (six flags, knotts and universal) But Universal actors and sets/costumes just are the best period and I love IPs.

Like I know many liked Pandora's box....and it was great but Ghostbusters, Us and Killer clowns for me is what I will remember from that year.
Heck many of the Ip's like Killer Clowns are sooo out there they feel like Original Ip's anyway. The movie is much sillier than what we got in the maze.

But i think Universal is the king of it on the west coast and why it gets the biggest crowds.

We're obviously all entitled to our opinion, but the numbers and rankings clearly show every year that it's 1. Universal Orlando 2. Knott's and then everybody else. Hollywood isn't even ranked in the top 5. I know awards aren't exactly the end all be all, but talking about people flooding to events, the mass appeal is with those two at the top. And there's absolutely a reason for that.

If they could give a ranking for scareactors, Hollywood would be number 1. They're trained by the best and have to go through a more rigorous audition process than just taking people off of the street, like most parks do. However, they NEED the scareactors to carry the event, because for the most part, the sets are not detailed and thrown together (gluing road signs to walls to pass for a city limit? Come on). There are a few nice set pieces here and there, but other than that, their design flaws are blatant and lazy. Maybe that's changed in the past 5 years since I've gone, but from the videos I've seen, that's not the case.

Last edited:
We're obviously all entitled to our opinion, but the numbers and rankings clearly show every year that it's 1. Universal Orlando 2. Knott's and then everybody else. Hollywood isn't even ranked in the top 5. I know awards aren't exactly the end all be all, but talking about people flooding to events, the mass appeal is with those two at the top. And there's absolutely a reason for that.

If they could give a ranking for scareactors, Hollywood would be number 1. They're trained by the best and have to go through a more rigorous audition process than just taking people off of the street, like most parks do. However, they NEED the scareactors to carry the event, because for the most part, the sets are not detailed and thrown together (gluing road sins to walls to pass for a city limit? Come on). There are a few nice set pieces here and there, but other than that, their design flaws are blatant and lazy. Maybe that's changed in the past 5 years since I've gone, but from the videos I've seen, that's not the case.
Then Maybe the actors just make it all work but I've never heard anyone I'm with complain about the sets. Knotts while fun (and i know they have been getting better) sometimes feels like low budget compared to what we see at Universal. The Energy also dies by midnight at Knotts...no clue if they don't get breaks or what but I've gone though knotts mazes past midnight and people just kinda walk up to and flip their cap at you or something and thats it.

But I went to Universal 4 times last year and besides Stranger things (which did suck) I think the event was really great, especially the 80's Thursdays

If they could give a ranking for scareactors, Hollywood would be number 1. They're trained by the best and have to go through a more rigorous audition process than just taking people off of the street, like most parks do. However, they NEED the scareactors to carry the event, because for the most part, the sets are not detailed and thrown together (gluing road sins to walls to pass for a city limit? Come on). There are a few nice set pieces here and there, but other than that, their design flaws are blatant and lazy. Maybe that's changed in the past 5 years since I've gone, but from the videos I've seen, that's not the case.
Sets definitely aren't hollywood's strongsuit, which I partially attribute to the way they go about the design, I'm not an expert on the behind the scenes aspects of the event, though I know that Hollywood leans fairly heavily on hand drawn designs while Orlando has dipped their toes into using computer software more than we have, and I think being able to see sets in a 3d rendered space is extremely beneficial to the design, and allows for more dynamic sets, although I do think there are a few that have met Orlando in terms of quality, even in recent years. Although even ignoring the difference in design formats Hollywood seems to take a big budget hit every year when it comes to the sets, we've had a lot of situations where we hear about scenes that were supposed to make it into a maze, only to be replaced with black walls because there were budget cuts, 2017 saw this most drastically. Masks and costumes are kinda a mixed bag in Hollywood for me, but I think they're also an aspect that goes overlooked. A lot of them look really fantastic and detailed, and in that facet I've always preferred them over orlando, but in terms of comfort and function I've heard theyre really lacking, since they're designed pretty much with form over function.

Well... maybe Japan will probably still have their event. Might be an excuse to finally go. That is if US can travel. And if you have to be quarantined for two weeks first.

Then Maybe the actors just make it all work but I've never heard anyone I'm with complain about the sets. Knotts while fun (and i know they have been getting better) sometimes feels like low budget compared to what we see at Universal. The Energy also dies by midnight at Knotts...no clue if they don't get breaks or what but I've gone though knotts mazes past midnight and people just kinda walk up to and flip their cap at you or something and thats it.

But I went to Universal 4 times last year and besides Stranger things (which did suck) I think the event was really great, especially the 80's Thursdays
Sets definitely aren't hollywood's strongsuit, which I partially attribute to the way they go about the design, I'm not an expert on the behind the scenes aspects of the event, though I know that Hollywood leans fairly heavily on hand drawn designs while Orlando has dipped their toes into using computer software more than we have, and I think being able to see sets in a 3d rendered space is extremely beneficial to the design, and allows for more dynamic sets, although I do think there are a few that have met Orlando in terms of quality, even in recent years. Although even ignoring the difference in design formats Hollywood seems to take a big budget hit every year when it comes to the sets, we've had a lot of situations where we hear about scenes that were supposed to make it into a maze, only to be replaced with black walls because there were budget cuts, 2017 saw this most drastically. Masks and costumes are kinda a mixed bag in Hollywood for me, but I think they're also an aspect that goes overlooked. A lot of them look really fantastic and detailed, and in that facet I've always preferred them over orlando, but in terms of comfort and function I've heard theyre really lacking, since they're designed pretty much with form over function.

My overall wish is for the quality of HHN to be equal, so that Universal can thrive on both coasts, but I think they'd need a budget increase and team change. This will be my final point that I thought of this morning, and I'll stop ragging on Hollywood after this. It feels like they survive on the IP and that no matter what it is, they don't need to invest the cash to make it look the best it can, because people will show up anyway, just to see "stuff" from that IP.

These feelings are probably attributed to my disdain for IP heavy events, because I believe they suck most the creativity out of the design and are used as a crutch to carry the guest flow to the event. I get that they're a necessary evil in these times, to keep the counts high so that we can have the event to begin with, but overall, I think Hollywood should be held to a higher standard. Whatever that entails.

LOL at Universal is the king

Obviously this will come down to personal preference at the end of the day but Knott's Scary Farm is absolutely a better bang for your buck, no question. I attend Halloween Horror Nights at least once and Knott's Scary Farm 5-6 times a year. It has better repeatability and typically more to do. The price point is lower yes, but just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it is necessarily better.

I would also not take anything away from Knott's by saying the only other reason they have crowds is due to proximity to Disneyland. Scary Farm has been happening for almost 50 years and has built a reputation. That reputation is why they have a massively popular event every year.

Last edited:
Obviously this will come down to personal preference at the end of the day but Knott's Scary Farm is absolutely a better bang for your buck, no question. I attend Halloween Horror Nights at least once and Knott's Scary Farm 5-6 times a year. It has better repeatability and typically more to do. The price point is lower yes, but just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it is necessarily better.

I would also not take anything away from Knott's by saying the only other reason they have crowds is due to proximity to Disneyland. Scary Farm has been happening for almost 50 years and has built a reputation. That reputation is why they have a massively popular event every year.
Honestly this is such news to me people prefer knotts, on most forums HHN dominates the conversation and coverage.

To each there own, I think both do different things better like how Knotts has for the most part more things to do and spreads the crowds around but still think HHN are the events I think about more after the fact.

Honestly this is such news to me people prefer knotts, on most forums HHN dominates the conversation and coverage.

To each there own, I think both do different things better like how Knotts has for the most part more things to do and spreads the crowds around but still think HHN are the events I think about more after the fact.

Totally.

Again, it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. For me Scary Farm just has more to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.